What the common faults that the caldina gtt have?

bbbottle, Mar 3, 10:28pm
x1
looking at buying a 97 98 Toyota caldina gtt. just wondering what the common faults are with them. cheers

demons, Mar 3, 11:39pm
manifold tent to crack if thrashed and hence are now hard to find .mate had one went thru 3 in one year.

gadgit3, Mar 4, 12:04am
Custom manifold much cheaper. the turbo can be cut from the manifold and a flange fitted.

gadgit3, Mar 4, 12:06am
2nd gear syncro gets a hiding from keen drivers and removing the gear box is a large cost if paying someone to do so.

amie10, Mar 4, 12:36am
Plus it is 14 years old. Will fall apart soonif it hasn't already. Thirsty also.

johnf_456, Mar 4, 1:22am
x2
Age is irrelevant

ryanm2, Mar 4, 2:02am
solder joins dry out which is completely relevant to age and these can be an issue with the instrument cluster with the Caldina.Also, plastics / rubber perish which is also age relevant, metals disentegrate, thats age relevant. Im starting to think the age of a car is relevant.

I had a GTT caldina, i was kinda underwhelmed by the whole experience. For the price a GTT is going to cost that hasn't been boy raced I would be looking at something else. If you really want a turbo go for an audi / VW or nissan. if you really want a Toyota you have issues.

a.woodrow, Mar 4, 2:06am
I think age isn't all that relevant. metals don't really fall apart after 14 years or so. much more important is the actual current condition of the vehicle. Does everything on the vehicle work, get an inspection by your garage, how does it drive, any service history. all much more important than the year of build

jason18, Mar 4, 2:10am
Age is relevant. After a while things get older and start failing.Just like a human body

sw20, Mar 4, 2:19am
The main issue being that they are hideous. Nearly as ugly as a Stagea.

johnf_456, Mar 4, 8:48am
x1
Depends entirely on the car, nor is all younger cars problem free. My work hack is a 80's car that just goes and goes and does not have any issues. But really make a judgement on each car on a case by case basis. Just because a car is younger does not mean its better, get a mechanical inspection if in doubt. They are relatively modern cars, I'd much rather have a older well serviced car than have one that is being abused and neglected that is much younger.

Sure when it gets really really old you may have to replace the odd thing. But when its too uneconomic to fix,then get rid of it. But yes eventually all cars reach the point of being a money pit but a late 90's cars is hardly old.