WRX vs EVO vs RX7

trade_to_you, Mar 3, 7:24am
ok. can anyone not biased give me some pros or cons as to the types of vehicles in the title, I realise they are "boy racer" cars im far from a boy racer so doing it up isn't appelling. I have an '04 XR6 atm and am selling, they titles are along the lines I am looking, suggestions with reasoning are also welcome. NOT get this car it's cool.

sw20, Mar 3, 7:27am
Late model(1997+) RX7 looks the best and will hold its value better than the other two.

Never really been a fan of the WRX, but I'd have an EVO 9. Seems to be the best of the evos in terms of a total package.

trdbzr, Mar 3, 7:31am
It really depends on what model WRX, Evo, RX7 you are looking at. The biggest challenge will be finding an unmolested one. What I have found in the 'boyracer' market is that guys who do bare minimal/no mods to their car, or use high quality components when doing up their car, tend to be the type who look after their cars better than others.

hrt, Mar 3, 7:32am
Are you wanting it as a toy to thrash or what! Evo and WRX are similar and after driving each you'll either like one or the other. Its a personal preference thing as they;re very different to drive. RX7 is a completely different car. Considered RX8s also!

grangies, Mar 3, 7:33am
I am not a fan, or have any dealings with any rapid fast small(ish) cars.

But. Have you considered VW R32 OR VW GTI, or Audi RS4 or Audi A3 3.2 Quattro!

Better built cars, and generally, not previously owned by boy racers.

edangus, Mar 3, 7:37am
For me.Evo or as Grangies said VW Golf R32 (She is a hottie)

trade_to_you, Mar 3, 7:58am
Ok, thank you for feedback, greatly apreciated! Only experience I have had with a similar to suggested car is a 91 legacy which was a nice drive, VW is quite nice, not really me though, Audi, great! expect I proberbly should have set a price limit. less than what I might get for my ute. 04 XR6 140km auto. from what Trademe have id suggest 13 - 14K!
EVO - Have seen 6-7 which look nice! WRX before google eyes shape! wtf were they thinking. and RX7 98 ish model, have ponderd RX8, but no.

trade_to_you, Mar 3, 8:01am
oh wait, my mate had an evo 5! just remembered, it was evil in his hands! bloody quick huh! speed isnt important, I can only do 100kmph. Skyline r34! had an r32 when i was younger, excellent car, don't know how much they have changed

trade_to_you, Mar 3, 8:06am
thanks grangies! Um, just no Audi! lol i wish. WRX closer a bit more, yes I have had a little look on here under my price range under all cars. I was really after people who own or have owned these types of vehicles or driven them and their evaluation of them

grangies, Mar 3, 8:46am
Since you mentioned you're far from a boy racer, then I'd suggest test driving one for a full day ( or more if possible ).

Drive it in various situations.

Otherwise you may fall in love with one from taking it for a quick thrash,and buy it, due to it's rapid acceleration and cornering abilities.

It's ability to do all that, comes at a cost. The main cost being comfort.

They have stiff shocks and suspension, that will rattle your teeth and spine. And closely slotted gear sticks that make for faster changes, but in normal driving feel jittery and weird.

Stiff clutch pedals too.

Boy racers love it. But you may not.

Driving along a normal suburban road in an EVO or WRX is not a relaxing experience. You are holding onto a smaller than usual steering wheel, with super strongand stiff suspension relaying every single loose stone or twig on the road.

Great cars for driving like a maniac, but not too good for cruising.

The difference between your Falcon Ute and one of them is chalk and cheese.

horsepower7, Mar 3, 9:02am
r34 gtr ;-p

trade_to_you, Mar 3, 9:04am
thanks for that, either way input is greatly appreciated having less experience than most. The XR6 is such a nice drive aparantly done up version from a standard falcon, have no idea haven't driven one (on the back maybe.) I was looking to the 4 door + storage, the WRX wagon was a contender for this reason, I realise now I should have written a novel for my first post explaining things, im a plasteror so fitting all my gear in is. well a + not essencial.
Driving for a day sounds ideal! but if not buying I don't know if too many people are keen on that.

jenny188, Mar 3, 12:12pm
Supply and demand. Evo's dearer to buy than subies of same year and kilometers, and fetch a higher resale. Horse power = petrol , over $$$. The more horsepower , the more petrol and dollars it cost to keep and run. It all comes down to personal choice and what you can afford.My car V8, my sons an Evo. Both are fun, fun, fun

flybye_in_a_rx7, Mar 3, 8:08pm
havent had a great deal of exp with dealers but the very few i have were more than happy to let us take the car overnight. it might be a bit different for a car like the ones you are after though as they may just think you want to take it for a quick thrash.

they are all nice cars, i would go for the evo (even though my username suggests i would pick a rx7). i may pick a rx7 if i had lots of money to burn. and if i didnt have a great deal of cash up i would go for a wrx, cheaper to buy up front and you should still have $$ left over from your ute

hrt, Mar 3, 9:53pm
Look at the 3 litre Legacy too, much safer bet than a WRX. They give the usual airflow meter issues and A/F sensor issues, but you'll strike those on WRXs anyway

2lo4ho, Mar 4, 2:42am
ive owned two evo 3's a WRX 98 and Evo6. It all depends on what your looking for. WRX has a more 'mechanical' feel if that makes any sense, the Evo6 was comfortable and big feeling however with ayc and computers taking over when throwing it hard into corners, i couldnt trust it completely. Sold that and went back to a modified Evo 3 again. Much smaller/lighter/nimble and they go where you point them and much more of a go-cart feel, however. it rode hard and gave me a sore back after 20mins. I would say flag the RX7, just because i dont appeal to me. Ive had a couple of skyline turbos as well but you get sick of not having traction when you need/want it. My choice overall would be a new evo(8-9) otherwise the wrx if its been looked after

2lo4ho, Mar 4, 2:42am
ive owned two evo 3's a WRX 98 and Evo6. It all depends on what your looking for. WRX has a more 'mechanical' feel if that makes any sense, the Evo6 was comfortable and big feeling however with ayc and computers taking over on loss of traction, i couldnt trust it completely. Sold that and went back to a modified Evo 3 again. Much smaller/lighter/nimble and they go where you point them however. it rode like there was no suspension and gave me a sore back after 20mins. I would say flag the RX7, just because i dont appeal to me. Ive had a couple of skyline turbos as well but you get sick of not having traction when you need/want it. My choice overall would be a new evo(8-9) otherwise the wrx if its been looked after

trade_to_you, Mar 4, 4:42am
Thanks! considering I already have a forked back im gonna steer well clear of pre 6 evos! I have spotted a few listings which are along the lines im liking, # 452346468 WRX, # 454268856 EVO6. Evo has higher kms, cheapest 6 on trademe and a very nice looker (nicer with a spoiler imo). The WRX on the other hand has very low km (for the age) looks nice clean and tidy. oh and cheaper too

ninja_man, Mar 4, 4:47am
if its just a weekend car, go for the rx7 of a gtr. If its a daily driverthen get the sti or evo.

trade_to_you, Mar 4, 5:08am
sorry, I apreciate your info trying not to laugh at bretherin wagon tho, you dont see them every day, prehaps for a reason! and yes ouch $$.
I am liking the wrx the more i look at it just need to sell the ute now. anyone need one! lol

trade_to_you, Mar 4, 6:30am
Nice examples, thanks, bit high on the kms tho. I understood the first sentance and the links. the rest im just assuming is good lol

hijacka, Mar 4, 7:07am
High kms but you can get the engine rebuilt for around 3g.
The problem with normal wrx is they miss out on the goodies so to speak. just the engine alone STI has forged piston and high reving shim under bucket heads better turbos vs small turbos cast pistons shim over bucket heads . i could go on and on about the difference etc but i can't stand typing to much, my suggestion is you get behind the wheel of the said cars
Heres a 0-100 time in my GF8 V3 STI i did i while ago it is slight faster now i might add, this was taken running standard boost pressure and standard turbo
http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee437/hijacka/!action=view&current=009-2.mp4