Toyota key in ignition = humming ?

comadi, Feb 16, 9:00pm
So the Toyota woes continue :-/

2003 Camry; When I put the key into the ignition, and do no more, ie turning to acc; there is a very faint humming noise coming from deep down in the engine bay.
And when I remove the key, there is a click.
It is very faint and I have to have the car in the shed to hear it.

If you can tell me what this is, then you are doing better than the local Toyota shop, and I will then give you the next problem which may or may not be related to solve:-/

saxman99, Feb 16, 9:06pm
Do you know for sure that the car is not meant to do this!

duke250, Feb 16, 9:10pm
x1
You have a serious case of nit picking. Its relatively cheap to fix

phillip.weston, Feb 16, 9:12pm
I would say it's the transponder immobiliser doing its thing.

kazbanz, Feb 16, 9:15pm
comadi--for gosh sakes if it can hum and clickyou just need to teach it to sing

comadi, Feb 16, 9:23pm
No I don't, other than the guy at Toyota didn't seem to think it was normal

comadi, Feb 16, 9:24pm
So is this normal !

comadi, Feb 16, 9:25pm
lol, the mongrel already knows how to sing, wait for part 2 :-D

nathanmac, Feb 16, 10:15pm
It went zip when it moved and bop when it stopped and whirr when it stood still - I never knew that song was a bout a Toyota!

comadi, Feb 16, 10:56pm
It sings Beep Beep like The Road Runner !

And the doors wont lock. With the key or remote.
Only when it feels like it though, there is no pattern to it whatsoever.

It can be as good as gold for long periods and then it can turn to sh*t and persevere.
Sometimes when it does lock, there is a big delay (2 to 3 seconds) between actioning and it happening.

My local garage and the Toyota dealerhave both had a go and don't know what it is.
Googling it there are a lot of variations to this theme out there, with people spending heaps on replacing actuators etc, for no gain.

kcf, Feb 16, 10:57pm
teach it the words then it won't have to hum.

johnf_456, Feb 16, 10:59pm
Hes alive!

a.woodrow, Feb 16, 11:02pm
OP - The camry will have had a headlight switch recall at some point, get your toyota dealer to check the wiring harness where switch plugs in, we had a camry exhibiting similar faults, found damaged wiring where recall had been carried out

comadi, Feb 16, 11:20pm
x1
Hi, yes got the headlight recall work done just a couple of months ago by the same Toyota dealer.
The lights were flicking off at random !
The locking problem was happening prior to the recall work being done, and I told them to check it; that was their first look.

Do you know where that wiring harness is situated !
I am lacking confidence in the abilities of some of these people, but do admit I am no expert :-/

a.woodrow, Feb 16, 11:26pm
Up above the steering column. I would probably get them to double check if you've had faults since it was replaced - if not, i can't think of what else it may be, apart from perhaps a faulty computer. or a water leak into electrics from windscreen replacement, did strike that once on the same model camry

comadi, Feb 16, 11:34pm
Yeah, no newproblems since the headlight recall work.