Buying used cars from dealers.

Page 2 / 2
kdcentralni, Jun 10, 8:45am
Most dealers have changed their ways a bit. In the past they would groom, paint 3-4 panels, new tyres, wof, service, band expander etc. They would then put it on the yard for say $10,995. Then another dealer will just import the same car give it a wash and put it on for $9,000. Then people like you buy his one, lowest common denominator now, and when people purchase over the net they don't see these small differences.

mugenb20b, Jun 10, 8:56am
It was probably a $40k vehicle to begin with. They just made it look "cheap".

bettylee, Jun 10, 10:35am
LOL - I am now regularly reading motoring blogs. it's a good giggle before bed

jasongroves, Jun 10, 10:38am
Bull.I have WAY to many bananas.

tracemyster, Jun 10, 6:45pm
If I thought the car was worth $8000 and had listed it as $10000 in the hopes that somebody would offer around $8000 and feel good about getting 2000 off, even though that 2000 was just an over the top markup, then yeah I would probably still accept $7500.

oakie, Jun 10, 8:21pm
Dealers don't care whether you are paying in cash, silver or gold bullion so long as they get paid.
Don't go into a yard being a big hero with your dollars in your pocket you just may get burnt.most dealers are pretty smart guys.
I bet after getting your big discount you would be the kind of person who would go back to get a light bulb changed for nothing!

remember this. a dealer will only cop a big discount if HE wants to. you just might be making your big offer on an old stocker that has been sitting on their yard for two years or more.

always leave a bit for everyone, it's what makes the world go round. 75% pffft.

tgray, Jun 10, 9:02pm
As a dealer, I sell at fixed prices only - no offers.
I find it levels the playing field and people know exactly where they stand and there's no awkward negotiations. I sold 6 cars last weekend and no one asked for a discount. Working on $500-$1000 margins there isn't any wiggle room anyway.

irule, Jun 10, 9:41pm
Just bought a second car from a dealer (first car 3-4 years ago), asked as it was the second car I've bought from him if he could take a bit off the window price. He said yes. It does'nt hurt to ask. I still would have paid window as well because it was a good deal, deal done and everyone happy.

tracemyster, Jun 11, 5:06am
I dont EXPECT a big discount, as someone very green at buying from caryards I just wanted a rough idea on how the negotiations of a car yard go down.

I dont plan to be a hero walking in with cash, just thought that may be valuable information for those willing to answer my question.

Why are you pffting at 75%!As I said, I am not offering that, just plucking a random figure and throwing it at the user who said to negotiate the window price.

To those that did take the time, thanks.Seems window price is final and if you can shave a little off then hooray for everyone. And with this knowledge I can start looking.

phillip.weston, Jun 11, 5:40am
How can you say that above though and then also previously say don't ever pay window price when paying cash! You wouldn't welcome it, so why recommend it!

phillip.weston, Jun 11, 5:41am
If you had to work with a percentage figure, I would be using somewhere between 90 and 100%.

oakie, Jun 1, 11:44am
Rather than trying to crunch the dealer you might be better off getting him to throw in the next service or perhaps an extended warranty for nothing. if you are unsure take someone with you who has some experience.