Caldina rattle

ontwowheels, Jun 16, 11:21pm
I have a 2l Caldina that has a rattle coming from the timing belt cover, or behind it. I recently had the engine out to do the clutch, and did the timing belt waterpump etc at the same time. This rattle was there before hand, and is still there ( thought it might have been the cover before I pulled it all apart). It is now getting worse. it is hard to describe, but it is between idle and 1800rev's. Seems to go away when warm. sometimes.
Has anybody got any ideas what it could be, Im going to have to wait untill I have time infew weeks to pull the covers off, take the crank pully (fwd) off to get the lower cover off and have a look.
Grrr

for_an_angel, Jun 17, 12:37am
Diesel or petrol!
Diesel 2C it could be the vacuum pump bush worn.
Petrol 3S-FE hows the rubber gasket round the cambelt cover !

intrade, Jun 17, 1:25am
did you not have this thread before! or was that another guy!
caldina rattles are from the airfilter housing all that i have seen so far made the noise due to that and busted engine mounts dont help either.

andy61, Jun 17, 5:35am
How tight did you do up the crankshaft pulley! If it slightly loose the pulley can rattle.

_peas, Jun 17, 8:04am
Could also be the heat shields on the exhaust manifold.

ontwowheels, Jun 17, 12:39pm
its a 3fse, not the exhaust (that was my first assumption before I started looking hard), noise is def coming from the timing belt area. Could be the cover, although i gave everything a good clean and look over and seemed ok when i put it back on. crankshaft pully is def tight. will check airfilter housing tomorrow, but that is a fair way away from where the noise is coming from. guess Ill be pulling cambelt covers off to have a good nosy when i get a chance. thanks, and if anyone else has any other suggestions im still open for them!

ambo11, Jun 17, 7:18pm
Be interested to find out what it is too, I have a 3s-Fe in a Caldina also which has a "knocky sound" in the top end area worse when hot.just had belts etc done 10,000km ago. Loud in the cabin but can barely hear it outside the car.weird.

ontwowheels, Jun 17, 8:25pm
sounds different to mine. I will post in here when i figure it out. might have some time on sunday. otherwise Ill be away for a week and a bit and have to rip it apart after that.

intrade, Jun 24, 8:17pm
then it is a different rattle then what the diesel make and airintake will be different also.