Toyota MR2 G-Limited 1990 : Opinions ?

Page 3 / 3
inkapuka, Mar 29, 4:14am
i know of 2 people with an mr2 non turbo 90 and 92 both had buggerd 2nd gearand leaky t top bad in car wash lol

doug207, Mar 29, 4:39am
Why are people whining about leaking T-tops! They're seriously easy to fix and only become leaky because idiots cannot maintain seals. (no seal puns.)

pollymay, Mar 29, 4:41am
If you find the mr2 handling funny look at your setup cause that's what it is half the time. They will not forgive you for bad tyres, unstaggered wheels and lax alignment.

michael.benn, Mar 30, 3:14am
Chase, I'm gonna buy that one I showed you. Ran fine. Drove good.

Only problem is that I'm quite tall, and the gap between the handbrake and steering wheel made using the clutch properly quite difficult.

Can you recommend me a good aftermarket steering wheel for the MR2 !

michael.benn, Mar 30, 3:14am
Chase, I'm gonna buy that one I showed you. Ran fine. Drove good.

Only problem is that I'm quite tall, and the gap between the handbrake and steering wheel made using the clutch properly quite difficult.

Can you recommend me a good aftermarket steering wheel for the MR2 !

EDIT - A good SMALL aftermarket steering wheel. As in quite a bit smaller than the stock one.

pollymay, Mar 30, 3:46am
Most people go with a momo. The main thing is get a decent boss for between the column and the wheel or else they land up too close/far from the indicator stacks and stuff. Some people just buy a cheap one then bend the stalks but those cheap bosses can strip out or break if they are really badly made chinese junk. I actually made my own boss on my V6 after having trouble with the alloy one stripping out in the threads that holds the wheel on.

I've has SAAS, momo, stock, cheapies. My old momo is still my favourite.

michael.benn, Mar 30, 3:50am
Is there a decent boss kit on trademe that you can link me to!

Would appreciate it man :)

ninja_man, Mar 30, 9:53am
not a big fan of the mr2's handling. over 150k's the front gets very light. Try go fast around a corner and you will get sudden oversteer and probably crash unless your a skilled driver. 2 of my mates have crashed their mr2's in the last 3 weeks haha. But if its just a car to get from A to B then itl be just fine.

pollymay, Mar 30, 11:42am
I do over 150k.on gravel.in the wet

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=Zj_pTHqK2hw

Pussies

guest, Apr 2, 9:47am
Love 'em. Had one for years running 12psi and it didn't miss a beat.

vtecnet, Apr 3, 7:41am
I had a stock 1989 MR2 Supercharged model, I found the handling average, in fact I found that it under steered more then anything, I find my E30 BMW a lot more fun, as that really is tail happy and scary in certain conditions.

kcf, Apr 3, 8:15pm
bear in mind that Toyota played with the MR2 handling constantly during the life of the car.I had a 1984 that would savagely spin me into the scenery at the blink of an eye, then I had a 1989 that I could drive sideways around Manfeild in the rain in third gear no worries.Yet they were both AW11's.

So just because one particular MR2 had a scary handling trait, does not mean that they all do.That isn't even taking into account that they may have been played with in the last 20 years by previous owners, which may have improved or ruined the handling.

pollymay, Apr 3, 8:31pm
That's why I say it's setup. They are are temperamental but set up correctly they have very tolerable handling.

The ones that moan about "snap oversteer" and whatnot are normally driving around on flogged out bushings and a lax alignment. The supercharged mr2 did tend understeer more left stock with toyota recommended alignment, they do well with a little more front camber and a stiffer rear swaybar and/or springs in the rear to keep a little weight towards the front when pounding the corners. It's all in setting it up for how you drive. I tend to run some pretty severe toe settings to make the rear end swing quite violently without an LSD which is another point, the LSD diff in the turbo makes a handling difference, it's not just for better burnouts :P

timmo1, Apr 3, 8:47pm
At the risk of sounding like a tool, you weren't driving it hard enough haha. At least with my MR2s on the track, the car started to understeer at high cornering speeds but small throttle positions- Once you chucked in more throttle (which is somewhat counter intuitive for other types of cars) the back came around a bit more and you could corner a heap faster in a more neutral alignment.

doug207, Apr 3, 11:09pm
Anyone who thinks they handle poorly should stick to a front wheel drive and never consider an MR-2, or a pre 996 911 for that matter. They're an involving car, well balanced and you need to pay attention driving fast in them, under and over steer are easy enough to correct if you drive smoothly.
If you're rough with it, it'll bit you, but so will anything.