Advice re RVR head problem plse

chrisd55, May 19, 12:48am
oil leak progressively worse-turns out faulty radiator cap,head corner leak.teenage son doesn't know enuf to fix but got a good price for parts, or new engine-also got cost of $800 to straighten/skim head by after hours mechanic.Not sure if new engine could end up more costly if not done properly, or who could do.Cam belt should also be replaced I guess-SO tired of being ripped off -any advice as to what to do, how long it should take and possible cost appreciated

phillip.weston, May 19, 12:56am
I bet it's a 1.8L 4G93 engine. It will be coming from the head gasket, there is a high pressure oil gallery close to the edge of the block/head which the original OEM gasket will eventually leak. Fitting a replacement head gasket will sort it out. The leak should be coming from where the head meets the block above the gearbox/transmission bellhousing, under the distributor and oil pressure sender.

If the existing engine is in good order I would just go ahead and replace the head gasket, if it wasn't overheated (am guessing it possibly was due to faulty radiator cap) I would probably not bother getting the head skimmed. A cambelt + water pump + tensioners + seals for that engine will total less than $200. The head gasket by itself would be around $50. Last one I did on a Lancer I just lifted the head off whole with the manifolds still attached, cleaned up the surfaces and refitted.

jason18, May 19, 1:04am
Come do my valiant head gasket phil.

phillip.weston, May 19, 3:05am
Has it blown! or are you just meaning the small oil leak from it!

chrisd55, May 19, 3:14am
Thank you Phil, it wasn't overheated as far as I know, in that the radiator isn't leaking, and never had any warnings etc but apparently no vacuum / pressure created, if that makes sense-yes it's a 1.8-you have no idea how many times I've had issues with it-so wishing now I had stuck with my Ltd edition NZ New Mazda 626 longer and then traded it for something else:) So I tell the mechanic not to get the head skimmed then- just replace it.How long should that take him to do!

phillip.weston, May 19, 4:07am
a mechanic would probably still want to get the head skimmed, as there is a chance the head gasket could leak again (and in different areas) without doing so, but in my experience as a 'back yarder' of all the 4G93 motors I've come across with oil leaking from the head gaskets, a replacement head gasket on its own is all it needed.

For a mechanic to do the job it would probably be 5-6 hours.

What other issues have you had with the RVR, I gather transmission issues!

jason18, Mar 8, 2:49pm
haha yeah just the oil leak mate.