Personal or car dealer?

hissqueeze, Mar 16, 3:44am
Trying to buy a car on trademe can be a problem, especially when people remember how 4 years or so ago they brought a car that was 10k, the value almost halved the minute the drove it off the car yard and yet expect to get 5k for it. Do people actually realise that a year 97 for example is a 14 year old car. I have actually seen personal sales asking for more or equal to a car dealer! also taking into account cond, age, kms ect. People your cars just arn't worth what you think they are. Look up the markets. True or False!

phillip.weston, Mar 16, 3:47am
True!

ryanm2, Mar 16, 3:47am
Completely true, people are, and always will be thick. Electronic equipment is 10 times worse, paid $1500 for my laptop 3 years ago, $1000 please, yeah whatever.

kyussr32, Mar 16, 4:17am
I have a guy a few streets over been trying to sell a Datsun 280z from the 70s for over a year now. Maybe the $15k (!) asking price is putting a few people off!
My guess is the wifes making him sell it heh.

moosie_21, Mar 16, 4:46am
If my wife couldn't hack it with my car, guess who'd be getting the boot, and it sure wouldn't be my precious car.

franc123, Mar 16, 4:58am
A very intelligent and very true observation IMO.Whats worse is that some of these greedy morons who want back most of what they paid for their unmaintained junk five years ago can't even be bothered to present or photograph their vehicle properly.Only a fool is going to bid or buynow or reply to a classified based on looking at one distant pic of a vehicle or something thats been photographed in the dark.Also cars that are externally dirty and have stained carpets and seats give such a bad impression about how its been cared for it isn't funny.And to make matters worse its often easier and more convenient to simply buy from a dealer anyway, why bother if you aren't going to save anything!

elvis58, Mar 16, 4:58am
And they are just romping off dealers yards, not because they offer finance but because they always get it right.True or false!

jcwholesale, Mar 16, 5:13am
Absolutely true

unideck, Mar 16, 5:24am
Have to agree Tony, just sold my beloved TD5 and to be perfectly honest I am slowly getting peeved off with sellers in the belief that a year 2000 vehicle (Volvo) is woth 8-9k. Dreamers. Looking for a work hack like a Land Rover V8, now they should be cheap all things considered but alas NO, go take a look at these morons selling 95 to 98 V8 Discovery's its a total joke.

unideck, Mar 16, 5:26am
Oh, and don't get me going when it comes to a Ute, holy crap some big time day dreamers, not cleaned, no service history etc and photos taken from like the next street away.

stevo2, Mar 16, 5:47am
TRUE. In many but not every case.I've been saying this on here for ages but who listens!
Many dealers offer way to much for their trade-in because they are taking it off the replacement (which is also overpriced). Joe Bloggs thinks, "oh the dealer is offering me $10k, I should be able to get $11.5k if I sell privately"
What they dont realise is the dealer is going to sell it for $11.5k as they have made their money off the $22k car the customer has just bought.
If dealer A has a car listed at $22k and dealer B has the same car listed at $20k, Dealer A can offer $10k for your trade but dealer B can only offer $8k
Take a look on Trademe to see the difference in "asking" prices then look at the expired listings to see what they are selling for.
Cheers Stevo

unideck, Mar 16, 10:41am
Well, so peeved off looking on here, driving me nuts. Lost the plot today & just got me a G4, sick to death of day dreamers so bought luckily through an owners club, maybe a long way round but its a worthwhile option today, at least ya know its looked after :) Off to dig some mud holes with the new truck next week haha.

unideck, Mar 17, 12:39am
LMAO ^^^^^

stevo2, Jul 27, 9:41pm
Your welcome Kaz.
lol
cheers stevo