Failing to pay for a vehicle

cjohnw, Jun 14, 2:06am
OK, hypothetically.
1.The seller should not part with the car until all payments have been made.
2. If the buyer has taken the car and an outstanding balance remains beyond an agreed period the car should be repossessed.
3. It would not be unreasonable to add a nominal interest to any monies to be paid under a hire-purchase type arrangement.

In my opinion.

smac, Jun 14, 2:13am
In both cases if there is no written contract in place then the options are best discussed in the pub, after both parties have had 6.5 pints

pge, Jun 14, 2:24am
Would that be "smac-in-the-mouth" time !.

Kaz, you contracted to supply, they contracted to pay IN FULL.

You supplied, they haven't paid in full.

Kaz, repossession-time, and no refunds.

stevo2, Jun 14, 2:44am
Then follow the "default clause" of the contract. there was one eh!
Cheers Stevo

magoo2, Jun 14, 6:28am
If the car is not paid for in the specified time it would be reasonable to charge for storage

trouser, Jun 14, 7:18am
1. Place an add in classified section of a widely distributed local paper and advise that they have 10 working day to pay the balance or forfeit the deposit.

2. After the 10th payment they get the car. Arrange for a small storage fee. Holding a $1000 car for 9 weeks is going to cost.

neo_psy, Jun 14, 7:21am
Of course they haven't. They expect someone to hand over $1000 worth of car on their word.

Which is quaint, but not likely.

neo_psy, Jun 14, 7:38am
I don't know if she's *lying* as such - best intentions and all that.

And you know what they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

suplyuparts, Jun 14, 9:43am
just dont give the car up.if they havnt paid up in awhile an in full (with interest).keep the money an sell the car on to some one else.

cocabowla, Jun 14, 9:47am
its treated as a lay by then so you'd need to read up on the rules/laws on those now as to how you stand currently, i know they were totally biased towards the customer 5 or 6 yrs ago thats why i gave up doing them when i had a retail s/hand shop. ie , they could come back 18 months later and be entitled to a full refund of what they had paid.

richardmayes, Jun 14, 6:04pm
My dad did exactly this, years ago, when getting rid of his late father's Morris 1300. First time he'd sold a car for decades. He never did get his last $500.

He did get a couple of speeding tickets courtesy of the new owner though.

(I would have said no, FFS just go and get $1000 together from somewhere, if you can't do that car ownership probably isn't for you pal.)