Toyota MR2 G-Limited 1990 : Opinions ?

Page 2 / 3
pollymay, Aug 31, 11:46am
Just don't buy the white turbo one with the plate CJD203 lol.

michael.benn, Aug 31, 10:38pm
Haha I remember that thread lol

un_known, Sep 1, 12:07am
i believe hes talking about the mgf not the elise.

Thought u wanted a 944 Michael, have you given up on that!if you want an mr2 go for the aw11 supercharged far cooler car than the sw20.

extrayda, Sep 1, 12:40am
Had a 1990 SW20 for a few years (actually was the mrs' car),It was fine, fun to drive, and had no issues with the T-Top (although this was about 12 years ago !).I never had any problem parking it, they aren't a big car, and I never had problems knowing where the corners of the car were ;-)Mechanically it had no real issues, the Air Con failed when we were selling it, and it wasn't just a simple re-gas, ended up being quite expensive to fix.The handling was fine up to a point, but I found it felt very light at the front when driving at speed, also definitely diffferent with engine at the back.It was an NA auto 2litre, if it had been for me, I'd have bought the turbo 2 litre manual.My car at the time was a GTST 90 Skyline (2.0 Auto Turbo) which was much faster (as expected being a turbo) and also much more predictable and stable at higher speeds than the MR2.MR2 had the Targa and somehow always felt more fun than the skyline.I'm 6'4" and just fitted in if I took the interior covers off the bottom of the Targa top (or usually just took the Targa off completely).

michael.benn, Sep 1, 1:00am
I have a giant list of cars that I want to own at some point in time - the Porsche 944 I'm gonna wait until I'm in a proper job, and not just a student studying :P That way I can afford the repair bill if something goes wrong. Add to that the fact that a decent 944 is about $10,000, and it's taken a back seat for now.

This little Mr2 took my attention because it was only $2,500 . but hmm, we'll see I guess.

Honestly I'd take an MX5 or a 944 over the MR2. I just thought it might be a little fun distraction in the mean time. Hard to find an MX5 under $3,000 that's actually decent.

pyro_sniper2002, Sep 1, 1:09am
I had a 91 Gen 1 which I loved and sorely miss.I have a 98 Spec Integra Type R now, which is tones of fun but I still miss my MR2 and plan to own another in the future. Old flatmate had a 97 Gen 4 Turbo, that thing was insanely fun to drive, not that common either.

sxcstar, Sep 1, 1:20am
I had one start of last year.

Issues were:
second gear syncro, alternator, head gasket, oil leaks, and a HUGE electircal issue we could never find.

In saying that it was a bloody fun car to drive (when it did go) but I just bought a dud and would go back to having one all over again.

Oh the storage does become an issue after a short time, esp when gong away for the weekend.

mugenb20b, Sep 1, 6:27am
Compared to Mitsi Evo 10 maybe, but they drive and handle very well.

pollymay, Sep 1, 7:08am
Actually they were comparing it to an FXGT which in my opinion is a pile of poo lolol. 4age have a large fanbase but I'm not sure why, peppy little things but not THAT great and run bearings.

They are great handling cars, the macpherson strut limits them as far as track days, don't expect to outhandle a double wishbone BMW or something but still very nimble, react VERY quickly. Good rally cars, I've been tearing the gravel up in them for years, posts surprisingly good times. Large base for upgrades to from just a lowly $300 camry V6 to the 2grfe which is a monster of a motor or even slap a bigger turbo on the GT model. Been there done that with just about all of them and settled on the lowly camry motor in a purple mr2, sounds alright, goes fairly well, cheap to fix and sounds nuts with an exhaust at 7k with 6 cylinders. The 3sgte on stock internals will take nutty power, there are people making 400whp on pump gas on stock rods/pistons however you start to lose some road manners at that power.

sw20, Sep 1, 7:08am
Ever seen how oversized the 3sge/3sgte rods are! I've never once seen an S series motor throw a rod. Crack a ringland! Everytime a coconut on a poorly modified 3sgte, but throw a rod, no way.

The early 90s 3sge has a habit of running bearings when neglected by letting the oil level get down. That is about the only downside really.

BTW. Buy a tidy, STANDARD, turbo version. Non turbos are slower than a wet week.

sw20, Sep 1, 7:16am
BTW fuel consumption on the turbo versions is actually bloody fantastic too.

I picked mine up from Napier, and I use fuelly.com to track my fuel usage. Napier - Christchurch 8.9 litres/100km. Around town its about 12 litres/100km, and I don't muck about.

michael.benn, Sep 1, 7:29am
If you had to choose between an MX5, an MR2 or a Porsche 944 to use as your daily, what would you pick!

gadgit3, Sep 1, 7:53am
Being a tech for Toyota for 12 years now. in a small town (Paeroa) and seen 3 3S-GE engines with a rod out the side.thats not including my bro inlaws SW20 that needed to be towed off the motorway. I go on training with tech's from other Toyota dealerships. yip is not uncommon a well neglected 3S will push a rod out the side, probably starts with a worn B.E and ends with a thump and a mess to clean up.

sw20, Sep 1, 7:58am
Why anyone would keep driving with a stupidly noisy BE bearing gone is beyond me.

Here is an old video of a 3sgte in a MR2. Stock rods. 755rwhp. http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=p2CajamYor4

gadgit3, Sep 1, 8:05am
Big Hp no issue on stock internals but neglect is what kills it and as for the noisey BE. you can't hear a thing with 1500w of dooff dooff at motor way speeds a oil starved BE wont last long. and as I said in my first post plenty of them are trashed. with the youth of today not knowing what an oil change is . 2 and 2.bla bla

pollymay, Sep 1, 10:55am
Probably the mr2. Wouldn't say no to an LS1 converted MX5 though. 944 are not my thing and parts for them would be a bit harder than what is basically a celica, I have access to lots of toyota spares so that weighs heavily with me. However with needing to tow and stuff I normally drive my commodore. My motoring palette is varied. Nothing wrong with MX5s but I hold the soft top thing against them and lots of them are soft top.

You either buy an mr2 with lots of bits replaced or buy one and replace lots of bits. You get a lot of fun for your money but if you buy a cheap one don't expect the costs to stop at buying it. A good 3rd gen later model turbo will probably set you back about 8k but for that I'd expect every brake rotor, bushing, shock etc to be in top condition ie replaced. No idea what I've dumped into mine but it's a cool car, bought it for $600 originally, it showed. Painted it, put the V6 in and messed about, full in dash DVD, custom HID headlights in projector housings, countless things replaced. Was worth every minute of work. Just finishing putting in an expensive paging alarm now with 1km range and then GPS tracking. Car means a lot to me beyond the money, kept me sane and busy after my mum died.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/Paint%20Project/WhenIgotit3.jpg http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/Paint%20Project/WhenIgotit.jpg
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/Paint%20Project/Picture009-1.jpg http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/V6%20Build/021.jpg

Yeah I know align the headlight covers, I got lazy.

michael.benn, Sep 1, 11:04pm
Nice :)

I have to say I'd take the MX5, then the 944, then the MR2 - the thing is the MR2's can be cheap as chips, but a decent MX5 is around the $5,000 mark at the least, and as above for a real decent 944 you're looking at about $10,000.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna do. Maybe sticking with my Accord isn't such a bad idea; I just want something fun to drive! :P

bitsy_boffin, Sep 1, 11:22pm
Then stop thinking and just get an MX5.

un_known, Sep 2, 6:48am
yeah just go for the mx5 man. you can find cheap ones on here sometimes, when i bought mineabout a week later there was one that sold for around $2200 i think and it was in far better condition than mine. Was obviously owned by an enthusiast well looked after already had most of the suspension and steering components replaced.

compared to mine for $2500, that had obviously been owned by someone who didnt give a crap about it, how it got a warrant i dont know because basically every rubber component and ball joint is perished and worn to an inch of its life.but thats ok, because they'll all be replaced with brand new parts.

no matter what car you go for take heed of what pollymay said. If you buy something cheap expect to replace some parts on it.

tgray, Sep 2, 6:51am
any 21 year old car should be approached with caution.

hollyshaw, Sep 3, 12:57am
MR2's are great to drive, gud on the gas bill. great handling with the rear strut.brace fitted. definety needs decent tyres. iv learntfrom that one.I use mine as a daily driver. i wud say get a mr2 they are lots of fun. I find mine easy to park. The one thing to look out for on the gen 1 &2 i to make sure they have been serviced regularly as the bigend bearing go on them.

tigra, Sep 3, 4:59am
Waiting with interest to see somebodycome out and say that MX5's are only for gays.

pollymay, Mar 28, 11:00am
If you so wish you may, I'm on the mr2 forums (mr2.com) all the time. 328FTW is my username if you didn't already know.

timmo1, Mar 28, 9:18pm
Ive owned two MR2s (92 targa non-turbo and a 92 turbo) and two MX5s (97 NA and currently a 98 NB RS).The MX5 beats it hands down in the handling stakes. In the MR2, you never really knew what was going to happen going into a corner.sometimes it plowed, sometimes it gripped: The front end didn't communicate that well.

In the MX5, the steering and suspension communicate everything to you far better.

bwg11, Mar 29, 1:21am
No. More like an early 911.