Cambelt snapped - Is dealer responsible?

Page 2 / 3
hydroman08, Apr 6, 5:12am
Why would you bother buying from them then!You wouldnt buy meat from a butcher who doesnt know what sort it is.

jmma, Apr 6, 5:12am
Did you ask about the brake pad wear or how worn are the tyres, Maybe you asked how much life left in the clutch or whats the condition of the radiator!
Nah, you sat in it, you drove it and liked it, payed for it and was happy, now you think the dealer is responsible, no way.

franc123, Apr 6, 5:21am
Huh! That information would have to be displayed on the SIN card or whatever its called displayed in the window. You would have to be suspicious of a dealer who claimed to not know such an important detail as that! As for timing belts breaking, they're a maintenance item and if it breaks, guess what, its long past when it should have been changed. Cars with an unknown or incomplete service history are always suspect until checked out, regardless of odo readings. Anyone with any sense looks into this as part of an independent PP inspection.

tgray, Apr 6, 5:25am
Well, its called a CIN card now, and it does not show how many cylinders a car has or what 'type' of engine, just it's displacement.

vtecintegra, Apr 6, 5:27am
The SIN only has the engine capacity and fuel type nothing very specific

franc123, Apr 6, 5:35am
The info is adequate enough for a consumer to know whether its a 2.0 litre diesel, or a 3.5 petrol for example, but granted doesnt give cyl numbers. A dealer still could not claim to have 'no idea' what engine was in it, whether they traded it or imported it, thats ridiculous.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 6, 6:19am
Then he has no place selling cars if he can't tell at glance whether it has a belt or a chain.

mugenb20b, Apr 6, 7:31am
The dealer in question had to go and look at the info to tell me what size the engine was. It was a 2.7, he thought it was a 2.4, but confirmed after reading the info on the card. How many cylinders! He opened the bonnet and saw a big plastic engine cover. "I'm not sure, I think it's a 6". Was a V6 in fact, it's just the impression I got that he wasn't sure what engine type this vehicle had. In the end, it made no difference to me, as I knew what I was looking at. I do have to give the guy some credit though, as this particular vehicle came out with 2 petrol engines and 1 diesel. So maybe, he sold quite a few and didn't want to mislead me.

net_oz, Apr 6, 7:42am
And a cambelt can break anytime. Doesn't have to be more than 100k either. Bad luck on the OP part. Nothing to do with the dealer.

panicky, Apr 6, 7:49am
Most dealers who "do cambelts" as a sweetener for a sale only replace the belt anyway.IMO opinion the OP has no comeback if the cambelt was not mentioned or discussed at the time of sale.You should not assume something has been done unless specifically discussed or there are signs (stickers, markings) that it has been done.

outbidyou2, Apr 6, 7:53am
Yes, dealer responsible for broken cambelt . The premium you pay going to a dealer is for them to service their crystal ball and for having the second-hand car that you are buying in new condition.

wasser61, Apr 6, 9:42am
The only post here that has made any sense.

karstuff, Apr 6, 10:15am
Ford have overcome this problem by running the Timing belt in oil.The belt will last the life of the vehicle on the Ecoboost 1 litre 3 cyl turbo direct injection engine.No worries.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2012/02/cars/ford/focus/ford-focus-1-0-litre-driven

horsepower7, Apr 6, 10:22am
duno about other dealers but at our yard if the car is a trade, we get pre purchase inspections done before they go on the yard, we fix all the bad stuff,including cambelts etc if they need it. but if its a newly complied car, we dont do cambelt, if customer asks about it, we neg with them on it. well as far as im aware thats what we do haha

amberjandal, Apr 6, 10:36am
The dealer will more than likely win this case if it got that far , a cambelt is a wear and tear item , it is like a battery failing or a tyre getting a puncture. A cambelt is in the same category I am afraid . Thats just how the law works in this case. Public win some , dealers win others.I can assure you the public win more often than not so the dealer will probably take it and run this time.

scoobeey, Apr 6, 10:42am
Why should the dealer have to cough up.Not like he sold a car that had major accident damage. cbelt wear and tear item . you would LOSE in court. bad luck though all the same

n1smo_gtir, Apr 6, 1:20pm
car is 11yrs old. not brand new. the dealer can't go into every single details of a vehicle. car salesman's job is to answer all questions honestly and sell on features and benefits. it's up to the buyer to do some research and ask questions before purchasing. 4 months is a long time of ownership. who knows how the cars been treated under buyers care. who's to say buyer did not fiddle under bonnet n did something that may cause the belt to deterioriate quickly. if it was 1-2 weeks i could understand but 4 months! that's stretching it.

mecanix, Apr 6, 8:44pm
Did you get a warranty policy, and if so was the first service carried out!

phillip.weston, Apr 6, 10:49pm
This is crazy! Rubber timing belts don't like oil and will generally degrade their life span.

doriandarby, Apr 6, 11:40pm
Maybe its actually a chain - the reporter might have got it wrong by calling it a belt!

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 6, 11:45pm
Depends on the type of 'rubber'.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 6, 11:49pm

phillip.weston, Apr 6, 11:55pm

cpnnz, Apr 7, 6:04am
How many km have you done in the 4 months since purchase! and have you done any servicing in that time! Thanks.

wasser61, Apr 7, 7:47am