Overpriced and dodgy dealer

weazelage, Mar 31, 11:20am
I went to look at a car today at a dealership that I saw on here.I thought the car was overpriced to start with (1996 toyota corolla hatch 1300cc 165,000km), the auction price is for $3,999, but the sticker on the windscreen was for $4,995.So I took it to a mate that runs a mechanics workshop.He took it for a quick drive, then put it up on the hoist.He found the following faults, then stopped looking - 1 missing engine mount bolt, timing missing, cam seal leaking so needs new cambelt, pulling badly to one side, shudder at idle.So, even if hte car is in excellent condition, price-checker says it should only be worth about $3,300.I told the guy when I returned the car what was wrong with it and he just shrugged.I asked if he was going to drop the price, knowing that there were all these things wrong and he just said "we don't isseu the WOF's".WTF!!!!So, what, if anything, can be done to get dealers to take car pricing and mechanical soundness seriously!

thunderbolt, Mar 31, 11:29am
Timing missing! What does that even mean!
All faults seem pretty minor really.
The car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
They may end up having to fix all those things for the purchaser, so would need to sell it at retail to cover their costs.

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 31, 11:53am
Oh, you were expecting a NEW 1996 Corolla for $3999!

gooddealz2, Mar 31, 12:37pm
Everybody's an expert when it comes to car prices.You have two choices.Buy it or don't.

fordkiwi27, Mar 31, 2:57pm
well you goose . move on and look somewhere else.FFS

pollymay, Mar 31, 4:31pm
Sounds like it needs a tune up and an alignment along with a couple seals. Horrendously dodgy, might force someone to do some maintenance, HOW DARE THEY!

kazbanz, Mar 31, 7:24pm
Op its really simple--the market sets the price. Not one thing bar the missing engine mount bolt is out of the ordinary for a 1996 motor car.

hijacka, Mar 31, 7:32pm
Just another dodgy car dealer

rpvr, Mar 31, 8:20pm
I don't know why people get so uptight over such things. There are hundreds of cars for sale out there, just move on.

stevo2, Apr 1, 4:36am
So some parts missing from the 16yr old car. Why is the dealer dodgy! Do you think he removed them!