So how about the guy with the lexus

Page 2 / 2
richardmayes, Mar 3, 7:33am
Murchison.! Was SH1 North out of Chch closed!

The article does not say he drove like an idiot at 120km/h or even 100km/h the whole way, I don't understand why people seem to assume he did!

OTOH I've seen plenty of cars driving thru Otira covered in snow, probably with less visibility than this bloke would have had.

LOL at all the armchair warriors condemning the driver, many of you are frequently criticising traffic policing on here and bemoaning how ridiculous it is that the cops expect you to look at your speedo every once in a while. Amazing how the tides turn when someone wearing a tie and driving a Lexus is in the gun.

johnf_456, Mar 3, 7:35am
Well said.

johnf_456, Mar 3, 7:37am
Just look at the car if you think thats ok, you can't be serious. Its not the visibility its safety to, especially of Innocent people.

johnf_456, Mar 3, 7:39am
Yip chocolate fish for you.

richardmayes, Mar 3, 7:42am
He appears to have adequate clearance to the guards around all of the wheels, the wheels appear to have pretty normal-looking camber and toe, i.e. the chassis seems square enough that I can imagine it rolling along at 40-50km/h on a deserted road without posing any more of a menace to anyone than plenty of ridiculously lowered Honda Skidlines that I see around the place.

Given that he was evacuating from a national disaster zone, sorry but I can't get too upset about this effort. As others have said kicking out the screen might have been a smart move.

johnf_456, Mar 3, 7:44am
No excuse regardless, you didn't see everyone else running in damaged cars. Can you imagine what would happen if everyone did the same in broken cars, peoples lifes are at risk get over yourself. Especially at night, no wipers, it would be hard to say due to the way light reflects through broken class. Mean while people get pinged all the time on bullshit while the cops just let this moron go.

The car is unsafe at any speed.

franc123, Mar 3, 7:44am
Absolute rubbish and you know it.The speed it was allegedly driven at is irrelevant, to quote Ralph Nader it was "unsafe at any speed", it shouldn't have even been driven at walking pace.The lack of visibility was only ONE of the whole raft of safety issues.It's doubtful that even the most moronic of boyracers or budding Undie 500 entrants would have considered taking to the road in that thing.

richardmayes, Mar 3, 7:46am
Really!

#37.

dunar, Mar 3, 7:49am
Bet if it was a young guy in boy racer type car cops would have pink sticker-ed it and fined him heaps for driving an un-road worthy car

johnf_456, Mar 3, 7:49am
Yes really, you may as well drive with the roof chopped off, no seats, seat belt same principal.

ryans, Mar 3, 8:00am
Agreed, so stupid they're proud of it, they could have killed someone driving that, but they don't care.

welshdude, Mar 3, 8:20am
He should've smashed the windscreen out and worn goggles!

zephyrheaven, Mar 3, 8:23am
I could have killed the same amount of people driving 12km from work to find my son - am I any better worse than this guy!

We all panicked & hit the road, by some weird luck I took the jacked up Hilux on 35's which I utilized to climb over all footpaths & traffic islands to be near him again & ensure his safety

Until you stand in this place when the earth moves 2.2G under your feet you will never know what you will do for safety & the sanctity of others

zephyrheaven, Mar 3, 8:27am
Also loving the sympathetic cops atm - Ive been doing smoko runs on the MX bike as its way easier getting around diggers etc, heaps of mates getting about on FMX bikes with no lights/plates

It sure sorted out the lowered cars & hoons - wouldnt take anything under a 200mm ground clearance and a huge sidewalled tyre into town now

johnf_456, Mar 3, 8:31am
The difference is your vehicle is safe not his and you didn't go 600km! 600km is a bit over the top for safety, been in earthquakes myself FYI, I was in chch on work last week,

bmxer4, Mar 3, 9:04am
I wonder if that Lexus had been an old Bighorn or Pajero driven (sensibly) by some bogans would it have been pink stickered before it even left town!

I agree James, having a truck is mighty handy right now. Having second thoughts about letting the VX go. I've been carting shovels, a wheelbarrow and my bike in the back around the bumpy eastern suburbs with no sweat.

clark20, Mar 3, 9:11am
Its on Youtube but I can't find it, it was a Formula Atlantic