Help! What to look/ask for when buying $5K vehicle

Page 3 / 3
kazbanz, Feb 16, 9:33pm
Pukus--with your budget and requirements I'm sorely tempted to say forget the 3 side by side seats thing and suggest a Toyota Ipsum.
They do seem a solid reliable vehicle and are a smaller 7 seater -solving the three side by side issue

shinra, Feb 16, 11:52pm
every car ive sold is because i was bored of it would that be a problem for you! lol

kazbanz, Feb 17, 4:13am
Actually jazz being SPECIFIC I must agree with Tgray on this one.
Without question an inspection by a reputable marque specific garage is the very best inspection to have .Followed closely by your local experienced bloke.
But I DON'T agree that the VTNZ/AA tests are valueless.
They do pick up stuff -and genuinely majorish stuff on cars. besides the scratched paint etc.
I had a mazda -Hmm I forget whatwith a liquid filled engine mound with a slight leak for example.
Yes they would be my third choice when reccomending an inspection but still better than nothing

thejazzpianoma, Feb 17, 4:18am
That kinda talk might have got you 6 kids but it's not really appropriate here.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 17, 4:23am
You don't want someone who is going to pick up some stuff. you want someone who is going to come as close as possible to finding all the serious faults on a consistent basis.
Unless they have changed their practice the AA don't even do a proper compression test, if that isn't blatantly stupid and risking missing an expensive and critical issue then I don't know what is.

mugenb20b, Feb 17, 5:08am
Who gives a f. why the owner is selling! If you check the car out throughly and everything's OK, and the price is right.what's the problem! Playing power games will just delay you from getting a car.

In my case for example, I bought a ute to do a few jobs around my properties. The jobs have now been done and that's why I'm selling it, no longer required. Although, on the other hand, I don't mind keeping it if it doesn't sell at a good price.

tgray, Feb 17, 5:58am
I'm not a fan of the AA, but if you think that their pre purchase checks are of no value, one really needs to question the authenticity of all the other stuffyou say.
My main complaint with the AA is their too picky and won't stop until they have a nice long list of things to present to the buyer, regardless of how important they are. ie/ one not long ago warned of a 'stiff rear vision mirror!'
The compression check is a comparison one as opposed to an individual reading, so not the best, and despite what you say, they do all the big stuff.
Jazzman, you really should get a job selling the cars you think so highly of.
There's no doubt you would do really well. Your problem is rubbishing everything else, including the most reliable cars on the planet. Your never going to get a consensus on that one.
You obviously have some vehicle knowledge, but it comes across as self rightious, defensive and very bias.

tgray, Feb 17, 5:58am
I'm not a fan of the AA, but if you think that their pre purchase checks are of no value, one really needs to question the authenticity of all the other stuffyou say.
My main complaint with the AA is their too picky and won't stop until they have a nice long list of things to present to the buyer, regardless of how important they are. ie/ one not long ago warned of a 'stiff rear vision mirror!'
The compression check is a comparison one as opposed to an individual reading, so not the best, and despite what you say, they do all the big stuff.
Jazzman, you really should get a job selling the cars you think so highly of.
There's no doubt you would do really well. Your problem is rubbishing everything else, including the most reliable cars on the planet. Your never going to get a consensus on that one.
You obviously have some vehicle knowledge, but it comes across as self rightious, defensive and very bias.
I really think you should keep a more open mind and listen and learn from others who also know a bit about cars.

tgray, Feb 17, 6:02am
Congrats Kaz on adding another member to the brood.

pukus, Feb 17, 9:39am
Just for interests sake . I rang a carsales today, and when told him my needs (3 booster seats side by side in rear seat) and that I had a $5K budget I got all the sighing and tut-tutting and 'ooooh that's asking for trouble' carry on . and I said, 'well, unfortunately budget dictates over my wants'. He mumbled on and around the point, trying to coax me into a $8500 vehicle. When I said AGAIN I couldn't afford that, he said 'oh hang on, I have just the one, it's a this and a that and it's got this and that, but there's one thing, it's $8500. (WHAT THE!!) Anyway, when I said once again I couldn't afford it, he saidsomething along the lines of 'You know . you've got 3 children. The government pays your tax so you should be in a position to pay $8500. I was confused, so asked what he meant.He said "You get truckloads of money in Family Tax Credits for having three children, don't you!" He had a snarly tone to his voice. I couldn't believe it. But I was still polite, and said "No, it doesn't work like that, we have to work to support our family" . I soooo wish I hadn't been polite. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

pukus, Feb 17, 10:07am
am tempted to do something more about it. ho hum.

elect70, Feb 17, 10:11am
Takethe 3 booster seat with you & see if they fit the carfirst,takesomeone withnousaboutcars orgetpro check .

incar., Feb 17, 10:17am
Bla Bla Bla, when i was giving sound advise to someone you jumped in and started

Jazz- That was a quick breakdown service. Your L300 must be really fast.
. you know I can't tow your ghost vw.

Perhaps I am mistaken and its not an L300 but a Space Head. sorry Space Gear.

Edited by thejazzpianoma at 11:49 pm, Wed 8 Feb

thejazzpianoma (145 )11:45 pm, Wed 8 Feb #24

so to me you are a Troll!