Late model Mercedes with no dipstick.

Page 2 / 3
duffpot, Apr 30, 9:44am

duffpot, Apr 30, 9:48am
and page 1

Just follow the menu and sub menu instructions and u will eventually see the wordenglish amongst the japanese and u r there. good luck let us know how u get on

duffpot, Apr 30, 9:48am
damm meant page 136

mantagsi, Apr 30, 10:45am
Au contraire (pardon spelling). When it comes to electronics, doesn't it ever surprise you how many 25 year or older fuel injected cars out there still run without a hitch! Granted, sensors arent bulletproof but car electronics are some of the most robust systems outside military grade gear you will find. Take apart a car ECU, its all solid state ultra low tolerance good quality assembly, be it a lowly nissan or a posh merc. Have some faith :)

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 10:51am
+1
How stupid to want Mercedes to reduce their technology and innovation. That's most of the point of owning a Mercedes.

As you say cars are in general exceedingly reliable and low maintenance today despite their sophistication. Having a dashboard warning for low oil is also far more likely to pick up a low oil situation early than a dipstick.

This is just another example of someone whining about a car they will likely never own anyway.

sr2, Apr 30, 11:09am
+2. I'm old enough to remember when we all drove "simple" cars as everyday drivers. Give me modern electronics any day!

richardmayes, Apr 30, 11:23am
They're built for the first owner.

Not the second, third or fourth owner.

richardmayes, Apr 30, 11:26am
For the owner's sake I hope you're right.

It would be a shame if that sensor and dashboard light DON'T light up on cue, when they are 23 years and 325,000km old and the time finally comes for them to light up and do their thing.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 11:37am
Not even close to true. Mercedes (including late model ones) are some of the longest lasting vehicles around. You see Sprinter vans on here regularly with one and a half million km's on the clock still going strong. The cars are used as Taxi's in some very harsh conditions and third world country's to great effect.

Sure they had a couple of whoopses with wiring etc at one stage but every manufacturer has faults now and then and Mercedes have fewer than most.

Incidentally there are plenty of very sophisticated Mercedes and Volvo's that are now 30 years old and still going strong and very reliable on our roads.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 11:38am
1. Its not just a light
2. These systems self check when the car is started.
3. You rely on these sorts of systems for other critical things like oil pressure, brakes etc in even simple cars so whats the difference!

wildcat1, Apr 30, 11:39am
LOL hahahaha

mm12345, Apr 30, 11:57am
I couldn't disagree more.While some components as you say, like fuelinjectors themselves are reliable (I've never replaced one in a car I've owned) they're a "necessary evil" (emissions/economy) and actually a more elegant and less complex system than a carby.But though the injectors themselves might be durable, the injection system controlled by numerous sensors isn't - there are many issues with MAF, IACV, TPS, CPS, 02 sensors all linked to the injection system as a whole.But again a "necessary evil" for emissions/performance/economy.-

Something daft like an "electronic dipstick" in the MB is an unnecessary evil - it's about as pointless as having automatic wipers which come on in the rain, probably uses sensors which are exposed to harsh conditions and destined to fail - and there's no backup plan.

mm12345, Apr 30, 12:01pm
Here's the "couple of whoopsies with wiring forum" for MB USA.
Read and weep.
http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/

mm12345, Apr 30, 12:07pm
Probably that you the owner get to choose.I expect that the MB would refuse to go, flash a low oil level warning on the dash, send an SMS message to the local MB dealer to send a service van out to see you based on your GPS location, automatically open the boot to display a flashing red triangle, and eventually cost you $1000 to replace the failed oil level sensor.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 12:09pm
LOL, how about you learn how to post a link first.
*facepalm* (link just leads to a Mercedes forum homepage)

I don't see why you are so upset about Mercedes offering useful features, like being able to easily and more frequently check the oil level. I am sure the likes of Toyota will continue selling their out dated, over priced andinefficient rubbish cars for you to drive.

Oh, but wait many of those use rubbish plastic dipsticks that are hard to read and even known to break.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 12:13pm
You don't get to choose at all. Those sorts of systems are standard in even very simple modern cars. Hang, even my 1975 classic has a low brake fluid warning light.

Eventually simple cars will likely have the same in car oil level monitors too. Its always the same from your ilk, you complain about all new technology and think you know more than the designers. Yet the technology becomes mainstream anyway.

Your lot did it with alloy heads, ECU's, Fuel injection. pretty much all the new technology that we now consider reliable and mainstream. Yet the stuck in the past brigade labeled all these things as unnecessary complication, unreliable and uncalled for at the time.

mm12345, Apr 30, 12:16pm
What was wrong with the link!
http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/
There are owner forums there for various MB US models, full of posts from customers, many of them reporting electronic "personality attributes" as well as other "quality foibles".

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 12:18pm
Your link goes nowhere specific. To point to a forum in general is just pathetic. I could point to this forum and say "don't buy a car, here is a forum showing all the problems they cause".

Forums are for discussing problems so of course there will be problems there. just as there are on Toyota forums etc.

I really can't be bothered with your silly trolling attempts any longer. Goodnight.

mm12345, Apr 30, 12:18pm
Don't try to claim to speak for me - you know nothing about me.So please keep your smug disingenuous comments to yourself.

mm12345, Apr 30, 12:23pm
LOL - too scared to read any of the posts in the forums there huh!
And no - you won't find entire "lemon" forums like that dedicated to many other brands of car.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 30, 12:30pm
LOL,
O.K one more comment for the road.

You can find websites for anything, if you bother to look there are even class action and official court ordered payout websites for Toyota owners.

duffpot, Apr 30, 7:30pm
original poster
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual
/2005_c320ks_c240_c320_c320s_c-
55amg_c2403204matic_sedans.pdf-

TRy this link - about page 122 to 136

duffpot, Apr 30, 7:32pm
stupid link do it from my post no 27

a.woodrow, Apr 30, 7:39pm
Some of you need to remember that the market that Mercedes are chasing isn't generally the type that do their own oil changes or check oil levels. Mercedes expect you will take to the dealership and pay someone do to this for you

a.woodrow, Apr 30, 7:40pm
You must be on drugs. Any mass produced car in the world comes complete with forums on common faults, how to's etc, Including so called 'reliable' brands