Subi wrx 96

louweez1, Apr 17, 11:41am
every now and them it wont start. it turns over but just wont 'fire' into life,
we originally thought it was the immobilizer but i can roll start it so know its not the alarm system. any idea! can smell gas when its turning over.

a.woodrow, Apr 17, 12:06pm
Battery not strong enough to start it

louweez1, Apr 17, 12:15pm
i thought that too but its really random. sometimes it goes fine for two to three weeks then it will have a day or two of just playing up, it usually starts after a few mins of waiting. but its the roll start that gave away its not alarm related like originally thought

intrade, Apr 17, 7:27pm
when has it had its last service fuel air filter and all that!

louweez1, Apr 17, 10:16pm
lol not sure to be honest, i purchased it at xmas. that is on my to do list this week

n1smo_gtir, Apr 18, 3:17am
tried checking the coil pack!

louweez1, Apr 18, 6:13am
that is my next check. n1smo.
hopefully i still have a spare set around too

hijacka, Apr 18, 7:57am
Fuel pump at guess. check codes etc

n1smo_gtir, Apr 18, 9:09pm
my last leggy gt had same symptom. Turned out to be coil pack. 2leggy before that decided to pack a sad on the way to palmy n turned out to be a fuel pump dyin on the spot. Though it didnt spit any check codes. It's also another high possibility.

louweez1, Apr 18, 9:14pm
cheers guys. will do a service this weekend and check the fuel pump and coils.

logie-holly, Apr 19, 12:09am
96 run coil on plug dont they, rather than a coil pack.!

hijacka, Apr 19, 6:14am
96 is change over year, if its a V2 it will have coil on plug, if its V3 it will have wasted spark,(coil on top of manifold).

hijacka, Apr 19, 6:35am
Yep, Its is a possibility bud, IMHO The coilpacks are common for failure due to the plastic splitting with the old coil packs. If this is the case the symptoms are usually miss-firing and hesitation etc more so when the engine is hot, as the plastic opens a little bit more causing more of the spark too ark out on head.This is Probably the reason why they changedthe design of the coil pack in 97-98. Fuel pumps can give random symptoms and the other reason is the subaru fuel pump is only really good for 150kms, Symptoms can be hesitation at high rpm or when you put your foot down, hard starting and may stop all together. Either symptom won't trip any fault codes