Hj holden alternator wiring

fordzfly, May 15, 7:40am
I am currently wiring up an alternator from a hq holden onto my hj.
The hq alternator has a D+ terminal and a B+ terminal and another plug with two terminals one horizontal and one vertical.
I have the B+ connected to the battery where does my other wire plug onto as the hj loom only has one spade terminal for the charge light.

extrayda, May 15, 9:27am
From memory I think alternators have an external regulator on the HQ's - maybe the HJ doesn't have the regulator!

fordzfly, May 15, 9:39am
would that mean i can bridge the other two terminals. and run my dark brown wire to the d+!

edangus, May 16, 2:06am
You are gonna need a external regulator, but with the age of them thay are more trouble than they are worth, reco your HJ one mate, you wont regret it.

In all of my HQs (5 to be precise) I have changed them to the later model alty and got rid of the regulator

brokebloke1, May 16, 6:09am
get one from a VH/VK 202 commodore and while your at it get the electronic dissy will be the best $150 you will ever spend, no more points to adjust.

fordzfly, May 21, 5:58am
oh yeah dont know much about the holdens but good to know about the vk alt. I fitted a external reg and i dont have a hj alt anyway. Know my question is does the charge light run to the spare d+ or the same one as the reg!

brokebloke1, May 21, 8:26am
there should be a spade connector on the alternator with " IND" this connets to idiotcharge dash lights.