Hi Can I put a flat battery on the charger while

Page 1 / 2
happs1, Feb 16, 10:34pm
Its still in the car please. Sorry if this sounds really blonde of me . Just I dont have the tool to take the battery off. Got a long lead though . TIA:~)

cocabowla, Feb 16, 10:39pm
yes you can for sure

happs1, Feb 16, 10:41pm
Thank you so Much . May I ask how long do I leave it on for please!I also have a circut breaker thingee to add to the lead the orange one.

thunderbolt, Feb 16, 10:53pm
Seems to be divided opinion on this one.

Depends on the type of battery charger and the range of electronics in the car concerned.

I would always disconnect at least the earth lead just to remove the risk of damage.

If you cant and are willing to take the risk I would make sure the charger is off when connecting and disconnecting from the battery.
Also do not try to start while the charger is connected and turned on.

Good luck.

kazbanz, Feb 16, 11:06pm
always disconnect the earth leadcharging a battery.
In theory it shouldnt make an iota of difference but why one earth risk it !

happs1, Feb 16, 11:09pm
What colour is the earth wire ! . I did not after the charger on when I connected it lucky . OMG I hope I havnt stuffed it. I will go borrow a shifting spanner . and remove the battery . Do you think that the way to go concidering I have already connected it ! Thank you inadvance

richardmayes, Feb 16, 11:10pm
Whenever the car is running, its own alternator can deliver enough current to recharge the battery in what, a few minutes!And the battery itself wants to deliver a hundred amps plus to run the starter motor.

Whereas the battery charger is going to need 18 to 24 hours to charge the battery, using what tiny little current it pumps out.
What harm is connecting this tiny amount of power into exactly the same circuit going to do!

Don't waste a minute of your life by disconnecting the battery leads, the car will be fine.

hopie, Feb 16, 11:11pm
red - positive
black - earth.

earth will be a single wire - short and bolted to the body of the car.

hopie, Feb 16, 11:12pm
and red to + on the battery and black to -

just in-case haha

happs1, Feb 16, 11:12pm
Its just one of those battery chargers from super cheap auto.

happs1, Feb 16, 11:15pm
Yep got the red lead to the postive and black to the - minus . I shouldf take a pic as there are more than 2 leads to the battery . That my confusion. Oh and it wouldnt take much . hahaha

happs1, Feb 16, 11:20pm
Cheers :~) I will leave it on .

hopie, Feb 16, 11:29pm
those cheap ones wont charge if the battery is below a certain percent anyway, no matter how long you leave it on. well maybe 6-8 weeks time once it's drip feed thru

mrfxit, Feb 16, 11:30pm
Best practice is to remove at least ONE complete battery cable set from ONE side of the battery leaving only one side of the battery connected.

However .
Some modern cars when reconnected will complain about certain dashboard settings being out, including clocks & > stereo systems < which may need a code to get working again.
Some car computer engine management systems also get a bit snotty when deprived of power

Best practice in those cases is to ring your local car franchise dealer & ask them

johnf_456, Feb 16, 11:34pm
Good idea but make sure you have your security codes to unlock the stereo after doing so and have a manual for your headdeck if you don't don't know how to re tune it. Thats if you head deck is security coded.

kazbanz, Feb 16, 11:39pm
Youve never had a charger spike out have ya!

happs1, Feb 17, 12:30am
It a 205 gt pug that was sledged hammer out west aucks with my daughter in it. She was pulled out by her hair and beaten up. Daughter doing a lot better now . We found the one of the guys who did this but the police not interested in following it up. We have been donated all the glass and a door . Got the windowscreen replaced today and I went to start to take it up the road to put air in the tyre flat battery . She needs the car as she just got 2 jobs both shift work .

happs1, Feb 17, 12:31am
bugger . I went and check on it and the interior light was on. So it doing something .

happs1, Feb 17, 12:32am
Ok I will go a borrow and shifting spanner .

elect70, Feb 17, 2:19am
With modern cars disconnecting batterymeans re coding thesound system&security system( on some ) . Just dont turn anything on while its charging.

bellky, Feb 17, 2:46am
i remember this - strange situation.

hamishcookie, Feb 17, 3:19am
Depends on why the battery went flat too, depending on if there is a massive draw somewhere it might not do your charger much good, but in saying that if I leave my fairmont a couple of weeks with out running it it seams to go flat and I just bang the trickle charger on it with out disconnecting anything.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 17, 3:34am
You need to get the media involved. Many stations will do absolutely nothing about quite serious crime unless the media become involved.

Also. keep sharing your story about the Police not taking action. Until people realise there is a problem nothing can be done. I have had several similar (but not as serious) situations where the Police have done nothing. Unfortunately when I have explained these scenarios on the TM message-boards to try and show people whats going on I mostly just get ridiculed.However the more people that share their story' the better off we all are.

We all pay a hefty sum through our tax's for the Police yet when we need assistance their response rate is not consistent or at an acceptable level. We seem to be being "sold" silly and expensive PR exercises in place of proper Policing.

lusty9, Feb 17, 5:17am
yes u can

clark20, Feb 17, 7:46am
You don't know much about the new calcium batteries. do you! They need the right charger to recover properly.