Late model Mercedes with no dipstick.

Page 1 / 3
alltorque350, Apr 30, 7:36am
2nd merc I've seen at work now with no dipstick. You have to use the dash computer to check the oil level. That's fine until a Jap import comes in today and it's all in Japanese. How are you supposed to do an oil change, or even check the oil level.

paul861, Apr 30, 7:38am
most of them sit behind the steering wheel

johnf_456, Apr 30, 7:40am
Would suit a lot of kiwi owners, some don't even know how to open the bonnet.

poppajn, Apr 30, 7:53am
Mercedes Truck,s have been like that for 10 years now.A mechanic of our,s put a dipstick in one, it caught and wrapped around the crankshaft, knocked an oil thrower off inside the motor and seized a piston.

franc123, Apr 30, 7:55am
Buy NZ new. Problem solved.

grangies, Apr 30, 7:55am
Yikes ! LoL

a.woodrow, Apr 30, 7:57am
ouch, bet he felt like a dipstick. (sorry)

It's the new big thing. lots of bmws have sealed for life diffs etc, no fill plug, just a drain plug. We had a customer in one day, she said my mercedes needs 1litre of oil - i know cos the car told me. Went out and checked yep sure enough "Add 1 litre oil, oil low" or something to that effect.

digger148, Apr 30, 7:58am
Yeah, I drive a Merc at work
Still remember my first day, with the cab over looking for the bloody dipstick.

alltorque350, Apr 30, 7:58am
The NZ ones are still a mish. You have to wait 15 minutes after running the motor before it will do it's level check, so if you have to top it up you have to wait again to re-check because the key has been on.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 8:00am
You need to change the language, otherwise its just a pain in the bum for many reasons.

This is often surprisingly easy to do. Some Mercedes you can change the language using the on screen display others I think you need to get it changed with the appropriate software and hookup.

My advice is look up the procedure for the model and year and if you can't do it yourself get the owner to take it to a service garage and get it done.

sr2, Apr 30, 8:03am
Sign of the times, our BMW race car has no dipsticks (apart from the driver & navigator!). That combined with its reliability has our service crew wondering if there is a hidden agenda to make them obsolete!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 8:04am
Its generally a good system, much better for muppets that otherwise treat their car like an appliance. Its also nice to know how much fluid you have to buy ahead of time.

Just bare in mind though, no filler plug does not necessarily mean its "sealed for life" some modern transmissions etc have a snorkle inside the drain plug. You "overfill it" and then drain the excess.

This gets around the top-up when hot issues the other poster was complaining about. What happens is you over fill it cold, hook up the software, wait for the tempurature to hit the target and then drop the drain plug but leave the snorkle in place. Do the plug up with a new washer (or new plug in some cases) Job done!

Its actually nice and quick and easy once you get your head around it.

DSG transmissions are setup this way, and they are not the only ones.

Oh, and be careful of "sealed for life" Aisin and others tried this with terrible results. I always check the forums for older cars with those setups, almost always there will be a revised service schedule and method available. Well worth while as many of those "problem" transmissions are actually decent reliable units when they are not swimming in their own filth.

The Japanese box's used in Volvo's, VW's, Nissan's etc of 10 years ago spring to mind.

sr2, Apr 30, 8:07am
Yes the software in many New Merc??

duffpot, Apr 30, 8:09am
just select english off the instrument subcluster menu and all displays will go to english

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 8:09am
It makes sense and its not just Merc's either, VW and no doubt lots of others do it too.

I think people have just got out of the habit of checking because we are so used to JDM stuff which of course was never intended for export.

alltorque350, Apr 30, 8:15am
How do you do that when it starts in japanese!

a.woodrow, Apr 30, 8:16am
Manufacturers say sealed for life because they hope that they will sell a diff or transmission down the track. Toyotas service schedules only drain and refill auto trans' as opposed to a full flush for the exact same reason

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 8:23am
Aisin I think were the main culprit (whom are part owned by Toyota). I think the ultimate irony is that its a silly excuse cheesy dealers use to talk people out of VW's etc and into a "reliable Toyota" or similar, which often suffers the same problem from the same manufacturer. If not exactly the same transmission even!

Form anecdotal evidence I suspect they are getting what they deserve as many manufacturers kick them to the curb. Just losing VW has done them out of the worlds second largest manufacturer. Fools.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 8:26am
As stated, you need to look up the instructions for your exact year/model. (google). You may even be lucky enough to find a guide with pictures and/or video. Its pointless asking without knowing what Mercedes we are talking about.

alltorque350, Apr 30, 8:31am
2005 c240 sedan. Plus it's silver if that helps jazz.

morrisman1, Apr 30, 8:33am
The Tiida here doesnt ever call for a transmission service under normal circumstances, only when used in 'adverse conditions'

Ridiculous. It will definitely be getting a flush and new filter at 100,000km. Cheaper than a new tranny.

franc123, Apr 30, 8:41am
The snag with that cunning little plan on the part of the manufacturers is that by the time the car needs a new diff or transmission, the retail price of it plus fitting will exceed the value of the vehicle, of which nobody is going to do. Better to just go and get a whole new car. Oh wait.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 8:45am
I suspect it actually comes from the manufacturer of the transmission not the vehicle. This is based on the same instructions being given for the same transmission when fitted to different brands of car.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 8:48am
Sorry, the silver ones require an english flux capacitor to change the language. I can list one for a fee.

Seriously though. I am not familiar enough with the W203 to help really. But I would suggest you use google and the MB forums (which are super helpful) and also try searching youtube.

The comand manuals are here but I suspect the language is changed seperatly for the dash display. But I could be wrong.

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsite/comand_manual.htm

Also. have a search for an online version of the owners manual.

Best of luck!

mm12345, Apr 30, 9:04am
Brilliant idea.Replace something simple, efficient, and generally fool-proof, with some electronic wizardry which is ultimately bound to fail - just to cater for a generation of idiots who need to call an electrician to change a light bulb.