1991 Nissan Terrano temp

koriemouse, Apr 15, 12:03am
I have a 1991 Nissan Terrano 2.7 diesel auto. When driving temp sits at about 1/4, but under load, hills or towing, temp rises to 3/4 or even a little higher. I am giving it a service this weekend so will flush cooling system and replace antifreeze. Should I look at replacing therastat as well! could this be the problem or is it more likely a cooling system blockage! cheers

tmenz, Apr 15, 12:21am
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck partially open.

mugenb20b, Apr 15, 12:52am
I would say your radiator needs to be taken out and rodded out. Do check your thermostat first though.

pdc1, Apr 15, 3:51am
I had one of those almost new many years ago. It used to do the same thing from day one. Used to go to 3/4 and then the fan would kick in and this used to stabilise it at that temperature. I didn't like it doing it, but after 300k kilometers it never gave any trouble. Wouldn't hurt to get the radiator rodded, replace thermostat and Check the fans operation. Good insurance. The motors in those go forever if you don't overheat them. Might also pay to check that it isn't running too rich. If it is black smoking, get the pump mixture leaned a touch. This will help with the temperature.
Also make sure that the fins on the radiator are clean and clear.
The later ones with intercoolers don't move the temperature guage. I would be inclined to consider fitting a intercooler on it, and winding up the boost a bit.

chris241, Apr 15, 5:17pm
yep thats normal for thoes ive had 2 and 1 navara and theve all done it

koriemouse, Nov 4, 11:08pm
update. took thermastat out to replace and it was seized half open. Have put new thermastat in and warmed engine now temp sitting at about 1/3. will take for drive tomorrow and see what happens on hills under load. cheers guys/girls