Road workers not working

Page 1 / 5
r15, Jun 15, 6:36am
can anyone explain why this is so common and why as country we allow it to happen!

either there is a massive coincidence - i just happen to drive past at smoko time at whatever random time i see the road workers, or else its always smoko time.

yesterday i got to see 15-20 of them sitting on a residential fence along side a major project while 1 guy drove the roller back and forward.

it could be that at that time there wasnt something to do, but something you learn in the private sector that if you're working in front of the customer it is important to look busy!

the customer being the taxpayer in this instance, they werent making any effort to look busy along this main road

let the flame war begin!

johnf_456, Jun 15, 6:37am
You are not the only one that have noticed it, I notice it all the time also. They are either smoking, texting or reading the newspaper.

smac, Jun 15, 6:43am
The thing is though, they ARE in the private sector. Whoever they work for operates in a very competitive market for that contract.

bubbles52, Jun 15, 6:45am
yip i see it all the time, 1 guy on the digger and 10 guys standing around watching have a smoke

r15, Jun 15, 6:50am
if i could even afford to hire 1 guy to stand around and watch me work, i wouldnt consider that at all competitive.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Jun 15, 6:53am
i am in a similar job to this. but before i started i used to think they were all lazy. which they probably are lazy but if their job is like mine it can take a bit of work to set up and then once they are set up they only have 1 machine so the other guys can only just stand around and this is mainly when you see them.
i have seen them working hard a few times. it is rare lol but im sure they all play their part at some stage.

a few guys that have actually worked in the industry might be able to tell you more though, im just comparing it to my job where i can work hard out for 4 straight hours but then once your all set up theres nothing you can do so you just stand around waiting for more work

woody1946, Jun 15, 7:13am
We are on a main road and were kept awake all night with truck exhaust brakes because of a 30kph speed limit outside our place. On inspection the next morning I saw the reason for the speed limit, a patch of new seal about 5 metres long, fair enough, but the limit was in place not for the seal but the sign read ''Caution---- no road marking"Funny how those signs simply 'fall' over when no one is looking

lordv81, Jun 15, 8:18am
And if an some idiot had pushed the signs over they would be up for manslaughter charges if someone had died/crashed on that site."Funny" how those who moan about road conditions are often the first to complain when theres a small pot hole etc.

r15, Jun 15, 9:48pm
isnt that the same thing!

helpless, Jun 15, 9:57pm
Having worked for Fulton and Highway Stabilizers there are certain times people can sit around while waiting for the black stuff, the lime, the cement, the gravel, the fines, the water, the hoe. the traffic control,., It's frowned upon by management so you need to be moving about with a broom or shovel in your hands even if you're not really doing anything.You wanna do the job then you can put up with the nights the d tests and the rest of the bs associated with road works in the modern age. Once things get sorted you don't get any breaks as the Black stuff waits for no man,,take that into account before judging people on a one off view of a site.

smac, Jun 16, 12:51am
r15, johnf, and bubbles, what do you guys do for a living that qualifies you to comment on labour allocation on a roading job!

Had a mate who used to drive long haul. He quit to go on a road gang. A month later he was back in his rig, said he couldn't handle the hours, smell, filth and hard slog.

johnf_456, Jun 16, 1:04am
Firstly you can't use the function as its johnf_456 not johnf. Secondly its a observation i have made while driving on the roads of physically witnessing them do stuff all work. Its not just once or twice either. Yes some would work but dont know about the ones here smoking and chatting is the norm.

smac, Jun 16, 1:13am
Umm.try again.

johnf_456, Jun 16, 1:15am
Well the above example you did but before you did not, hence typing it wrong. So anyway back on topic.

superdave0_13, Jun 16, 1:16am
Of course he would struggle with the fitness side of things if he had come from a job that requires him to sit on his arse all day.

smac, Jun 16, 1:17am
What ARE you talking about! Seriously!

smac, Jun 16, 1:18am
johnf, it's not always about you. superdave is talking about the trucker I knew.

johnf_456, Jun 16, 1:19am
I made an observation from physically witnessing the slacking about

richardmayes, Jun 16, 1:30am
From what I've seen working in the construction industry (and while just generally driving around) those boys occasionally have to wait for a delivery of something, but most of the time they work pretty f'n hard.

I wonder what road workers think about:

*people still driving to work in the morning while they're already working!
*people already driving home from work in the afternoon while they're still working!
*people who get paid to drive around in a company car during the day!
*people who aren't even working, and are just driving around because they can!
*People who aren't exposed to sun, wind & rain while they work!

msigg, Jun 16, 1:36am
better to see then sitting on the fence than on the dole. good on them if they can get away with it. Not all peaches and cream.

crzyhrse, Jun 16, 1:38am
When I was at high school there were some pavement works occurring on the route I took home. One day as I cycled home I saw one of the 'workers' chipping concrete out of a wheelbarrow with a shovel so as I approached I said "Did it harden while you were at smoko!" and he tried to chase me LOL

saxman99, Jun 16, 1:45am
Agreed.I always give them a smile and a wave to let them know I appreciate them slogging their guts out so I can drive on a better road.

crzyhrse, Jun 16, 1:48am
I flick every third one the bird because that's about the ratio of roads they make worse with their efforts.

smac, Jun 16, 1:48am
Wow. OK I'll help you out here. I THINK what you're on about is you think I tried to quote you, but because I used an abbreviated version of your user name it didn't work. However, I didn't attempt to quote you.hence me not understanding what on earth you're on about. Maybe you're thinking of somebody else, in a different thread. Who knows!

johnf_456, Jun 16, 1:54am
Still confused this part to spell it out for you: r15, johnf, and bubbles, what do you guys do for a living that qualifies you to comment on labour allocation on a roading job!

Explain why I am not allowed to make an observation of what I physical see with my own eye as said earlier. Do people have to people qualified now do we to make a judgement when they see them out in work!