Best diesel utes

Page 1 / 2
finlight, Feb 28, 7:41am
opinions please am about to buy one and want a reliable one around 2000 and up . hilux i have had and was awesome but am thinking about a triton anyone had one please!

savanna71, Feb 28, 7:45am
Brilliant utes go long tub 4D56 over 4M41 if you can, dont suffer a tenth of the problems plauging Nissan and Toyota or Volskwagen

mugenb20b, Feb 28, 8:06am
Tritons are OK, but 4WD models will suffer from gearbox problems after 200 000kms. Not too expensive to rebuild. Their turning circle is shit, so a three point turn usually ends up being a five point turn. Lower ball joints are a bit small and fail sooner than other utes (4WD models), and harmonic balancers sometimes let go, but these are not major to replace. All in all, good utes.

mugenb20b, Feb 28, 8:14am
I would be looking at Mazda Bounty / Ford Courier 2.5 litre turbo diesel, awesome power and torque, just don't cook them (replacement complete cylinder heads are cheap enough anyway). Get the radiator rodded out every couple of years or so, and keep its fins clean at all times. Cambelts take 15 minutes to replace, and they are dead easy to service.

My second pick would be a Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo, 3 litre turbo diesel, not quite as powerful as Mazda, but a little bit simpler in engine design, OHV type and no cambelt. Again, dead easy to service, but some have had problems with catalytic converters blocking up, starving the engine of power, but that's an easy fix. Some people find them too noisy, due to its direct injection setup, but to me, they make a nice crisp sound.

rjgmjs, Feb 28, 9:51am
Ford/Mazda 2-5 diesel turbo is the way to go, as mugenb20b says.

next-to-normal, Feb 28, 10:07am
dont forget the nissan navada too, but i like those rodeos with the old 4jb1 motor, and man utes have to be the most overpriced vehicles going

ezekiel67, Feb 28, 8:29pm
I've had a good run out of my 4M41 Triton, I prefer the power delivery of it over the 4D56. I find the 4D56 is all or nothing when it comes to power delivery and runs out of "puff".

Only downside of the my 4M41 is due to the EGR system the intake manifold needs a good cleaning every 60,000km.

Turning circle was best equal in class when it was launched.

D40 Navara would be another one to look at, I'd be worried about the tendency of the 2.5 Couriers to blow head gaskets.

mram, Feb 29, 2:11am
The mazda bounty/courier WLT is supossed to be 86kw vs the 3.0 rodeo at 96kw, However the couriers seem "nippier" with their lower gearing

ftroop, Feb 29, 3:03am

n3d4sp3d, Feb 29, 6:29am
triton with 4m40 (2.8) is gutless unless it has a turbo but make sure it a genuine turbo not a plus t the plus t's are hopeless. the 4m41
(3,2 DID) are good mtrs but as mentioned require inlet manifold carbon blasted at 60k intervals to prevent EGR build up inside which reduces power. what is your budget, if it stetches that far i would reccomend taking a late 2010 model or a new demo model for a spin these have the new 4d56 which has veriable geometry turbo which gives the truck alot of boogie

finlight, Mar 1, 7:23am
hi there 150000 is my limit at the most. thanks

berg, Mar 1, 8:08am
Had a brilliant run from my 2.8 td Rodeo. Only parted with it because the rego and RUC was dearer than a petrol due the the kms I do.

mugenb20b, Mar 1, 8:22am
*shakes head*

grangies, Mar 1, 8:27am
$150,000 ! LOL.

Buy a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and a big trailer.

mrcat1, Mar 1, 10:13am
I have a Nissan Navara Venturer 4WD double cab 2005 done 184km coming up for sale next week. Its the 3liter turbo @112kw, been a very good truck. so went and bought a brand new ST-X 450 double cab, hopefully be good for another 6 years.

skiff1, Mar 2, 3:58am
rip off much! and it two litre! that will love me draging the sledge with 3 bale of silage and one on the deck!

trouser, Mar 2, 4:09am
With 400-420nm of torque it's not doing too badly

intrade, Mar 2, 5:38am
it is a monsta that 2.0 tdi Power: 120kW
Transmission: 6-gear manual it will pi$$ all over japcrap
https://www.carjam.co.nz/report/!ref=45E75473

mugenb20b, Mar 2, 5:41am
Yeah.twin turbo 2 litre 4 pot.wonder how long that will last!

intrade, Mar 2, 5:44am
long vw are world leader in diesel they make the best most reliable diesel, they had to stop with unit injectors due to emission regulations and that is also what causes issues on the last unit injector engines. Service needs to be done on time however it wont tolerate neglect.

intrade, Mar 2, 5:44am
long vw are world leader in diesel they make the best most reliable diesel, they had to stop with unit injectors due to emission regulations and that is also what causes issues on the last unit injector engines. Service needs to be done on time however it wont tolerate neglect. the amarock comes with manual transmission unlike the tuareg who is hardly ever seen with a manual transmission. and its stickshift not dsg electronics junk.

savanna71, Mar 2, 5:48am
This site has some good ute reviews and head to heads and rates the VW below almost all of the competition

http://www.dixonarchive.com/prado/default.htm

intrade, Mar 2, 5:50am
yea and you think petrol is non explosive plus you think mitsubishi are the worlds best cars . no need to say more.

mugenb20b, Mar 2, 5:55am
The best diesel my arse. They twin turbo charged a small engine for a start and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they stuck a plastic water pump in it too. You know, the one where the impeller falls off! Nissan tried cranking the power up out of 2.5 litre common rail diesel Navaras, and no, it didn't quite work out.

The Amarok is Volkswagen's first 'proper' ute, the Japs were making them for decades. I have to say, they made a nice powerful ute, but only time will tell how well they last. Watch this space I say.

mugenb20b, Mar 2, 5:58am
Actually, the latest Mitsubishi Tritons (and Mazda BT50 / Ford Ranger) are the only utes I've seen that had no problems whatsoever.