Great Wall.

Page 2 / 2
phillip.weston, May 16, 11:06pm
The X240 is a full ladder chassis vehicle like the Mitsubishi Challenger, however the rest of the list is unibody/monocoque construction. Mitsubishi Outlander along with the Pugeot 4007 is a 5 star vehicle, at prices between $40-55k.

phillip.weston, May 16, 11:09pm
Yes, I feel the engine/gearbox is what will let the Great Wall down the most. It is a Mitsubishi 4G64 SOHC16V unit mated to a Toyota 4WD gearbox, both of which originate from the 1980s. I guess you could fix the power issue by transplanting a turbo evo-based engine of some kind, however it certainly wouldn't help the fuel economy situation.

vtecintegra, May 16, 11:17pm
Could all be solved with a decent diesel.Makes sense with that much weight.

mapman, May 16, 11:36pm
Like I said, just to compare as they are all basically the same shape and configuration, just with different specifications. If you look with both eyes open you will notice that these are relatively close, otherwise I might of used a Suzuki Jimny right up to a Toyota Landcruiser. Maybe then your exaggeration of a BMW 7-series & a Yaris might come into play.
I could of mentioned the Chery A3 that got a five star rating back in 2008, but didn??

vtecintegra, May 16, 11:54pm
The thing is the specifications aren't just a little different.

Some of those models you posted are literally twice as powerful, others are torquey diesels.

mapman, May 17, 12:56am
Any suggestions that you would like me to compare to, or is it you just don??

bae13, May 17, 10:04am
there is a difference there tho in that sony is a japanese cpmpany and the items are made to sony quality, bosch one of the biggest automotive parts companys gets lots of stuff made in china but to their own quality standards.

a great wall is a chinese company and make their products to there own standards which unfortunatley is lower than japanese stuff.
i know alot of stuff is made in china so you havent pointed anything new out to me you have just missed my point(or i didnt make it clear enough =))

thejazzpianoma, May 17, 10:42pm
If you factor in the fuel cost over just 5 years of running the difference in price is only $7500. Its hardly any difference for a vehicle that much much better.

sr2, May 17, 11:00pm
I do understand what you are trying to say, I've had experience with goods being manufactured in China on behalf of NZ companies and feel you are making quite a broad generalisation. There are still huge challenges in controlling the quality and specification of goods made to order for a foreign customer.

fordluva, May 18, 4:50am

cuda.340, May 18, 5:14am
i was looking at one of these trucks just last week. an employee of my mate bought one. he had a minor off road excursion & scratched the paint a bit on the front guard, he did nothing about it & that was 12 months ago, when we were looking at it last week we can see the scratch has rusted & now there's a hole where the scratch was. not much in the way of rust prevention on these things. personally i think they're ugly as.

bubbles52, May 18, 5:28am
nothing wrong with chinese made stuff, the new toyota hilux is made in thailand, suzuki swift is made in india, not many vechiles these days are built in there home country, i had a lifan motorcycle made in china and toured the north island with it with no problems.

mapman, May 18, 6:35am
Within one year the Chinese go from epic failure to epic success and five stars with the Chery A3 in 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=0IYp3NCRZYw
fordluva, 2008 was the first year a Falcon or any Aussie car managed a five star rating. How many years have Aussies been building cars! Chery only been going 14 years. It kind of puts it in perspective. Not bad aye!
Howz that for a comparison.

zephyrheaven, May 18, 7:27am
Great for fleet stuff - gutless as all hell so the staff cant thrash them even if they wanted to!

thejazzpianoma, May 18, 8:13am
Pretty crap when you consider the Skoda should be Galvanized. Not sure about here but Skoda generally do 10 year corrosion warranty's overseas.

bae13, May 18, 9:12am
well not really because they are told this is how it is done. the exceptions are places for instance that are companies ie electronic companies that make tvs, one manufacturer can come in buy them and brand them as there own, the other instance is the company actually employs chinese people in there own factory to make the tvs to there own specs.
also i havent written off great wall, in actual fact i looked at one but decided on a new triton (because of the warranty) the thing that put me off the great wall is the stance they have and also they only come petrol at the moment.
as i said give them 4-5 years and they may have caught up to the japs and koreans. we saw this sort of stuff when hyundais were new to market, now look at them they are a pretty reliable car now

foxdonut, May 18, 9:28am
Anyone who buys a Chinese motorcar hates cars, and life in general.

But don't worry everyone, great chairman mapman has something to do with them being imported into the country and will tell you all about how great they are.

Personally I'd rather walk over broken glass barefoot that trundle along in something called a Geely.

johnf_456, May 18, 9:30am
I agree, mapman has some ties

thejazzpianoma, May 18, 9:36am
+1 on that one too.

lovemore_mbigi, May 18, 8:39pm
Chinese automotive products are made for the "low face" budget end of the Chinese domestic market.

"High face" Chinese consumers spend their money on Hondas through Mercedes.

I thought everybody knew that.

mapman, May 18, 9:18pm
Nihao and a very warm welcome to the three wise men foxdonut, johnf_456 & thejazzpianoma. Almost right but no ties to the Chinese cars imported here. I am looking at a project of a European design car made in China, but not sure if it will hit NZ roads. Plus I import a Powersports vehicle that uses a Chery engine but moreover have a tie with a top American engineer that lives & works in China. Most of the stuff I have learnt simply could not be past on because it would be to unbelievable for most to except. I have touched on some subjects in the past like just how far some big Japanese, European and American Automobile brands go to cover up just what is made in China.It cracks me up when a certain car is mentioned here because I know it??

mapman, Mar 10, 12:41am
Chinese greed is in the veins of every Chinese businessmen and if they can??