VN V6 needs more.

Page 2 / 2
dave653, Jan 16, 9:44pm
What about a bigger diameter zorst! Have kept it at the std 2.25, going up in size might let it breathe. just don't want it any louder. Would cutting the bottom out of the airbox (and through the inner guard) be worth anything!
When the engine needs some tlc, I'll do the cam, heads, pistons, etc then.

budgel, Jan 16, 9:59pm
My understanding is that a larger diameter exhaust will help top end, where you are looking for more low to mid range torque.

That link that edangus posted looks good if it is to be believed.

attitudedesignz, Jan 16, 10:04pm
Yes but, when that's removed the engine idles like a piece of c##p. I know alot of people that have removed it then put it right back on again lol.

dave653, Jan 16, 10:08pm
I personally reckon lower diff gears will achieve quicker passing times, of course, the speedo drive will have to be looked at. I have been told to find 3.23 or 3.45 gears from a manual falcon, I don't think 3.23 will make a big enough difference for the cost involved, but the 3.45 might hurt economy a bit. it is our 'going away' car as my HJ is too loud and uncomfortable apparently.
Fine line!

rocky0169, Jan 17, 6:59am
probly cheapest way to get some power out of it is to let it breath, open exaust, 8 mm leads. cold air intake clean the throttle bottle or fit a 65mm throttle body frm the 5.0 injected motor

foxdonut, Jan 17, 7:05am
Exact budget, what is it!

petermcg, Jan 17, 8:29am
Hey Bud if it was a small block chev i would give you a precise answer but its not.I would NOT change the diff ratio with an auto trans 3.08 is good,, down to 3.36 if it was manual. Im sure you could have some gains buy changing the camshaft, and playing with the intake,, I personally think that you want a lower vacuum signal at the manifold, it may take tourque from the bottom end and give it back midrange and up top. So big intake, High over lap big duration cam,, and then get the OBD2 interface for your laptop and start tuning .

hondalova, Jan 17, 10:02am
are these a direct bolt on! i have a buick powered (3.8 v6) commy aswell, i have a pod filter fitted and a cold air box fitted, noticed a bit of difference in acceleration and tone,can you give me more facts about the 5litre V8 T/B.

dave653, Jan 17, 10:02pm
I believe the V6 and V8 t/bs are the same.
I reckon the t/b is bigger than the initial intake at the airbox, just might hack it open anyway.

foxdonut, Jan 17, 10:26pm
You'd be better off just buying the the whole V8 car.

Or drive the V6 like a normal person, not some retard who justifies driving a Commodore like a retard in the interests of "passing trucks safely".

Is it red by any chance!

3tomany, Jan 17, 10:36pm
get a v8 and if that dont work you need an xr6t

dave653, Jan 17, 10:42pm
Just spoke to orto tranny dude, reckons the slush box may be a bit crook after 314,000 kms. Thats something I didn't expect, I asked about fitting a lockup converter. he says it's already got one. doesn't feel like it!

paddyman, Jan 18, 3:05am
Ring WASP marine in Queenstown, ask for Bill he rebuilds them for the jetboats down there.

dave653, Jan 20, 12:56am
Not trans related but some Commy owners may appreciate this. The fuel tank vent hoses (clear plastic from the factory) were ALL rotted out! When I filled the tank, fumes were still there 1/2 hr down the road. The main problem is. the tank has to come out to replace the lot, as the hoses run through a 'tunnel' between the floor and chassis rail! Bloody designers never 'worked' on a car before! Also has stopped fuel leaking out while cornering.
3mtr of nitrole was $11.

gmphil, Jan 20, 6:58am
yup there do have lock up converters

dave653, Jan 21, 7:21am
Ok, cheers. Must be issues with the box, my 179 will accelerate quicker to 160 than the VN. Time to get rid of more money I spose.

doug207, Jan 21, 8:10am
Easiest way to upgrade a VN to something that almost has power is to sell it and buy a VS, people seem to pay good money for a VN these days, so I'd say it's achievable. The VS is also a better car in every way.

dave653, Jan 21, 8:18am
Not gunna happen, I'm not one of those morons who spend a lot of money on a car just to sell it, buy another, and start all over again. 'er indoors would like a newer car. but she can't look after the one she has.
Had the chance to get a VT, from a mate. too much of a pain in the arse to work on.

gmphil, Jan 21, 8:45am
must btrans prob my standard old vn is quick of the mark bein whilesince driven a straight six but dont remember them being any near as quick

guider1, Jan 21, 5:46pm
Ok. V6 throttlebody is 60mm & V8 is 65mm; direct bolt-on but only gives more upper-mid to upper power gain.
If you over-exhaust it then it'll lose power; lots of people do this because it "sounds cool" but I have seen power loss on dynos with V8's due to over-zealous exhaust modification. Example: A twin 3" on a 350 is a waste of time unless the thing has lots of HP, compression & revs to around 8000; twin 3" is enough for a 650hp bigblock, not a 300hp 5.7 or 5.0L.
K&N or Simota panel filter if you dont already have 1.
3.45 gears make a huge difference but will indeed hurt your economy.
Removing the restrictor wont give you any down-low gains whatsoever, they were put there to increase torque.
If you really want gains then i'd suggest putting it on the dyno & getting it tweaked for optimum power.
Failing that my friend has a fresh Super-six engine with Stinger ECU for sale. it has the cam, headers, tune etc all done; I think it's around the $4k mark for everything.

dave653, Jan 23, 8:53pm
4k for 'everything'! Would that include delivery and installation!

dave653, Jan 25, 8:44am
Haynes manual says the 700-R4 doesn't have a lock up converter. only the 4L60-E (VR and VS) has one.