Tiptronic. Can someone explain this for me i39m looking at buying a honda oddesey or similar 7 seater but really want a manual a

maclad, Feb 18, 8:43am
Can someone explain this for me. I'm looking at buying a Honda Oddesey or similar, 7 seater, but really want a manual as opposed to an automatic. I've heard of tiptronic but don't know what it is, how it works.
Seems most of them are automatic.
what other makes produce manual 7 seater vehicles that are more like a regular car than an RVR

thunderbolt, Feb 18, 8:58am
Tiptronic is a variation on Automatic.
Can drive as a standard auto, or use the sequential shifter to drive like a manual.
No clutch pedal though.

kazbanz, Feb 18, 9:01am
maclad--Im NOT ever going to say tou wont find a manual people mover. As soon as I do someone will for sure show me one. BUT in a fair few years mselling odyssey's and that sort of people mover I have never seen one in manual. The tiptronic in odysseys is not a heck of a lot more than an auto

maclad, Feb 18, 9:03am
Mmmm, thanks for that, do not think I like that, really, really want a manual. Sad i know and i should move with the times but I like my manual.

maclad, Feb 18, 9:11am
So are there other makes of 7 seaters which are manual

mugenb20b, Feb 18, 7:49pm
OK. Why on earth do you want a manual 7 seater vehicle! Why punish yourself! Automatics are SO much more user friendly.

Every single Odyssey is automatic. "Tiptronic" is just an additional 2 stage switch to the existing transmission gear change lever allowing you to change gears manually without the clutch. But, even if you are in top gear and you slow down to a stop, the transmission will still select 1st gear for you (just in case the driver is an idiot who doesn't pay attention).

The last 7 seater manual vehicles I've seen were old Estimas and Chariots. Newish Volkswagens also have manuals and DSG options. Peugeot 307 S/W and if you are lucky Opel / Holden Zafira. Maybe a few others but can't think of any at the moment.

chatsmom, Feb 18, 10:03pm
I have a older manual people mover and now want to upgrade but have also found that you can't buy one. They are all autos!
It seems that you can't be in control of driving your vehicle any longer unless you pay megabucks :(

kazbanz, Feb 18, 10:06pm
I'm sorry as per my last post I haven't personally found amodern--post 94 people mover in manual

NZTools, Feb 18, 11:03pm
Slightly off topic, but why is it people beleive they cant be in control if they have an automatic trans! Every time i grab the gear shifterand pull it back into second going downhill, funnily enough, it changes down. Almost as if I was in control! As an added bonus, I dont need to sit on the brakes all the way down the hill.Who would have thought.

gammelvind, Feb 18, 11:14pm
I understand that some people like to drive a manual, but to think that you have to have a manual to have control of the vehicle is such dated thinking. If you think that the F1 boys don't have unbelievable degrees of vehicle control and they drive basically tiptronic, then you really don't understand what driving is.

chatsmom, Feb 18, 11:26pm
For me, its more about the choice not being there. There are very few cars available in manual - looking through the vehicle pages demonstrates this!
And why is it dated thinking!

woody1946, Feb 19, 3:09am
WARNING!--- If you are planning on a Odessey, be careful, especially the V6 autos as they are prone to gearbox failure

vtecintegra, Feb 19, 3:12am
The first part of this proves the second part don't you think!

mugenb20b, Feb 19, 3:43am
+10000000 This man knows what he's talking about.

mugenb20b, Feb 19, 3:45am
Yep, so are most Mitsubishis. 4 cylinder Odyssey transmissions are OK, provided they are serviced and not tow a yacht every day. My one's done 200k and who knows how many more in Japan, still perfect. My one gets a drain and refill every 10k.

zak1998, Feb 20, 10:12am
if you buy the Honda go for the 3.0 V6 as it has 5 gears and more power as the 2.3 is under powered and only 4 gear and on a long run use more fuel. I know have had both

zak1998, Feb 20, 10:14am
never seen one fail yet

mugenb20b, Feb 20, 6:06pm
I've seen 3 in 5 years.

mugenb20b, Feb 20, 6:08pm
No, don't.

tigra, Feb 21, 2:17am
And how many Mazda's fail.

foxdonut, Feb 21, 2:22am
You have more control over a vehicle thats an automatic than a manual.

Unless you consider periodically removing your hands off one of the main control surfaces "being in control".

mugenb20b, Feb 21, 4:58am
Mazda what! 323! 626!

zak1998, Feb 21, 7:11am
And how many are on the road 1000's

zak1998, Feb 21, 7:13am
why this engine won a award in 1999 for one of the best engines on the market.210 BHP is what you need to hall 7 people around in was the fastest MPV on the market when they were launched in 1999 - 2004