Fielder vs Pulsar vs Wingroad

stevo2, Feb 26, 7:21pm
My daughter's looking for a wagon and is keen on all of the above. She has driven the 1500cc Wingroad and the 1800cc Pulsar Euro LS. She has not yet driven the Toyota Fielder.
They are available in 1500cc VVTi, 1800cc VVTi and in the Fielder Z they have the 1800cc VVTLi (180hp version). The "Z" is tiptronic and available at the same price as the standard 1800cc. The first 2 are camchain, does anyone know if the high performance is the same motor and if not are they also chain driven!
She mainly uses it for commuting and the odd trip away.
Fuel consumtion is not her main concern as she covers under 10,000km p/a
What would your preference be in her circumstanses!
Cheers Stevo

phillip.weston, Feb 26, 8:07pm
The Fielder is chain driven also. The 1ZZ-FE VVTi 1800cc engine has a plastic intake manifold which is known to crack. The 2ZZ-GE VVTiL 1800cc is known to destruct its oil pump at high rpms - but both are quite rare instances and are otherwise reliable. I don't particularly like the Corolla shape and interior of that area, not a very exciting car to be in generally. The Wingroad is alright but if it's the shape I'm thinking of (ie the late 90s to early 2000s shape, before the current shape), it's basically a tarted up example of the 90s platform, and doesn't give as great a ride as the new shape Wingroad or the Corolla does. Road noise is quite high on the Wingroad also. The Pulsar LS isn't quite a wagon, but still a roomy enough car inside - I would probably pick that one out of the bunch if she didn't need a full sized wagon, she could probably save a little money by going with the Pulsar also.

phillip.weston, Feb 26, 9:53pm
out of all those options - I would perhaps ask which one has ABS with electronic brake force distribution, more than just two airbags (ie side torse bags in the seats, curtain airbags, knee airbags), stability control program, traction control etc. I would be looking for all of these things if this car is for your daughter. I don't think any of those above options for around $10k don't have more than ABS with dual front air bags, makes you wonder what are you getting for your $10k.

phillip.weston, Feb 26, 10:01pm
I would consider a Ford Mondeo wagon as well, $10k can get something around 2005 with around 100,000kms, and trumps the Corolla, Pulsar and Wingroad in terms of safety features, ride comfort and even looks.

If you could stretch a little further I would go for a Mazda 6 Hatch, perhaps an early 2002/2003 model ex-lease with 130+km on the clock.

carkitter, Feb 26, 10:47pm
If my choices were restricted to Fielder, Pulsar and Wingroad, I'd resort to either walking or cycling. I'd certainly go looking for a Civic or a Mondeo instead.

stevo2, Feb 26, 11:22pm
Thanks Phillip
The Mondeo is a bit large for her as its mainly around town and she is unable to stretch the budget. She just needs a good reliable low maintenance wagon to cart her and her baby around town.
She is no car enthusiast as she prefers something that looks cool rather than performs well.lol. 22 years olds for ya eh!
If she cant find something in the Bay or waikato in the next few weeks, it looks like a trip up tp Aucks may be on the cards :(
Cheers Stevo
Cheers Stevo

phillip.weston, Feb 26, 11:32pm
I think when looking for a car for her and a baby, I would say safety features should be the deciding factor, and for $10k you should be able to tick most the boxes. just the Corolla Fielder, older shape Wingroad and Pulsar barely ticks many.

vtecintegra, Feb 27, 12:31am
The Fielder Z is really good but not when paired with the auto gearbox - the lack of ratios really hurts it

phillip.weston, Feb 27, 2:55am
That Focus looks to be a Singapore import example. For some reason I'm not a big fan of that model Focus, the interior reminds me too much of the AU Falcon or the 90s Ford Taurus. yuck.

stevo2, Feb 27, 3:22am
thanks Kaz, Just her, her baby and her partner will use the car. I tried showing her a Demio but Mrs Stevo used to have one and she wont go near the "Nana Car".
I think she prefers the modern look of the Wingroad although the ones in Tga seem way overpriced compared to the ones in Auckland.

fordcrzy, Feb 27, 3:48am
waiting waiting waiting.

where is he! .where is he!

meow_mix, Feb 27, 4:06am
He doesn't remember me.

phillip.weston, Feb 27, 4:45am
I've driven an RS500 before, I thought it was pretty cool.

meow_mix, Feb 27, 5:19am
It must accelerate like a 360 Modena, but all that power through the front wheels!I'm sure Ford did their homework and made it a fine handling FWD sportscar.

russ6, Feb 27, 5:29am
The Volvo motor brings it to life. they are great engine when turboed.

phillip.weston, Mar 3, 8:21pm
I hope they don't want anywhere near $9300 for their reserve. if they do then it's terrible buying at that price, especially given it has dents and scrapes on it! What's up with the japanese plates still being attached - were the photos taken in Japan, has it even been registered here yet! Unless you could get it for $6000 (assuming it would need $500-1000 to tidy up) I would give it a miss.

phillip.weston, Mar 4, 1:45am
there's an '04 NZ-new Pulsar wagon (same as the Wingroad) done 169k at Moyes Panmure for $6999.

stevo2, Mar 4, 5:15am
Thanks Phillip.
I saw it in the weekend and it is very untidy. I wouldnt go much higher on that one but thats the look she wants.
Cheers Stevo

cocabowla, Mar 4, 7:42am
theres an 02 wingroad in auto trader magazine ( free at shell shops) 61k fresh import for $6990

h0und0g, Apr 12, 4:08am
hey, the corolla fielders are a great wagon - 1800c goes real good and SUPER cheap to run. no cvt transmission to worry about playing up and overall toyota realiability. they are nice and roomy inside compared to the wingroad. can seat 4 adults no problem with ample rear leg room, big boot etc all in what appears to be a smallish wagon on the outside. you will find the wingroad quite small inside especially when using a baby seat! 1800cc wingroads are usually full time 4wd i think you'll find! they go ok but unless you really need the 4wd no real point. 1500cc wingroads are gutless. the 2litre version with 6speed auto/tiptronic are super nice to drive - very powerfull but again have the cvt transmission which may give problems down the track. i have found the wingroads hard to get parts for also + expensive.
personally id recommend the fielder & if you look hard enough you will find some with body kits which make them look a lot better than standard. the wingroads come out with different body kits factory fitted also and id go the 2litre hands down. both 2litre wingroads & 1800cc fielders are good on gas. i speak from personal experience.

stevo2, Oct 22, 7:04am
Thanks, she picked up an 01 Wingroad aero 1500cc and absolutely loves it.
The baby seat is in although she hasnt had the baby yet.
Im happy cause its not too powerful and seems economical.

Cheers Stevo