Car registration thread

Page 2 / 3
robotix1970, May 23, 4:10am
i do agree with you to a point of uninsured drivers can cause alot of pain and heart ache for the fully insured people and maybe the NZ govt should bring in a system where all drivers must alteast have third party insurance before they can own or dirve on the road like i think they do in brittian (spelling)

tshop, May 23, 4:13am
Yeah if you tend to crash alot that should reflect your Rego bill, just like we pay for our own repairs, gas, & maintenance, cost should be directed at the individual car.

robotix1970, May 23, 4:30am
i am not discriminating against people that have third party or are fully insured here and i also think that the usa three-strikes law should apply here if people are caught drinking and driving after their first offence as-in first offence their drivers licence is revoked for 12moths and if they are caught again within a 5 year period then their car is like the dreaded boy-racer laws that were introduced recently allowing the distruction of vehicles for repeat offenders but if they kill an innocent by-stander then an instant life-setence of prison would perhaps apply as everybody has the right to livebut lets not get off the subject-at-hand here of vehicle registration

robotix1970, May 23, 4:59am
if a person is deemed a continuous-crasher as-in a person goes out of their way to purposely create carnage on the roads then that person should pay a higher premium for their car registration. but also with cheaper car registration it may even bring a nice supprise of vehicles holding their value for longer

tonyrockyhorror, May 23, 5:18am
How do you figure that!

twink19, May 23, 5:29am
tha ACC levy is another rip off, the Goverment collect about $680 million from rego plus another $350 million from acc added to fuel sales. and why does a new diesel car cost $330 acc and an old car only $100, is the new car not safer!

pebbles61, May 23, 5:29am
You think $290 is bad, try a large diesel car or a 601cc+ motorcycle lol

pauldw, May 23, 6:22am
I can see how it would be a win for whoever got the membership money but where would the savings come from to allow the Government to discount their fees! If the Government is in fact overcharging why should you have to join a club to get a discount!

gregelz, May 23, 6:33am
Pay as you go, To make things fair for road users the licence fee should be included in the petrol price, Petrol is primairly used as a road transport fuel so it should the tax should be include the price. I know that the biggest component of the licence fee is the ACC levi so that is where compulsary 3rd party insurance sould be introduced.

I know that petrol is used in alot of other machines like boats, mowers and the like wise, I know that you all ready pay the road tax and acc fee included in the price of the petrol and cant claim it back therfore thats why the ACC fee should be in the 3rd party insurance.

To summ it it if you dont drive your car on the road you dont pay the tax, I think that this would help lower income people as if they aint driving it aint costing them like the current licence fee that is payable regarless of if you drive your vehicle or not

pnh4, May 23, 6:51am
eh! if this is the case, its funny how bikes are equally dangerous regardless of their power, so why isn't the govt' rego's costs relate to a cars cc ratings , blardy aholes.

pnh4, May 23, 6:58am
Re-edit Why arent cars cc rating inline with what one pays for a rego, as bikes are, oh but there more dangerous, its sick freight trucks & non electric public transport thats the killer, the killer of our environment & lungs.

aredwood, May 23, 9:10am
I think that the RUC system should be extended to petrol vehicles and the fuel tax and Rego gotten rid of. That way you pay based on how many Kilometers you drive and you wont be paying any roading related taxes just to drive an off road race car, mow the lawns, use a generator ect.

At the very least they should get rid of the rule that prevents you from updating your rego if your WOF is expired. I can't think of any reason this rule is needed apart from allowing more fines to be issued.

elect70, May 24, 2:20am
Graduated foritsengine size.$100 foreach5oo cc displacement, watch theV8boys howl .

next-to-normal, May 24, 3:25am
rego could be put in the price of fuel,

mothergoose_nz, May 24, 3:29am
why should people who run their car to get groceries once a week pay the same reg as the guy who is on the road all the time , maybe a sales rep for example.

smac, May 24, 3:54am
robotix, I still don't get what you're on about.

A club that somehow offers cheaper fees. Who's paying!

tonyrockyhorror, May 24, 6:06am
The ACC levy should be funded on a RUC basis.

gregelz, May 24, 10:13pm
If the RUC is extended to petrol vehicles I think that the amount of tampering with distance recorders will go off the scale. The only way to ensure that the ACC tax is collected fairly is to include it in the cost of fuel.

No buy gas no pay the tax, simple,

The people that are most exposed to the risk on the roads pay the most ACC tax.

I agree that the current system is not fair as you pay weather you use your vehicle on the road or not. You also pay 2 or 3 times if you own 2 or 3 cars but can only drive one at a time.

The RUC system would be another idear but it is to open to fraud.

tonyrockyhorror, May 25, 12:01am
I'm not particularly keen on paying the ACC levy based my road motor vehicles for my boat and lawnmower as would happen through petrol charges.

stevexc, May 25, 12:20am
Why not!Seems plausable that you could end up on ACC through the use (or misuse) of lawnmowers and boats.

tonyrockyhorror, May 25, 12:34am
Those injuries are not funded by the ACC Motor Vehicle Account . They are funded by a different account.
http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/glossary-of-acc-terms/PRD_CTRB103700

franc123, May 25, 12:43am
Damn right, shall we also mention chainsaws and this curse in the form of these dickheads who misuse jetskis and quadbikes too! The argument that petrol outdoor power equipment users are somehow insignificant ACC claimants doesn't wash with me either.

matthew111, May 25, 9:05pm
save in one area and costs go up in another.

sfw4, May 26, 1:37pm
there are people who put those dodgey gizmoes things in [not saying who] as a revenge to NZ Govt ripp off artists, but have to be taken out at cof/wof time every 6months as Inspector will spot it straight away. One inspector was suspicious but just couldnt prove it so he tried doing owner for any little thing he could find [just being a right A-ole. but car was up to good standards so didnt work :p

sfw4, May 26, 1:42pm
the 1year wof thing is cool! never again will old-fart has-been mecanics ever try get smart Rrrse and do me for something that didnt need doing. Becuase they wouldve shut down and closed for business by then without the $55 wof check bread& butter mentality :]

They'll certainly have to pull their heads in or lose customers and go under.