New Navara 4x4 versus New Hilux 4x4

Page 1 / 3
phoenix_26, May 27, 4:07am
Just about every second new 4x4 on the road seems to be a Navara. As i dont have either i was wondering which is the nicer truck to drive on and off the rd! Which has better suspension and which has more power!

mugenb20b, May 27, 4:19am
The Navara comes with a more powerful engine, but you can get power upgrade chips for any common rail diesel (they cost around $750 to $1200). I find the Hilux more comfortable than the Navara, but wouldn't bother buying any of those two, TBH. They aren't really made for serious off road work, much too soft in the steering department (rack and pinion). And, the Navara has its sump too close to the ground. I'd probably get a Ford Ranger, even if it's the older shape.

hyphen, May 27, 5:45am
by 'off the rd', do you mean driving across your front lawn or driving over the parking islands in the supermarket car park! Both the models you mention are purpose built for this, and are rarely used off the road anywhere else

msigg, May 27, 7:34am
The Nissan navara looks great. All of these modern utes have tonnes of grunt,i wouldn't want to upgrade anything. Mind you im used to an old none turbo safari. Just won't die.

mrcat1, May 27, 8:38am
I have a new 450 Navara, goes very well. I bought it over the Hilux as it has more power and also a 3 tonne tow rating.

fordcrzy, May 27, 8:40am
the navara is the holden commodore of the ute world. its a fashion accessory rather than a good buy

mrcat1, May 27, 8:45am
I've noticed your not a fan of Navaras, considering Hilux couldn't get anywhere near what i paid for the Navara and hiluxs still don't have a 3 tonne tow rating, it was no use to me buying one of those.
Mind you i have owned 3 fords and had to put a new engine in each one of those, so they are not high on my list either.

fordcrzy, May 27, 8:50am
i wouldnt buy a courier either. but thats not the point. i am comparing model for model. not historic predjudices. the rangers are still the best

chris_051, May 27, 9:06am
Don't the 2.5 nissans have issues with the big end bolts coming loose or snapping. Oh well some may call that an improvement on the 3.0s which were blowing holes in pistons lol.

mrcat1, May 27, 9:11am
I didn't say anything about couriers, and howcan you work out a new Ranger is better than a 450 Navara! the Ranger is only ahead by 7Kw and 20 Nm and would cost me $14.5k more than i paid for my Navara. i don't think a Ranger is worth that much more for 7Kw of power.

mrcat1, May 27, 9:14am
I had a 3.0l 2005, it had done 185km of heavy towing, still had the original battery, clutch and brakes, only ever did standard servicing on it. Shall i bring up all the ford head issues! Transfer cases in the 4wd fords chains snapping and stretching in them from to much heavy work!

budgel, May 27, 9:37pm
Have the clutch issues in the Toyotas been sorted! A couple of years ago I heard of several new Hiluxes needing clutch jobs at low Ks.

mugenb20b, May 28, 5:46am
What clutch issues!

hfc2, May 28, 6:56am
both have issues, really remuera tractors, i heard navara has chassis cracking issues.,

superdave0_13, May 28, 6:59am
Master cylinder. Happened to mine.

mugenb20b, May 28, 7:07am
Coming to think of it, you are right. We also replaced a couple, I think they were plastic from memory.

fordcrzy, May 28, 7:27am
yes thats true.whats harder to fix.a cracked chassis or a clutch!

poppajn, May 28, 8:09am
My S.I.L. had a 2006 Navara new, failed WOFafter 3 years, chassis rust.

r15, May 28, 11:41am
there's a 550 navara for that!

primemeat, May 28, 7:20pm
I asked about that before buying mine. It was the d22 model not the ST or STX models.

gadgit3, May 28, 7:40pm
The 05-06 Hilux had a 10" clutch kit and 1st gear being what it is (very tall) the clutch disc had a hard time so it was upspec to a 11" in 07 and any body that had an issue in a 05-06 under 100000kms had a 11" kit fitted and a new flywheel.

mrcat1, May 29, 6:24am
Thats what my old one was and it had no chassis problems.

mrcat1, May 29, 6:25am
Sometimes it's just easier to slip it into low range especially if your moving around slowly with a trailer etc.

mugenb20b, May 29, 6:58am
I used to do that all the time, when backing trailers with heavy loads. A lot of people don't think of using low range.

bert37, May 29, 10:21pm
the new navaras have a v6 diesel in them, anyway there was a time many years ago when farmers and crumpy all had beam axel hiluxs, which were perfect farm trucks was not much else around them, except a few suzuki utes which most thought were small and under powered anyway fast forward to today and a lot of farmers i know have big shiney hiluxs parked in the shed, that are such usless whales off the road that they are buying little suzuki utes again to use around the farm go figure any way all the utes today are to fat and soft for real farm work