Navara upgrade

Page 1 / 2
dinosaw88, Apr 19, 12:57am
Hi all, I need to upgrade my 4WD.
I currently have a Nissan Navara with an SD23 turbo in it. Its really gutless and slow on the hills etc and theres no way it'll tow my boat.
Will putting a TD27 turbo into it make much difference!
Or should I just sell it and buy a Hilux, a Pajero or a Bighorn or something!
I need a backseat for kids, towing ability for a 30ft boat - long distances, and I wouldnt mind some decent off-road ability. I'd like to stick with a twin cab ute but would be willing to let that one go.
Thanks.

newtec1, Apr 19, 1:15am
It is no problem to repower,IF you can find the front half of the TD gearbox.They don't have a bell housing as a separate unit,but do have it incorporated within the gearbox.Good luck with finding just the front half,but i think you will need to buy a complete TD box.ps: A TD won't fit onto an SD box,hence the conversion.If my memory is correct i think it is because of the starter on the opposite side,something like that.

dinosaw88, Apr 19, 1:22am
Yeah m8 I have the TD bellhousing and the motor but you're right, I will need the whole gearbox.

dinosaw88, Apr 19, 1:29am
Will the TD27 turbo be enough to tow a 30ft boat up the hills etc though!

kingfisher21, Apr 19, 1:48am
You'll probably find yourself disappointed with a TD27T as well, I sold mine as it was way to underpowered to tow anything reasonable with, a 30 foot boat! No way.

dinosaw88, Apr 19, 1:56am
Yeah thats what I thought. Maybe I should get a Safari. Anyone know what the 3.1 diesel manual Bighornsare like!

mm12345, Apr 19, 1:58am
30 feet is a very big boat to put on a road trailer (they do exist though).There wouldn't be many that size which would be legal to tow under usual light trailer width limits, and as they'd probably be over 2.5 tonnes, they'd need appropriate brake systems etc, not override brakes.
My boat is about 25" and almost 2.5 tonnes with normal gear loaded.I wouldn't be wanting to tow that any distance with an old Navara.I tow with an old N/A TD42 5 speed Safari.This is also slow up the hills, but as I've said before, I've never heard of towing accidents from not having enough power, but plenty from not having enough brakes.

kingfisher21, Apr 19, 2:01am
3.1! Nope, stay away, a LWB Safari would do the job nicely, it still won't be the fastest thing on the planet but it'll tow it alright.

dinosaw88, Apr 19, 2:02am
Yeah this is a narrow boat so it is legal. Just need the vehicle to do it.

gadgit3, Apr 19, 2:02am
I would be aiming for a upgrade to a Safari or Landcruiser with a 30ft boat on the rear.

mm12345, Apr 19, 2:03am
What does it weigh! Honestly - which may not be what the maker claims.

dinosaw88, Apr 19, 2:08am
No idea, I havnt got it home yet.

bellky, Apr 19, 2:09am
Ye old pre '98 Discovery tows mean and is cheap to buy, but is a Guzzler in V8 form - rated to 3500kg braked.

mm12345, Apr 19, 2:18am
Is it a trailer yacht!

dinosaw88, Apr 19, 2:21am
No its a Hartley hulled, glass over ply boat. Had a 140HP outboard but Im going to put twins on the back. Its only about 2.7m wide.

mm12345, Apr 19, 2:31am
GOP is usually pretty light, so maybe it's under the 2.5 tonnes.Take it over a weighbridge (recycling centre should do it for you).If it was actually under 2 tonnes, then the Navara could be okay.

dinosaw88, Apr 19, 2:33am
Might play it safe and just get a LWB Safari.

mm12345, Apr 19, 2:42am
SWB or LWB high or low roof.
Early SWB have a very cramped back seat, but tend to sell at a premium as they're more in demand for 4WD.LWB high roof are generally the cheapest, as they're not really sought after for 4WD, and won't fit under many garage doors.
There are some issues with GQ/Y60 auto boxes - you should google it, I think some of the problems are simply fixed (bypassing temp sensors and wiring a dash switch for OD), but there may be some other issues.Mentioning this, as finding the right safari with 5 speed won't be easy.
Absolutely and definitely avoid any 3l diesel safari - those are mainly in GU (later) models at "attractive" pricing - there's a reason why the price is low.

msigg, Apr 19, 2:46am
Yea as said with that load the best would be a Turbo safari or a landcruiser.

dinosaw88, Apr 19, 7:28am
Definitely LWB, got 2 kids to fit in the back. Wouldnt consider anything less than the TD42 and really hoping for a manual.
Thanks for all your help everyone, my mind is pretty well made up.

skiff1, Apr 19, 8:43am
patrol/safari or ranger/t50

bert37, Apr 19, 9:17am
hey i have done the sd23 to td27t conversion and it works really well, cause the sd has lower diff raito's it pulls really well with the bigger motor, dont know about a 30ft boat though

dinosaw88, Apr 20, 6:15am
True,i might do the Td27t conversion anyway as the Sd is dead. Should help resale value anyway. Hassle free conversion was it!

bert37, Apr 20, 7:38am
had to change the front half of the gear box houseing as the starter is on different side, and everything else just bolted up incd the exhust, its the same gear box just dif front housing, power steering pump is same alternator wires all pug in ect, not much harder than putting anothe sd23 back in

dinosaw88, Apr 21, 1:38am
Really, thats odd, the front halves of the SD/TD gearboxes I've got have a totally different bolt pattern. Have to keep looking I guess.