Holden vx calais alternator

krisbop, May 15, 10:44pm
Hi my alternator thing just completely died yesterday.
Its a 01 vx calais v8
anyone have any idea how much these cost to repair or replace! and where the best place is to go that wont cost the earth.thanks very much

johnf_456, May 15, 10:46pm
I assume you have tested it to know for sure!

krisbop, May 15, 10:54pm
no actually, but put a brand new battery in yesterday and it went fine, until the battery went flat so assume the alternator is all it could be right! its not charging the battery

johnf_456, May 15, 10:58pm
You need a multi meter my friend, perhaps get one at the warehouse, dse, repco they all should have one. Then test the voltage with the engine at idle, rev it abit see what happens etc. If engine is running at its still putting out 12 ish volts then your alternator is not working.

krisbop, May 15, 11:01pm
the engine wont run at all the battery is completely dead. engine will only run off another car through jumper leads, soon as you take leads off, dead. its not battery at all its brand new. really only could be alternator i would think

johnf_456, May 15, 11:05pm
You probably need to get a sparkie to take a look if you are unsure how test basic electrics.

richard198, May 15, 11:12pm
If you really want to know if an alternator is charging; you need to put an ammeter in series.

krisbop, May 15, 11:17pm
yes i know it needs to be checked to be sure, i am just assuming it is alternator and wanted to know costs so i know what i am in for, i am not mechanically minded at all

dent, May 15, 11:43pm
If it is the alternator. it depends weather its repairable or not. Last time We replaced one with a brand new item I think it was around 400 dollars for the alternator. They oftern become fault because the power steering pump is leaking oil on to it from above. If so that needs rekitiing as well. Just check there is a fuse wire from the battery that if damaged or burn out that will stop the alternator from charging as well.

pup2, May 15, 11:46pm
whip it off and take it into a sparky to get it tested. Saves them taking it off and charging you for the time. They will bench test it, and will be able to give you a good idea of cost.

krisbop, May 15, 11:59pm
yes it has a power staring pump leak, that's getting repaired tomorrow so yes im guessing that has caused the alternator to crap itself. bugga! thanks for that in site it totally makes sense.

krisbop, May 16, 12:00am
im not mechanically minded i dont even own a screw driver so no way can i whip anything off i wouldn't know where to start

johnf_456, May 16, 12:02am
Just let the pro's deal with it, if you need it fixed you need it fixed.

krisbop, May 16, 12:06am
yep defiantly i just wanted some idea of cost ect but im 100% sure its alternator and the power staring pump is leaking. probably be up for a couple of grand arhhhthanks everyone for your feed back got it sussed

crzyhrse, May 16, 12:22am
Using a shunt is much easier.

guider1, May 16, 12:31am
9 times out of 10 it's just the regulator on the back. The black plastic part. remove the 2 screws holding it to the alternator & replace it.

johnf_456, May 16, 12:55am
It could be, but the OP lacks mechanical skills to do this has they have said.

jason18, May 16, 1:10am
Check the main battery fuse!

krisbop, May 16, 1:12am
i will get mechanic to do that and check the regulator, makes me nervous when i know nothing about mechanical stuff i just have to take there word for it, i find it very handy on here to ask the questions and understand it and then i can go the mechanic and sound semi like i know what i am talking about. thanks guys very helpful

elect70, May 16, 1:19am
At that age most likely brushes haveworn out , assuming they are replaceableonly 1hrs labour or so to fix & brushescheap . But many of todays" quality cars" they are throw away items which cost $400 + to replace .Go toanAuto Electriciannot a mechanic .

krisbop, May 16, 1:28am
theirs quite a few things being done, and couplings what ever they are and power staring pump kit and power staring hose so the leak obviously caused alternator to fry. just one of those things i guess. car towed to workshop its not driveable. will last as long as a fully charged battery will run for then its dead.

guest, Jul 27, 10:07pm
our alternater died lst week....it started with the all electricals gojng spaz on the dashboard n the battery light stayed on
we broght a brand new battery but light was still showing!--brought a 2nd hand alternater..but the car died within a week + alternater was making a slight humming noice!
replaced with a brand new alternater n it hasnt missed a beat!!