Toyota Wish 1.8 2004 or ?

Page 3 / 3
thejazzpianoma, May 7, 10:29am
LMAO! (Facts)
Fact is that car did not even have a transmission problem at all. (its even already been stated in this thread)

trdbzr, May 7, 10:32am
so you didn't change the estimate price of the transmission from $3k brand new when you were convincing her to buy it, to $7.5k recon'd when the problems came up!

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 10:35am
No.

Brand new transmissions had been available on ebay for over a year for about 3K. I even posted a link to those at various times. That supplier is no longer available.

You can still get reconditioned transmissions for around that price though. Things change, not my fault.

You are nit picking and trying to discredit me when the whole premise of your post was a lie. (there was no transmission fault at all)

How about you contribute something useful to a thread instead of spending your life being a nasty troll.

trdbzr, May 7, 10:41am
How about you actually start posting up unbiased factual stuff about cars, rather than being one eyed and blatantly promoting cars that are no where near as good as most of them are made out to be.

trdbzr, May 7, 10:42am
btw when is the next 'b!tch fit meltdown' due!

ralphdog1, May 7, 11:05am
Jazz, care to comment on why you chose to trot out the Touran reliability index link but did not at the same time also provide the Wish one as a comparison. It goes without saying I guess that you have some faith in those links as it is not the first time I have seen you post them.
A cynic would say you did not bother as it does blow a rather large hole in your argument.
Me! I'm not a cynic hence the question.and it would be fair to say that you have got me looking @ Golf Station Wagons as the next chariot for Her in Doors. But (there is always a but) whilst I admire passion, I admire balance even more, and when I see what you have done in this particular thread I feel the pull back east again.

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 11:28am
Actually, I already pointed out the reason in this thread.
But you asked a fair question so here is the fair answer.

The reliability index is an excellent resource, its just pure data which is exactly what you want. You do however have to read it properly.

Unfortunately both models of Touran are lumped together in the reliability index. You have the original being discussed here which is just the standard VW Golf running gear in an altered bodyshell. The second generation one was really cutting edge with self parking abilities and whatnot, you also have a significant number of the crossover version etc.

So in a nutshell, you have a whole lot of more sophisticated and therefore less reliable vehicles in the sample which are not very similar to the one we are talking about.

So. really I think its much fairer to actually use the VW Golf reliability statistics. Because that is really what we are talking about here, Golf Motor, Golf Transmission, 2WD Golf powertrain, Golf electrics and so on.

Does that sound fair!

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 11:28am
Actually, I already pointed out the reason in this thread.
But you asked a fair question so here is the fair answer.

The reliability index is an excellent resource, its just pure data which is exactly what you want. You do however have to read it properly.

Unfortunately both models of Touran are lumped together in the reliability index. You have the original being discussed here which is just the standard VW Golf running gear in an altered bodyshell. The second generation one was really cutting edge with self parking abilities and whatnot, you also have a significant number of the crossover version etc.

So in a nutshell, you have a whole lot of more sophisticated and therefore less reliable vehicles in the sample which are not very similar to the one we are talking about.

So. really I think its much fairer to actually use the VW Golf reliability statistics. Because that is really what we are talking about here, Golf Motor, Golf Transmission, 2WD Golf powertrain, Golf electrics and so on. The year cut in and cut out on that sample is also a better snapshot of the particular technology we are talking about. To me it only makes sense to use whichever sample has the most examples of the particular mechanical parts we are trying to gauge the reliability of.

Does that sound fair!

ralphdog1, May 7, 11:48am
Jazz.
I get what you are saying wrt posting the Touran & Golf links.

But you have missed the more significant point of my post, why did YOU not also post the link for the Toyota, after all it would provide balance from an independent source, and would directly relate to the OP's question. Whilst the Toyota figures make the VDub's look a bit sick, the fact is that the Golf figures are still better than the average car (that being a figure of 100 from what I have read), so there are still positives in the fog.

In my view it is this lack of willingness to provide balanced information that will destroy your credibility (some of the more rampant would say it already has) And I say that with some reluctance as your posts are often informative, interesting and we all know you have the most important element, that being the ability to take the piss out of both yourself and others.
I enjoy watching (and sometimes putting in my 2c) a good debate on here, but when decision time arrives, as above balance wins over blind passion in my world.

Does that sound fair!

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 11:52am
BTW, despite appearances, I don't try and "hide" bad points of a vehicle, that would be incredibly irresponsible given we are talking about someone spending a really significant sum of money.

By the same token I don't condone incorrect "wives tails" with no factual basis. Thats why I rebut untruths like the DSG being unreliable when clearly the statistics show that's not the case.

You hear lots of glowing reviews from me because I only push cars that have truly impressed me, both in terms of how good the car is and value for money. The Mk5 Golf/A3/Touran really are that good, thats why we have had 4 in the family.

If you want to see me air concerns about European cars go and look for threads about the "Stilo Abarth" or "Alfa's Selespeed".

The lack of pushing of some models also speaks volumes. I really like the C200 Mercedes of 2001 vintage for example but I never push it because they aregrossly over priced. They are also about to go over a depreciation cliff much like the Suzuki Swifts are. I am also not a big fan of the 2.0 A4 Audi with CVT or the very early A4, although they are not terrible cars, there are just better options.

Likewise there is a huge list of others from Vectra's to some Frenchies that I think are just not up to snuff. The Citroen C5 is a classic, awsome value car ruined by an unreliable transmission. Annoyingly the transmission on those is fine if you service it, but its not designed to be serviced so unlike the old Audi sealed for life ones its difficult to circumnavigate the problem.

ralphdog1, May 7, 11:59am
You are still ignoring the crux question, that I have asked twice.

Given you love of the reliability index figures, and given the OP's question was about Toyota, why did you not post the Toyota's info too!

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 12:02pm
Sorry only just noticed your second post!

I DID also post a link for the Toyota. go and look. They didn't list the wish so I posted the Corolla as the very best example of Toyota automatic transmissions.

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 12:07pm
There it is post number 10.

ralphdog1, May 7, 12:07pm
OK, I must confess to have become confused about who linked what.
Good boy!

You would have to concede that the Golf @ 89 and the Toyo @ 24 is still something more than a statistical aberration would you not!

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 12:11pm
Thanks!

And regarding the Corolla, not really, you have to remember the Corolla is an incredibly basic car compared to the Golf. Underneath the modern shell its also about 10 years behind in technology and has as few features as you can get away with.

Its just like how the even simpler older Corolla is listed as more reliable than the newer one.

Also the difference in real world reliability between 100 and 25 is not that great, realistically any car under 100 is really good for reliability and its a case of someone has to be first.

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 12:11pm
Thanks!

And regarding the Corolla, not really, you have to remember the Corolla is an incredibly basic car compared to the Golf. Underneath the modern shell its also about 10 years behind the Golf in technology and has as few features as you can get away with.

Its just like how the even simpler older Corolla is listed as more reliable than the newer one.

Also the difference in real world reliability between 100 and 25 is not that great, realistically any car under 100 is really good for reliability and its a case of someone has to be first.

r15, May 7, 7:58pm
there is a reason why the only person in nz you ever see reccommend VW above anything else is jazz

and there is a reason why most people will tell you toyotas as a rule are reliable.

yes jazz you are correct that toyota's 4 speed auto is an old design, however it works, it works well (for a 4 speed) and it will work well day in and day out, often for prolonged perioids of abuse with little or no maintenance.

DGS on the other hand - hard to find, not common knowledge to diagnose or fix, specific to few models, of which few are around in nz,

most workshops in nz are japanese focused, meaning that the mechanics in most cases are most accustomed to japanese cars.if you throw in something completely different, obviously the job will take longer, therefore labour will cost more, and then of course jim up the road most likely won't just have any DGS parts lying about.

and then we all know how "prestigious european" dealers charge.

so there's the advise of everyone else. and the advise of 1 guy called thejazzpianoma-take your pic and good luck with your choice of vehicle

enjoy!

thejazzpianoma, May 7, 9:13pm
LOL,
r15, I see you are even struggling to spell "DSG" so no wonder you struggle with the technology.
1. The DSG is about the most popular transmission in the world.
2. Its been around for coming up 10 years now.
3. Most other manufacturers are now moving towards the same technology.
4. I do all servicing and repairs on these (including DSG) in my carport at home, I am just a guy with a bunch of spanners. if I can do it so can any GOOD general mechanic. This business of buying a simple car so you can take it to an incompetent mechanic is crazy IMO.
5. The DSG is easier to service than a regular automatic and does not even require a flush machine, you can even do it with no special tools at all if you want.
6.The whole point of the OP changing vehicle is for economy, the ancient 4 speed with torque converter in the Toyota is hugely detrimental to economy, Toyota's attempt at a Direct Injection engine is a also reliability fail so they are stuck with an old technology less efficient 1.8 engine to go with it as well.

Bottom line, the Toyota transmission is no more reliable. the statistics are there and they don't lie. Its just the Japanese import brigade desperately trying to come up with anything to stop someone buying European, its the same story every time.

r15, May 8, 10:27am
But there's a whole forum of all sorts of people, some trade some not.Almost all of them dont share your views.How can it be that a common brand is the best in all classes but only you know this

trdbzr, May 8, 10:36am
Its because hes the only one thats wearing a tin foil hat.

scoobeey, May 9, 12:40am
reliabilty speaks volumes .!Ive been running jap vechiles for coming up 20yrs with NO major problems.trusty corolla.hiace .elf truck with over a million kms between them.sure the corolla is no frills but i can guarantee its awesome reliabilty.Jazz you come on here and spoil this messageboard with your one eyed views when ops are wanting genuine advise on certain vechiles.WE KNOW YOU LOVE EURO vechiles.