How do you increase the amp output of a alternator

jjc09, Apr 25, 1:14am
How do you increase the amp output of a alternator i have a 50 amp alternater that i want to increase to a 110ish amp how do i got about this.

jezz43, Apr 25, 1:14am
drive twice as fast

dave653, Apr 25, 1:17am
I think it has to be rewound. Try looking for one off a flasher model, everything electrical and automatic etc, they tend to have larger outputs to cope with the extra demand for electrickery.

morrisman1, Apr 25, 1:17am
get a bigger alternator

bigfatmat1, Apr 25, 1:20am
rewind the stator, rewind the rotor, make it bigger, fit bigger diodes more iron, modify the regulator to deliver more current and you should be good to go. Alternately buy a 110amp alternator at a fraction of the cost

jjc09, Apr 25, 1:41am
ok do you know where i can get a bigger alternator for a Nissan C33 that i have put a LD28 into

bigfatmat1, Apr 25, 5:53am
get a 110amp alt off a maxima and modify to suit

jjc09, Apr 25, 11:31am
Do you know which model eg J30, J31, J32, A32, A33

skin1235, Apr 25, 11:34am
the c33 had abig enough one already, the ld28 had the same size, and had the vac on the back for the brakes, if you need 110 amps I bet it is for the amp under the seat, think seriously about putting a second alt and battery in it, run the amp from it's own battery and charge it from it's own alt

jjc09, Apr 25, 11:43am
Ok where and how do i mount up a second alty i alreay used the space under it for the ac pump

solarboy, Apr 25, 12:01pm
Start a new trend .Stick it on top after cutting a hole in the bonnet andchrome it , or cover it with a BIG bonnet scoop .

owene, Apr 25, 12:04pm
Why not throw away all the junk that you've added to the vehicle that is sucking all these extra amps! Problem solved.

jjc09, Apr 25, 12:09pm
Because its my nice slow cruiser that i can just relax in and drive and i like nosie when i drive a cant stand silence drives me insane

morrisman1, Apr 25, 12:16pm
haha, you will have silence by the time you are 40 if you have the 'sounds' cranked up loud now

jjc09, Apr 25, 1:04pm
Lol nah just means when im 40 ill have to get a bigger sound system

skin1235, Apr 25, 8:30pm
still got the air con in it!, can mount another alt in that region, 2nd battery in boot, run medium sized wire from the new alt to the boot, and a ships hawser to amp under the seat, 2nd alt can be any alt with inbuilt reg, doesn't need the vac pump on rear

bigfatmat1, Apr 25, 8:40pm
you can get a 80 amp version of what you have on there to replace your original one. might need some wiring and vacuum fittings changed though

neell, Apr 25, 10:13pm
Strange that, I'm the opposit as i can't stand loud music - drives me nutty. It's like someone shining a bright light in my eyes, gives me an instant headache.

xacoon, Apr 25, 10:19pm
the worlds youngest nana strikes again!

johnf_456, Apr 25, 10:23pm
Doubt it, didn't know your a nana.

anna215, Apr 27, 5:55am
Hi jjc09. can you start a auction for the steering rack I'm after. Thanks

a18a, Apr 27, 6:54am
and get a huge teethed pulley and belt for it. oh wait

sgrants, Apr 27, 9:15am
can double the output by changing stator winding"Star" to "delta" and changing to Bosch re55 reg of similar. I did it to a 50 amp Hitachi alternator on my old Datsun so it could cope with the over the top spot lights I had on it, charge rate drops at idle though!

ml6989, Apr 27, 9:57am
Set a second altenator up with a belt drive system off the driveshaft. There will be plenty of room under the car. It will need to be water cooled and probably need a very large flux capacitor to synchronise it with the windscreen wipers. You may get enough output to drive a mig welder which will be very handy. Good luck!