Should cyclists be allowed in 100kph areas?

Page 1 / 3
terckon, Jan 31, 5:58pm
On Sunday I came across 2 cyclists riding side by side in 100 kph area. I had to slow down to 40 kph to wait for one of them to move over so I could pass, there was oncoming traffic. Then on the way home I met a truck passing another cyclist on a blind corner and there wasn't a lot of room. Traffic rules want motor vehicles to give cyclists 1.5 meters clearance.Must have been some bike ride on that day. If a motor vehicle travels at 40 kph in 100 kph zone, they will be ticketed for going too slow yet cyclists can ride at these speeds in these areas and side by side. Very dangerous and they are taking big risks.

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 6:17pm
Answer to your title, no. In fact, when I do ride a bike, I try and stay away from busy or narrow roads.

trogedon, Jan 31, 6:22pm
Of course they should be (not motorways of course) and motorists should be ready and take evasive action to avoid cyclists, horses, tractors etc on those roads. Cyclists shouldn??

gadgit3, Jan 31, 6:29pm
I don't have a problem with them on 100km/h roads but narrow roads I just can't understand why they want to be there.

woody89, Jan 31, 6:32pm
How about coming across a group of 3 just out of Tairua on a blind narrow corner atleast 2 abreast with the 3rd wondering back and fourth between them having a conversation! If i had to take evasive action and there was a truck coming around the corner I would take my chances driving into the cyclists.

p.s

And all the other cyclists that don't ride as far left as they could in the shoulder aren't doing themselves any favors, they want us to give them 1.5 meters when they are already taking up a meter!!

gadgit3, Jan 31, 6:37pm
All the coro roads should be out of bounds. far to narrow with far to many blind corners and far to many 2.5m wide vehicles/trailers. Screams danger for cyclists

r.g.nixon, Jan 31, 6:44pm
Yes. They have as much right to the road as cars - unless there is a designated cycle-lane.

modie61, Jan 31, 6:50pm
If they are allowed on the road they should have a rego and wof. Like every other vehicle used on the road has to have.

pup2, Jan 31, 7:00pm
Yea right. Done to death already. With your small minded thinking, so should pedestrians. They use the road and walk, run, jog, hop, flip out in front of cars and get themselves run over sometimes. Hell, sometimes they stab drivers for using the same rd. They always break the law and J walk. Their continued walking etc wears out our rds at a horrendous rate. Road tax is a must. The sooner the government registers pedestrians and everyone has a rego plate so we can report them to police the better. Tui!

terckon, Jan 31, 8:03pm
Yes, they do have the same rights, but should they! They seem to be putting themselves and other road users at risk by not being able to keep up with the flow of traffic.

timmo1, Jan 31, 8:05pm
They are traffic.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 31, 8:08pm
What was he wondering!

richardmayes, Jan 31, 9:25pm
100km/h is the speed LIMIT not the dress code.

Cyclists are road users too.

If it was about who's paying the most, cars would have to pull off the road and let heavy trucks through.

etc etc

I suppose it's been a few weeks since this was last discussed.

detroitauto, Jan 31, 9:30pm
NO, the homos with there tight lycra cause accidents, mow them down if you have too.

gatski, Jan 31, 9:32pm
Cyclists should be allowed in 100kph areas in the same lane as motorvehcles, on secondary roads. They should only be allowed on main roads/ Highways with a cycle lanes. There is often not enough room for 2 trucks and 1 cyclist let alone 2 trucks/ cars and 2 cyclists. I think that it is the old story of the minority ruining it for the majority in terms of cyclist's (and drivers) arrogance. Sure automovie drivers need to respect those on 2 wheels, but I think there is the mindset of bullet-proofness on the road by cyclists.Its all very well until another cyclist is killed. It annoys me when I have to put A my life and my passengers, B the life ofoncomingdrivers and C, the life of the two cyclists in danger when I have to take evasive action when they refuse to keep left.
It is those instances that makes you think how it would be if cyclists had to be like pedrestrians and ride into oncomming traffic. It would mean that if there is not enough room they would be able to see and also take action, and from the drivers view, its harder to kill somone when you look them in the eye.
At the end of the day, transit/opus/govt needs to build more cycle lanes so in time, no cyclist will ride in the same lane as motorised vehcles

gadgit3, Jan 31, 9:38pm
Well thought out post right there. At the end of the day it's more about safty then enything elce.

richardmayes, Jan 31, 10:38pm
I don't know what is more extraordinary:

a) you consider a simple overtaking manoeuvre "taking your life into your hands" or

b) you get annoyed just because some people on the road are slower than you.

kazbanz, Jan 31, 11:10pm
Cyclists should be allowed anywhere they please provided they actually obey EXACTLY the same road rules as otjher road users.

woody1946, Feb 1, 12:18am
What would be the pro's & con's of cyclists riding on the right hand side of the road facing oncoming traffic. This would enable them to see oncoming wide trucks etc and take steps to fall into single file while they pass, rather than have there backs to the traffic. Or alternately it could be made compulsory to have rear view mirrors like all other vehicles

OOPS edit to say sorry I didn't see the post at #15 but it goes to show other people are thinking like me

modie61, Feb 1, 12:50am
They are a hazard to themselves.

woody89, Feb 1, 12:53am
A means of identification on cyclists for use in the same way as license plates on other vehicles would be good- reporting bad driving/cycling, useful in an accident,& charge a fee towards Acc etc etc. Currently tooeasy to be anonymous & not follow the rules.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Feb 1, 3:14am
yes they should be allowed but i know what u mean when u say they dont do themselves any favours sometimes by not riding far left enough round blind corners and tight roads

woody89, Feb 1, 3:36am
Might have been thinking of what to get for lunch. that or what smart ass comment your going to come up with next.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 1, 3:49am
I think we should:
1. Make riding two abreast illegal on roads with speed limits greater than 50km/h.
2. Make riding on 80km/h and above roads illegal unless the road is of acertain minimum width.

What that does is get them off the likes of Welcome Bay Road in Tauranga. if they want to keep riding the route they will have to lobby for a road upgrade. and everyone wins then!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 1, 3:51am
BTW, don't you think we live in a warped society where Cycling is promoted hand over fist despite being dangerous. Yet we are over zelous with the road toll to the point of policing speed to 1km/h of the limit!