Setting ignition timing

ontwowheels, Feb 23, 11:28pm
Hi, I need to set/ check my timing. It is an 84 corolla ae82r, 1600 carby with electronic ignition (i think- has a dizzy and coil pack). I have been told that there is a possibility that I need to either block off a vacuum line, or short circuit some electrical plug to get a correct reading on my timing. Is this true!
How do I go about this task (beyond clipping my timing light on)
Thanks

andy61, Feb 24, 12:03am
Is it NZ new or an import!.From memory the NZ new Corollas had points ignition,block off vacuum line to dizzy to do timing,but do the points as well,if it has them.(I had a 84-5 Corolla 1.6 and couldn`t believe it when I found out it had points,god I hated those points after having cars with elec.ignition)

ontwowheels, Feb 24, 12:06am
cars is with my wife at work t mo, but I am pretty sure it doesnt have points. But as I have never owned a car with points, how do I tell! (retard question I know)

budgel, Feb 24, 12:26am
"But as I have never owned a car with points, how do I tell! "

You look under the distributor cap.

ontwowheels, Feb 24, 12:53am
Sweet thanks. Will check this arvo.

jasongroves, Feb 24, 12:57am

jasongroves, Feb 24, 12:58am
Points gap should be 0.2mm-0.4mm

ontwowheels, Feb 24, 1:17am
sweet thanks, Ill have to take it to work so I can use the feeler gauges, and check timing. When I was looking at it the other day I noticed 2 vacuum tubes pointing directly up under the air filter housing, that do not have hoses on or lead anywhere. Should they be like that, doesnt seem right to have vacuum lines open like that. Will post photo tomorrow if I can figure out how.
Cheers.

jasongroves, Feb 24, 1:24am
Picture would be good:)
To upload a photo, save it to a folder on your computer (My Pictures for example), go to
http://imageshack.us/ (sign up first) and click 'browse'. Find the picture in the folder you saved it to, click 'open', then 'upload now'. Once uploaded, click 'full size'. Then right click the address bar, copy the link and paste here.like so: http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4262/carst.jpg

ontwowheels, Mar 1, 9:30pm
http://img638.imageshack.us/i/dsc04823g.jpg/ The 2 little up tubes which I referred to in an earlier post, upon closer inspection, they are actually the 2 ends of the same tube, with nothing joining on to them. http://img143.imageshack.us/i/dsc04825m.jpg/
My lttle 84 run around, very cheap to run and bloody tidy for its age! However it is still not running right. It is still hesitating or surging, this can be felt at low speed with a steady throttle ie slow in 2nd. Also if you put your foot down it hesitates, like it keeps missing or something.
So far I have:
Cleaned carb with carb clean,
replaced dizzy cap (was poked, but rotor looked OK)
replaced spark plugs
Checked timing by blocking off vacuum line to carby and setting timing to aprox 6deg at 750rpm with a warm motor.
I am about to go to parts master and get some new leads for it as the outer casing is starting to break down.
Next step I guess will be to set points gaps, or maybe the dwell time as I have been told this is more important. I just need to figure out how to do that.
Failing these what else can I do! I am mechanically minded, and short of cash so would very much like to fix this myself.

smac, Mar 1, 10:50pm
Dwell time IS points gap. i.e. how far the points open determines how long they open for (dwell). Dwell is a measure of how long the contact is broken (or isn't broken.I forget).

SO, setting gap is just an indirect sort of direct way of changing dwell, however of you have a timing light that does dwell it's a far better way of setting it. Gap is simply used because it can be done without a fancy pants timing light, but it's not the actual thing you are trying to set.

ontwowheels, Mar 1, 11:56pm
thanks, sooo to set my gaps I need. just some feeler gauges!
How do I go about it! Just took car for a drive, it is getting worse I think, and its just when cruising at a constant speed, under acceleration it is not too bad.

jasongroves, Mar 2, 1:24am

ontwowheels, Jun 5, 2:05pm
Thanks I will look at all this tomorrow hopefully, IGn timing easy to do again, vacuum works as the idle increased when I unplugged the vaccuum this morning taking the air filter housing off, will check the diaphragm for leaks.