Need advice on buying a 4x4

Page 2 / 2
mm12345, May 7, 9:41am
Incorrect - it certainly was called for.I'm sure he can take it - and doesn't need help.People disagree about cars - marketing gurus have been exploiting that fact for about a century - so get over it.

nightboss, May 7, 9:45am
I am not anyone's bb.

Just found you comment lacked any merit, what difference does it make where someone lives to whether their input to the discussion is of value!
In my opinion.

trdbzr, May 7, 9:48am
You really need to grow a thicker skin and come out of your cotton wool shell.

nightboss, May 7, 9:52am
I am sure he can take constructive criticism on his opinions too. What I challenged was the assertion that because he is not from anywhere near Queenstown his input should be ignored.

mm12345, May 7, 9:52am
Possibly not a lot, but possibly indicative of too much time spent reading car magazines and watching top gear etc.passing on second-hand opinions masquerading as "reviews" written by sycophantic "motoring journalists" too scared to tell the truth in case they don't get the crucial (to their career)invites and test drives at the next product launch, or that if they don't don't shill product effectively, then the payments to the account in Zurich will be cut off.

nightboss, May 7, 9:55am
In your opinion.

mm12345, May 7, 9:55am
Mine too :-)

jonw1, May 7, 10:00am
I have never had any problems from my SE Deisel Bighorn, good ride hieght, seats 7, works well as a 4wd and not overly priced. Good luck.

nightboss, May 7, 10:07am
I agree with a lot of what you say in the above reply. You have made some generalisations but I understand and agree with your point. Why did you leap to the defence of trdbzr though. His attack was not about the source of knowledge but purely "you live there so zip it" rubbish!

cassina1, May 7, 10:10am
It is worth noting there are 2 different kinds of landcruiser with one being more off road than the other and nzsk.com use the offroad model at Mt Hutt which would be a good indication of its suitability for what you want. They look about 10 years old or more so must be a strong workhorse.

pico42, May 7, 10:14am
Buy any good 6/7 seater 4WD, put a snorkel and diff breathers on it, and buy (and use) a set of chains. Beyond that, the choice is yours.

trdbzr, May 7, 10:18am
Seriously, go have a cry somewhere else.

nightboss, May 7, 10:28am
Seriously, the tissues I used are from laughing at you so hard, sorry I have none left for your tears. Seriously.

trdbzr, May 7, 10:35am
Comeback fail

ralphdog1, May 7, 10:39am
Is there a reason why we can not focus on the OP's question rather than have a school boy pissing match!

nightboss, May 7, 11:04am
This question is for you trdbzr. Or are you too busy stalking jazz in other threads like the Toyota Wish thread.

You really are a nasty piece of work. I look forward to seeing you banned, however it will not be by me because narking is against my code of conduct.

kramsnave, May 7, 11:11am
Would you lot bugger off and stop ruining someone's thread for advice!
To the op I would have a look at a 97-2000 Prado for a good all round vehicle, if you going to do regular trips up the Arrow river to Macetown or the Nevis valley make sure you have a snorkel fitted. I use one commercially in Queenstown for Safaris into the back country and Skippers Canyon in winter when full chains are required and driven right will go almost anywhere.

pico42, May 7, 12:23pm
And of course if you want to look good in Queenstown you need a Defender or Range Rover.

oakie, May 7, 8:26pm
The two front seats in a Surf. the bum part of the seats are closer than normal to the floor pan and very uncomfortable driving long distance. your legs are straight out in front of you instead of bent over the seat .

shelleigh, May 7, 9:42pm
I just think they are very silly. Didn't school go back last week!

OP contacting a local 4WD club for advice is a great idea.

boat3, May 7, 9:46pm
newsflash! japan is half under snow in winter and very cold and icy!,just like europe,alot of jap 4x4`s have very advanced traction control systems,ie about 2005 on pajero ect,these wonderful euro vehicles are great,untill they start falling apart,very expensive to fix,no one wants one once they are 5 years old,depreiciation is shocking,and they are not off roaders,all though offroad performance may not be the op`s main reason for buying a 4x4.

joe-996, May 8, 12:41am
get a landcruiser and be done with it, there is a reason they are in every minesite, every corner of the globe and every 3rd world shithole, they just keep on going!

bwg11, May 8, 4:05am
Here here. A bit of common sense at last.

sakofan, May 8, 4:19am
Thanks for this and all the other suggestions, I'm making a list of test drive candidates. Definitely doing the macetown run which is what I have in mind for river forwarding.