Great Wall.?

Page 5 / 5
russ6, Jun 20, 9:36pm
That's what'they'said 30 years ago about Japanese cars.

vtecintegra, Jun 20, 9:42pm
And 30 years ago that wouldn't have been far from the truth.Go and jump into a 1981 Corolla and see how you like it.

mapman, Jun 20, 10:17pm
Bad example vtecintegra , would rather drive a 1981 Morris Marina. 81 Corolla??

vtecintegra, Jun 20, 10:23pm
I think my point stands regardless of how bad the competition also was back then.

The Corolla barely changed between the early 70s and early 80s anyway, it was only with the fwd models it started turning into a genuinely good car.

foxdonut, Jun 20, 11:38pm
Yes, people used to say that about Japan and in a lot of ways it was true. However the REASON it was true was becuase of the American embargoes that were placed on them.

The Japanese were artisan metalsmiths and engineers well before they were selling cars to the world, and even when disadvantaged by inferior quality raw material they managed to beat everyone else.

The Chinese on the other hand just steal and copy everything for cheap.

mapman, Jun 21, 12:03am
Then why do these great metalsmiths get their own car brands built in China!

trouser, Jun 21, 1:11am
To sell cheap cars directly to the chinese.

offrd1, Jun 21, 1:51am
LOL.LOL.Now we're talking.Jeeps for ever .lol.must admit though i have a Chinese winch on mine,works bloody well to.lolmost amusing thread

foxdonut, Jun 21, 4:23am
The same reason Holden just buy a whole lot of crap from a round the world and put their name on it then sell you a fruity looking HRT racing jacket and cap to go with it I suppose.

Last time I checked though, No Japanese car I ever brought was made in China.

Probably some parts sure, but the whole car!

no.

pollymay, Jun 21, 9:04am
Bad rust at the seams on the one I know, not every old either. Still goes alright just smokes a bit. The chinese have a while to go before they are producing good vehicles. I would say it's a spin of of non treated or poorly treated metal or an area that traps moisture from poor design. Either way it's going to cost him to fix.

lovemore_mbigi, Jun 21, 8:39pm
Chinese cars are made for lower middle class Chinese consumers who can't afford a Big Face status import.Any excess production is channeled to "they'll buy any crap if the price is low enough" markets.

Like New Zealand.

mapman, Jun 21, 10:01pm
Wow those lower middle class Chinese must be way rich buying one of those Hongqi V12??

doug207, Jun 22, 1:13am
I'm disappointed, why did no one pick up the 5 star C-NCAP crash test result, it's C-NCAP not NCAP, ergo is not comparable to the likes of the Renault and Peugeot small cars available here with high NCAP ratings.

C-NCAP has been questioned several times regarding it's relative ease of obtaining a higher and misleading result.

Bring back some properly tested NCAP tests of the GW vehicles, i am interested to see them. That four star ANCAP on the SUV is a fair effort though. I cannot find the four star rating on the database here, http://safety.rightcar.govt.nz/!gclid=CI34gZTpxakCFUyDpAodt09KjA

russ6, Jun 22, 1:43am
Yep, I would go along with you on all those comments.

haventrader, Jun 22, 7:26am
My point exactly - and sold to us through a big red WAREHOUSE, big Orange warehouse and a big green warehouse - amongst thousands of $2 shops that now line the streets of our most prestigious suburbs like Takapuna.

So, we buy the crap, but we all know that China can and does produce quality items. Is GW the breakthrough in the NZ market! Lets forget theft and every other claim which is made against them. Are they better quality than we would normally expect of a Chinese import!

pollymay, Jun 22, 7:34am
I don't see how my jeans or how much money a chinaman has is relevant. China autos are a big business and are run as a big business. It's not even comparable looking at some denim vs spot welded steel, it's a totally different enterprise.

The GW I've seen have been crap vs a rodeo or the likes which I don't even rate that highly with the new common rail issues arising. China is very capable but they need some years to mature and prove worth having.

haventrader, Jun 22, 8:16am
Seen, or driven or preferably owned! In my opinion, a Ford is crap, but I have never owned one. I'm therefore careful what I say because I might be proven wrong! The first conclusion one jumps to when you hear "Made in China", is that it will be rubbish. I thought the same thing when I saw the GW for the first time. I was impressed by the price, but all alarm bells rang. They've been in the NZ market for about 2 years now, but I don't see any broken down on the side of the road. I don't know anyone who owns one, but I have a feeling that might change.

pollymay, Jun 22, 8:42am
There is lots of crap out there at the moment, I'm more partial to the slightly older nissans, older isuzu rodeo things and the likes. The smoking is just an observation, those KIA vans and stuff do it a lot to. Plus at least the jap stuff uses bosch and denso parts for things like injectors as well as reputable wiring companies to make looms, the chinese you just do not know yet, the plastic could fall off the wires, plugs could pull out of areas and resale is still not going to be that great for a few years. Just not worth it YET imo.

They will make decent vehicles in time though.

mapman, Jun 22, 9:48am
Hard case right there, Bosch are made all over the world including China. Denso, made in China. Siemens, made in China. You have hit the nail on the head with wiring. This is one area that has let them down with some manufactures in the past. New models better be up to scratch but this is one area to watch. What I mean is there is a big difference in good quality wiring and the cheep stuff, but not a lot of difference in looks if the coating looks OK. Remember when I said in one my earlier posts that you have to watch out for Chinese management, this is one area they see potential to make more money and just end up letting themselves down

pollymay, Jun 22, 10:27am
The difference being denso and bosch are fairly well proven and managed. Even eagle rods are made in china then finished elsewhere crack tested, final machining etc etc That final quality control makes a big difference, it's very easy for them to slip in a knock off fuel pump and call it good then in 5 years this crap starts failing. They will have to learn not to do that, it's a huge shortfall, they do it on tractors to with very roughly made rod bolts and such then one day a rod flies out the side. Chinese turbos can be well machined but they don't clean the metal out properly and it fails prematurely. It doesn't really matter why it failed the point is until they learn it's hurting them long term it's a reason to stay away.

johnf_456, Jun 22, 11:33am
Right on mate, I personally do not trust there car market especially with the lack of quality control and desire to copy others.

lovemore_mbigi, Jun 22, 8:50pm
Too right.Chinese with money dismiss their local products with contempt as fit only for purchase by peasants and low-income urban hardscabblers.

Meanwhile back in NZ, when presented with the same class of tat Doris Dimbulb and Bruce Halfplank fink dave scoreda swweattas bargunn bro.

You have to laugh.

mapman, Jul 14, 6:01pm
The other is hardware, like bolts. They used to go several grades softer to save money and then didn??