Big thumbs up to the Police today.

Page 1 / 2
jason18, Feb 7, 5:37am
Following this van along gordonton road today he was tail gating, Crossing centre line, swerving etc I thought this guy must be pissed.

We get into the new roundabouts in Taupiri and this guy goes into the roundabout to go straight ahead. Instead of carrying along the road he keeps going right and straight up into the curb in the middle of the lanes. (these curbs are bloody high with rocks) He must panic and whips his van back left almost hitting barrier on other side but managed to correct it dunno how that van looked like it was going to roll.

I *555 him and cops were sitting in huntly where they pulled him over. I had toand give statement. Turns out he had fallen asleep.So they made him stop for 2 hours to sleep. Man he was lucky not to kill anyone or himself.

chris_051, Feb 7, 5:49am
FFS you would have interrupted the coppas setting out on revenue hunt on the notorious stretch of road between huntly and te kauwhata turn off (tui).
I drove up on sun and saw three cops on SH2 passing lanes between steen road and bottom of the Bombays. Whst a joke, anyone who buys into their BS needs their head read.

ree6, Feb 7, 5:58am
What would you rather the traffic cops did, Einstein !

jason18, Feb 7, 6:02am
They did there job really well I thought. Usually you make those calls and never see or hear from them but they had him pulled over within about 5 mins

chris_051, Feb 7, 6:17am
Concentrate on more important things than someone going faster than 4kmh over the limit on a passing lane. Don't need to be Einstein to figure that out, minimal common sense will do.

andrea_w, Feb 7, 6:21am
.and stopping someone who was falling asleep at the wheel doesn't qualify as "more important"!

edit - jason18 - top marks mate, you very likely saved at least 1 life from making that call

socram, Feb 7, 6:32am
In the days before mobile telephones (I don't use one anyway.) I pulled off the road at Waiwera, borrowed the garage phone to report a real dangerous nutter.Three kms down the road,the police had him, so I stopped and gave a statement.
Cop rang me weeks later to say he didn't think the guy would turn up at court 10am - he didn't.Turned up at 2pm and pleaded gulity.

It doesn't happen very often that you feel the need to dob someone in, but it is good to know that when you do,they'll react.

Report a burglary and it might be a different matter.

bashfulbro, Feb 7, 6:34am
Right on chris_051. the tax grabbers have got most of the country brainwashed,mostly the ones that never actually go on the road, at least,
Road safety,my ass.

gammelvind, Feb 7, 6:46am
Good on you jason, the cops do get a hard time, but this is what they are there for.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 7, 8:51am
Did they do him for careless driving! That's the least they should have done since they would have given him an ION if he'd been driving along quite safely at 111km/h entirely within his lane.

A two hour stand down is a joke.

jason18, Feb 7, 8:55am
I didnt hang around to see if he got fined,

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 7, 9:05am
Careless is a court appearance.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 7, 9:09am
If they didn't, it just goes to show how pathetic the response is to actual dangerous drivers, like those falling asleep at the wheel.

I expect they didn't do anything beyond what you saw.

pollymay, Feb 7, 9:20am
Because it's subjective and it's easier to put a number on a stick then enforce it. You went faster! Oh you're in the wrong then, easy peasy.

I got pulled over in the VN after spinning the tyres, it was because some woman with the 3 kids in the back in a ford turned without indicating so I mashed the pedal all over the floor to get out of the way. I was the softer target, there was noise, loss of traction, a commodore, young guy. No ticket but I put on my best face, however to stereotype things would be easy if it did go further.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 7, 9:28am
I wouldn't call leaving the road, riding up the kerb in front of a witness particularly subjective.

But you're right. I believe it's placed in the 'too hard' basket simply through laziness most of the time. Oh, and KPIs.

elect70, Feb 8, 2:35am
So cops didnt drop their coffee & donuts, just waited till hecame up to them.

modie61, Feb 8, 2:40am
But dont they just make money out of the ones that break the laws !
If we all obeyed the rules,how would they make money then !

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 8, 2:54am
Make more stupid laws, same as always.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 3:30am
You miss the point modie, the vast majority of people do obey the rules.

What we are seeing now is a system intentionally geared so fine that a significant proportion of those fined have broken the law unintentionally.

That's how they maintain the 100 Million Dollar a year revenue target. (Equivalent to half the road policing budget).

Pretty much the requirement is the equivalent of every driver getting a small fine every year.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 3:31am
Nice to see the system working as it should Jason18. The system still works well sometimes (thank goodness).

ringo2, Feb 8, 3:33am
Their choice.don't break the law, no fine. Easy Peasy.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 8, 4:28am
You're not so flash on interpretation and understanding.

pollymay, Feb 8, 5:06am
If you want me to point something out I had no choice when I spun tyre. However the dogs were set on me and not the one causing the problem. I'd rather break the law using my head than blindly follow it right up till a ford falcon comes through my door. To be frank I don't care what you think anyway if you are going to be so short sighted.

Feel free to arrest me, it was dangerous on a whole new level to react to a situation like that. Should of asked her politely to not pile drive the door into my lap first.

timmo1, Feb 8, 7:08am
errr.so the original poster should NOT have called *555 in your opinion!

richardmayes, Feb 8, 7:16am
Good work Jason18.

We don't need people driving like that.