Should cyclists be allowed in 100kph areas?

Page 3 / 3
fwank, Feb 6, 12:26am
I am a cyclist and a driver - I prefer to cycle than drive for fitness, the environment, and general enjoyment at peak traffic times.I have had a few near misses, and as a cyclist I often wonder how many drivers have actually cycled amd therefore know the dangers we face!Almost every day I experience drivers with no regard for cyclists - cutting me off, parking in a cycle lane, pulling out in front of me, driving in the cycle lane. It would be great if drivers could get out there and experience what it's like as a cyclist for a month or so to understand us - I prefer to ride in the outer part of the cycle lane so drivers are aware that I'm there. Although I'm closer to the cars I am also more visible and many drivers will take note of me just because of where I am positioned on the road therefore making it safer for me. Cyclists need a place to practice pack riding and should be able to do so in the country on a reasonably quiet road. 2-3 abreast on a busy and narrow road is not good for drivers or cyclists.

carkitter, Feb 6, 1:54am
I would like to add that the hard shoulder and cycles lanes are often the part of the road that is heavily cambered, poorly sealed, full of gravel, rocks and other debris which is dangerous to ride in.

I find that on flat or downhill stretches where I can travel at the same 40-60km/h that the traffic travels at, I am safer to pull into the middle of the lane and flow with the traffic, then get back on the shoulder when the speed differential increases.

bashfulbro, Feb 7, 9:15am
Really, it doesn`t matter where you meet a cyclist, the law requires that you be able to stop ,in half the visible distance ahead of you. Farm animals, dogs, and even little kids can run onto a road as you come round a blind corner.and you should be able to stop, driving to the conditions, also means, if you are on roads,likethe Coromandel roads, used as an example, with many blind bends, then adjust your speed accordingly, 100kph is the max. limit, it doesn`t mean you should be doing it wherever and whenever.

gunhand, Feb 7, 9:22am
So with saying that, you slow down to 30kph everytime you can not see far enough ahead to stop with in half the distance available to you. Now that would be a hazzard. But then you have the defence of drivers not being able to stop and hitting your rear making them atomaticly at fault.Something like that is the law (like the headlight one) but its not a practable one in the real world really. Its probably been on the book since horse and cart.

markthesparky, Feb 7, 9:55am
what ever happend to the cycle lane project that labour wanted to build back in 2007!

markthesparky, Feb 7, 9:55am
what ever happend to the cycle lane project that labour wanted to build back in 2007! the worsed 1's are those road bikes. they move about 5-6 km/h faster than a M.T.B but can't go onto a footpath or sholder if traffic comes or their tyres pop, I,m always seeing them changeing a wheel on the side of the road. My faverote thing to do when I see 1 & im on my mountan bike is to go on the dirt and race passed them then jump back onto the road

r.g.nixon, Feb 7, 9:58am
Not if everyone followed that rule.

hazelnut2, Feb 7, 8:27pm
carkitter wrote:
I would like to add that the hard shoulder and cycles lanes are often the part of the road that is heavily cambered, poorly sealed, full of gravel, rocks and other debris which is dangerous to ride in.

Totally agree. Cyclists have to constantly scan every METER of the road ahead to avoid debris and find a smooth and safe ride!Car drivers just zoom along, never thinking much about the condition of the road, except when their wheels are caught in gravel

In fact, it's the cars and trucks contributing to the mess on the sides of the roads which make riding dangerous for cyclists!

Would be good if bike lanes could be made in the verges.In some parts of the country, these are metres wide.