1996 Toyota Hilux

bigbadboysee, Jun 15, 5:30am
Just had a look at a 96 2.8l diesel hilux, has 126 on the clock(wee bit suspiscious). Mechanically seems very good, had it looked over by a mechanic at work, straight body and drives well. mate was pretty impressed by it. was wondering what you guys think something like this would be worth, car yard want $16g for it.

mugenb20b, Jun 15, 6:06am
The truck may be good, although totally gutless.and $16k for a 16 year old vehicle.! I'd be patient and look around for other options.

hfc2, Jun 15, 7:35am
Tatally gustless but if serviced every 5000 k,s the best 4 by 4 around. We run 8 2.8,s all with over 400,000 k,s, but you MUST change oil every 5000 k,s. Run some headers and a 3 inch exhaust plus get a reputable diesel tune outfit to turn up fuel pump makes a big difference to performance. Compared to late model commonrail diesels these are bullet proof.

bigbadboysee, Jun 15, 7:42am
just been talking to a guy whose got a 2001 ford courier turbo diesel. its done 300"ks but hes just put a new, genuine cynlinder head on it, replaced the cambelt and water pump, also put a larger radiator on it.(hes a mechanic), hes asking 9grand for it.

mugenb20b, Jun 15, 8:17am
It makes a big difference, yes. Can it keep up with other more modern or any turbo charged diesels around! No.

hfc2, Jun 15, 8:22am
No but they are much more reliable, show me a common rail diesel with no isiues over 450,000, k.s. Wont happen!

bigbadboysee, Jun 15, 8:29am
im not terribly concerned about how quick the thing is. to me it is just alot of money for an old truck so not sure its worth that money. i want a ute that wont give me any hassles mechanically, im sick of my commodore failing its warrant every 6 months. the ford courier i was talking to a guy about would be quicker but the K's are pretty dam high. but hes a mechanic and knows alot more than i do when it comes to that side of things

hfc2, Jun 15, 8:35am
Still a real tuff ute.

aj254, Jun 15, 8:38am
I drive a 95 hilux 2.8 with about 420 thousand kms on the clock (genuine), the most major thing I've had to do was replace the front wheel bearings/ kingpin bearings/ axle & hub seals. Reliable but it sure is slow! I paid 6k for it 4 years ago.

cuda.340, Jun 15, 9:33am
i had a '97 hilux 2.8 diesel, in the 5 years i had it & 225 kms, it had 6 axle seals & 1 gearbox rebuild & had to replace all the shocks by 100km, just waay to soft. the engine ran great with no probs.

gadgit3, Jun 15, 8:29pm
I can show you a 06 2WD Hilux common rail with over 600000kms on the clock and 2 or 3 Hiace with common rail engines rounding 800000kms.

gadgit3, Jun 15, 8:31pm
We have a list of people after the older Hilux and the last 1997 4WD sold for 18k we also sold 2x 1996 2WD single cab flat decks for 10k each.

bigbadboysee, Jun 15, 9:25pm
bloody christ, i just talked to the car dealer and told him i had changed my mind. told him i was a bit suspisious(i cant spell today) that such an old ute thats obviously been used alot had such little K's on it and he went off his rocker at me and hung up haha. he seemed to think i was accusing him of maybe unplugging the speedo when i said the previous owner may have. they seemed like a good company to go through until just now

gunhand, Jun 15, 9:36pm
Many owners (as we all know) put switches on there diesels to aviod paying tax so therefore they think there there achieving two things. A lower KM when trading or selling that may well increase price or trade value and of course saving money by not paying road users.
However the new buyer comes along and thinks the worn out POS with only 120000km on it may be clocked so stays away. New buyer is of course complety honest and wouldnt think of such a switch himself.
And you have to hope the ones they flog for 15k plus with 250000 have been switched off and on.
I wonder if the new range of utes etc are as easy to switch!

gadgit3, Jun 15, 9:42pm
No not so easy these days as the ECU gets a speed signal from the combo meter. so if the spees signal is switched off in most cases the vehicle goes into limp mode or reduces power and fuel consumpsion goes up. But if ya got some ele smarts then it can be done but not an easy job.

studio1, Jun 15, 10:01pm
Hiluxes, Surfs, FourRunners and the like all seem to command stupid money, even when they're 15 - 20 years old. Why I don't know. I'd guess that 75% of people who own them NEVER even use the 4WD ability, so why they have them beats me.
I've been looking around for a 96 rolling body. I don't care if it has no engine, or it's dead/blown or whatever - but I can't find one.
All the listings in the 'wrecked vehicles' are for guys stripping them for parts.
I have inquired with a couple of sellers who obviously deal in them and had no replies from any of them.

bigbadboysee, Jun 15, 10:03pm
yeah thats what i was saying to him but he took it personally as if i was pointing the finger at him. the tray in the back had alot of scratching throughout it as if its been a work vehicle, the inside was a wee bit rough to. it had spent ammo in the back as well so unless the previous owner had been to target practice in the city, i dare say hes been out on a farm hunting or something. the more i thought about it and talked to people the more dodgy it seemed

bigbadboysee, Jun 15, 10:04pm
just a pity though because its just about everything i was looking for, just minus a turbo. and the car yard seemed to be decent to and if the salesman hadnt of reacted so poorly i would have gone back anytime

hfc2, Jun 16, 6:40am
ok but look on tm re new hilux motors failing.