Opinions? ex Police Commodore

kcf, Apr 19, 8:27pm
I had a thought, mostly just for the giggles value of it.

I run a sealed autocross series in Wellington (set out course in cones, you vs stopwatch), and while my race car is off the road undergoing surgery, I had evil thoughts about an amusing car to hack around in, in the meantime.

A friend reckons he purchased an ex Police dogvan (actually, stationwagon) for $4k, 130k on the clock, not that many years old.I've spent a day of Targa in the police road clearance car, and it handled pretty nicely.So, I thought wouldn't it be a laugh to use one as a sealed autocross car.

So, am I totally out of my mind for these thoughts!

Oh, and also, how do these Commodores stand up to basically a first and second gear thrashing (*not* burnouts!), do they have a LSD!

If you're wondering what these sealed autocross events look like, hop on youtube and search "Slipway Autocross", and you'll see various people's vids.

ct9a, Apr 19, 8:52pm
i dnt think the 3.8 had lsd's in them
id be cutting the springs right down to stop all the body roll those whales get specially on a tight circuit like that ,looks bloody fun!

kcf, Apr 19, 9:18pm
I'd probably leave the springs as is, the reason being that *if* I did get one of the Commodes, I'd also use it to a-frame the race car to out of town events.

So I wouldn't be trying to win at the autocross, I'd be doing it mostly just for the giggle value of it.

Hrrmmmm, might have to research if they have or can be fitted cheaply with LSD.One wheeler peeler at a sealed autocross makes for nothing but boredom, and slow launches out of corners.

321mat, Apr 19, 10:46pm
Um, here's a few:

* Thrashed to death (always from a cold start) by morons who cannot drive.
* May have been used to kill motorcyclists (in 3 point turns)
* May have been used to molest underage girls on the bonnet (in Rotorua)
* Will definitely have had a VERY hard life mechanically.

Do NOT buy.
Unless you're only buying for scrap.

gunhand, Apr 19, 10:53pm
A very informed answer.

crzyhrse, Apr 19, 11:28pm
Thrashed to death! No, usually spotted putting around. From cold! They don't generally sit long enough to get cold. Hard life mechanically! They're leased. So they're serviced and as above spend most of their time putting around. They get the occasional punt - there's nothing wrong with that.

They're not cared for particularly well cosmetically. But the prices they fetch reflect that.

gunhand, Apr 19, 11:32pm
Id agree with that. Get an ex southland one they dont get much of a hard life at all, except vomit in the back seats maybe,

kcf, Apr 19, 11:37pm
where do they sell the ex Police cars!I am assuming Turners!

I'd be curious to see what they actually sell for.

crzyhrse, Apr 19, 11:38pm
I'd say that a ex-cop car from a rural area would have had one of the easiest lives around! Something from Auckland Central. not so much.

And a bit of vomit never killed anyone (unless they choked on it!)

pollymay, Apr 19, 11:58pm
Make sure they haven't crashed into any powerpoles at some point damaging the car's structure.

petermcg, Apr 20, 5:59am
The police cars do have a LSD they are good buys as the are always running warm, when the cops change shift, the cars dont , some one else hops in and keeps it going.

leelee74, Apr 20, 6:57am
awesome cars for the money we had one for 2 yrs ex pursuit VX never let us down they go well stop well and a lot cheaper than private or car yards turners auctions sell them nation wide

kcf, Apr 20, 8:25pm
I might sniff around Turners and see what sort of prices they go for.

My friend picked up his 2006 for just over $4k, which doesn't even get you an 1800cc MX5 these days.

I do understand that there is a good chance these cars have been thrashed, and thrashed often.But the real question is "how well do they stand up to being thrashed!", because as stated this car would see autocross use which typically means a lot of revs in first gear, for about a minute and a half at a time.

I've never owned a Commodore, so I don't know how fussy they are about popping diffs and suchlike.

321mat, Apr 20, 11:44pm
Elvis did.

vernunft, Apr 20, 11:51pm
I've owned several mid/late 90's holden wagons and seem to kill the auto boxes pretty fast.lol. Lucky they are only $300 for a second hand one

So my opinion is no they won't handle lots of fast takeoffs, 1st/second gear work.Motor will ,box wont.

kcf, Apr 21, 1:24am
Are the 2000 and newer Commodores still running that same auto trans!

petermcg, Apr 21, 6:26am
No that was Jimi Hendrix,

serf407, Apr 21, 10:05am
The autobox can be rebuilt with better than standard materials at a cost.

kcf, Apr 21, 8:21pm
Which years is that gearbox fitted to!Sorry, I'm a know nothing about these Commodores.