Warped brake rotors and car yards.

Page 2 / 3
guider1, May 14, 5:34am
If it is showing signs of excessive wear then the inspector needs to stop being lazy & measure it. The workshop I worked in regularly serviced a fleet of over 200 rental cars plus a non stop flow of fresh imports & they were always measured if they looked worn. I guess it depends how stringent the person doing the inspection is & if they can be bothered doing the entire job correctly instead of taking the money & running.

guider1, May 14, 5:44am
Yep. never had discs skimmed, just biff them when buggered. But then again I dont pay much for most mechanical items so it doesnt worry me. Had a brandnew set of those DBA slotted/x-drilled rubbish discs crack to bits in 2400km. got no joy from BNT, they just accused me of using the car on a racetrack (morons) so sent one to what was then LTSA outlining the fact that they were fitted to a stock standard road car for a pathetic amount of mileage & this was how they had stood up to daily driving. I mounted the other one on the wall of our shop to show customers what junk they were.

jezz43, May 14, 7:09am
ok, back from work, now i can properly reply. firstly, the shudder was picked up on in the test drive, it was mentioned to the guy at the car yard then. he told me it was wheel balance and it would be rectified while it was out getting his WoF. secondly, he gets dodgy WoFs, my trade in vehicle had 2 bald tyres (and i mean bald, like with steel showing) and 1 headlight didnt shine on high beam. he had that car warranted the next day without repairing anything. thirdly, ive had the discs measured and they are at minimum thickness already, hence why i want new discs. at the time of purchase of the vehicle he refused to give us a copy of the warrant sheet as he said his photocopier was broken and he needed the original which was at his house, conveniently, but it passed without comments so he said.

vag.central, May 14, 7:36am
All this over a set of front pads and rotors,ffs brakes wear out, its not like they are ultra expensive

johnf_456, May 14, 7:37am
That is not the point.

guider1, May 14, 12:54pm
Replace them yourself then throw the old ones through his windows.

im_andrew, May 14, 1:08pm
So, how do you know the car wasnt repaired! Most AVIs I know will go harder on a car they know is up for sale, not easier - because they know its probably going to be inspected by someone else before purchase. The idea that dealers have dodgy WOF guys who just put their name to any old POS is ridiculous.

snoopy221, May 14, 1:57pm
Gunna jump in here-so- shoot me down if ya all want-K.
Poster number one NAME THE DEALER.
Then get afull writtenreport on the discs done by a reputable local brake placeI.E.
Taranaki Brake & Clutch Rebuilders
16 Eliot Street
New Plymouth 4310
(06) 758 5401
Would be a GOOD example.-Actually if you take this advice-i think you will find that most reputable dealers know the owner of the brake business well.
And there names willnot be posted here-however the selling dealer-in your case-may sudennly wish to repair. After all 2 discs on a commie are common as-it's not worth the loss of getting it right reputation.IMHO.

snoopy221, May 14, 2:07pm
This is a really tough situation.and heres why.
A warped rotor doesn't just "HAPPEN" .Now if the rotor was warped from the point it was test driven then I 100% agree that its down to the dealership to pay --ie it was a pre existing condition.
As Kazbanz put it.
You will NOT undersize and warp a brake disc in 5000km's
So a reputable brake repairers independant report will clearly show the disc thickness.

stevo2, May 14, 5:29pm
Listen to Kaz He is right.as usual.
Cheers Stevo

icemans1, May 14, 5:51pm
i totally agree with kaz as well.

johnf_456, May 14, 10:13pm
^^Kaz good on ya

elect70, May 15, 12:23am
I have been toldthat before (from 2 differentmechs )& i had priced up pair of those DBA discsbut got my own skimmed for $50

crzyhrse, May 15, 12:42am
Come back with the legislation that requires a consumer to accept whatever's offered as a solution and you'll stop looking foolish.

vtecintegra, May 15, 12:55am
Warped is misnomer anyway.

Have a read here: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml (also explains why re-machining discs isn't always going to solve the problem)

mike77, May 15, 1:07am
Sorry all couldn't be arsed reading all of that,

But it sounds like a bit of personal responsibility, They were warped when you brought it .

. so why did you buy it ! These faults (Pads / warped rotors would of been picked up on your inspection.

sounds like the horse has bolted. It should of

crzyhrse, May 15, 1:19am
You made the claim so it's up to you to prove the requirement exists, which it doesn't.

crzyhrse, May 15, 1:24am
Just to clarify:

The customer can refuse to accept this solution if he feels it won't meet the objective. It's entirely up to him.

snoopy221, May 15, 4:50am
Qoute from post number thirty seven
ive had the discs measured and they are at minimum thickness already
Am i the ONLY one who read it!

johnf_456, May 15, 7:07am
Give it a rest crzyhrse! Kaz is a descent and very knowledgeable car dealer.
I would happily get another car off him, hes a good honest bloke who goes the extra mile!

icemans1, May 15, 7:10am
+1
and i wouldn't hesitate to buy another from him

crzyhrse, May 15, 8:30am
Who made a claim he can't back up with any proof. That doesn't seem very knowledgeable to me.

crzyhrse, May 15, 8:31am
Ahhhh well spotted. I couldn't be bothered with the disjointed story.

I guess that rules out any surfacing.

franc123, May 15, 9:44am
Mate I'm surprised this thread is even still going and you are even getting any sympathy from anyone after that post, especially not from the dealer.Have you read it back to yourself!I'll tell it how it sounds, you bought a car which had at the time a minor brake judder problem, the car passed a new WOF as clearly the brake rotors were not visually worn enough to warrant a measurement and have since been proven to be at minimum thickeness, which in itself is not illegal.If it had not been road tested during the WOF check such as that done by a testing station (I don't agree with this but it happens), it may not have been detected.On the other hand you knowingly traded in a vehicle with two unwarrantable tyres and a headlight not working, which would have needed to be repaired, and may have even failed on other things too for all you know, and again for all you know the dealer could have had that sorted in a day, at obviously his expense.Now you want him to cough for a consumable part of your car which has worn and causing a concern, as opposed to a legality issue with respect to roadworthiness.And you wonder why he has dicked you about!Look at it from his perspective, its surprising he is even still talking to you.

jezz43, May 15, 10:48pm
the rotor issue was mentioned from the day i test drove it, which he claimed was another issue. which it has turned out to be something else. as for my trade in vehicle, it was on the lot the next day with the same tyres still on it. i have no idea if he fixed the headlight but the tyres were certainly not fixed. this is not the first issue hes had to fix on the vehicle, it had a broken window switch when we got it, it took him 3 weeks to muck me around and eventually order the switch off this website. ive had to borrow a vehicle to get to work recently as my car is no longer safe enough to drive as im getting mucked around for weeks on end. and now he claims his wife never told him of the issue even tho it was mentioned at the begining.