PT Criuser. Any problems!

Page 1 / 2
chicane8, Feb 14, 12:36am
Missus wants a PT. I'm not so keen but want my shirts ironed so may have to start looking. Cant afford late model so probably 03 or earlier. Any problems with them! I've seem some advertised saying head gasket has been done - common problem! Anything else! Any advice would be appreciated as I've so far never even sat in one.

vtecintegra, Feb 14, 12:40am
Go and sit in one - I'll bet you'll no longer be keen to buy

ginga4lyfe, Feb 14, 12:49am
i was thinking the same, also remember its american, if you really wanted one, you should have bought it when it was new, and only kept it for the 3 years it was good for, its also not a common car, so expect things to go wrong that not many people have experience fixing on them, and also for it to be costly if it is does break

ct9a, Feb 14, 1:12am
they are dogs to do cambelt/water pump on!

johnf_456, Feb 14, 1:47am
+1 Thats only the beginning.

chicane8, Feb 14, 2:07am
hooboy! Shes not gonna be fond of you lot! And I better get used to crumpled shirts. Responses are pretty much as expected. Thanks for the sound advice

jason18, Feb 14, 2:12am
hahah My olds neighbours have one. Has spent more time off the road than on.

807, Feb 14, 4:16am
It's not hard to iron a shirt.

smac, Feb 14, 4:26am
MIL had one. No issues at all. Just thirsty and slow (underpowered tank).

franc123, Feb 14, 4:51am
Pulling the radiator out of one is no picnic either, theres a big price to pay when repairs are needed when you design a front end and bonnet in the way that they have. An old Mini has more space around the engine than those things.The interiors are also quite cramped considering their target market was obese Yanks that wanted to look trendy for a couple of years before updating the lease to the next model.

sifty, Feb 14, 7:02am
Any problems!

yes, your missus has appalling taste.

chicane8, Feb 14, 7:36am
Thanks sifty, people have been telling her that for years.

carkitter, Feb 14, 8:45am
Haha! Good one.

Take her for a test drive in a VW New Beetle instead. Make sure you take along a flower for the daisy holder on the dashboard and she'll be sold. That way you won't have to spend the rest of your life explaining to everyone you meet why you bought a PT Cruiser.

tibby1947, Feb 20, 5:31am
Buy her a PT.! A lot of anti-PT's on here- again! I have had my 03 for a year now, goes well although the 2litre struggles if four biggies on board. (I am to add a Airaidintake filter to boost this a bit). Just got back from a solo 250k round trip to Battle of Streets in Paeroa and my PT held its own on that back road by the Kaimai's - cruising at 110 however the big bikes just flew past. Those guys are legends! Cambelt, waterpump and other bits did cost $1800 but worth it for a car with character, and when adding all the bling available from the States or UK, your wife will even iron your undies.!

thelms, Feb 20, 6:46am
+1 then again hate to think what colour shirts hubby wears!

robertsons-nes, Feb 20, 7:34am
hahaha i would expect any car to do paeroa and back with no problems hahahha my 91 pathfinder done 300,000 ks would do that,quite frankly the P T s were very overrated and the resell market is very limited and getting more so by the day.get her a new shape mini lot cooler

hounddog2, Feb 20, 11:32am
rotor and brake pad killers

lyonruge, Feb 20, 6:13pm
I've done a cambelt on one, - send me your shirts, i'll iron them!

mottly, Feb 20, 9:20pm
I know lots of women with PT's and they love em.Heaps of room in them, and good clearance - don't worry about how much of a pain the work is on them - get her one, but tell her she's gotta pay for repairs :)

elect70, Feb 21, 1:18am
^^^ funny manas soon as it breaks downyou are the 1 she turns to- fix my caror else .

mrdairyflat, Feb 21, 1:23am
Tell her the news is "woman dont look cool in em" makes em look old.

lol

namespace, Feb 21, 5:02am
My Mum was thinking about trading up her old Nissan to a PT Cruiser, she likes oddball cars and has owned an old Beetle and a Renault minivan.I was down at my mechanics the other day and had smoko with the boys in their lunch room, I mentioned Mum was thinking about buying a PT Cruiser and they burst out laughing.They mentioned many problems such as the engine needing to be removed every 3-4 years for servicing, also they said that on the cars bodyshell the edges of the sheetmetal are very sharp, where one piece of sheetmetal meets another, and that the car's wiring rubs against the sharp edges which knackers the wiring.So I'm not advocating Mum buying a PT.

Speaking of Mum, I've been using her Trademe account 'namespace' for some time and have now decided to make my own account called 'meow_mix'.If anyone wondered 'namespace' is a computer term for a type of software or something, Mum works in IT using computers, anyway this is her account, please leave her alone!

meow_mix, Feb 21, 5:04am
Hey kiddies, hope you like my new name which is named after my prefered cat biscuits.

tibby1947, Feb 21, 2:50pm
meow_mix - you should not post silly messages under mums Tme account. Let her buy a PT, don't listen to mechanics that talk out of their bottoms. Engine needs slightly moving to do cambelt - not taking out. Bodyshell edges.never heard of this allegation, maybe another falicy. Why do people like to 'knock' something that is just that bit different to the norm! Have you sat in a PT! Great seating posi and such comfort and security. Maybe the solid build affects performance, but I would rather live through an accident than be squashed in a tin box. Anyhow each to his own but a lot of talking from hearsay on here does annoy me.! Vent over, back to bed - 3.50am and still not slept

lovemore_mbigi, Feb 21, 7:00pm
That's nice dear.It's time for your fizzy orange, pills and nappy change.So say goodbye to all your little friends and come inside.