Need to look at a new vehicle. weight issues.

missus_j, Jun 11, 5:08am
Hi there,
I am needing to get a new vehicle before summer.I make concrete ornaments and go around the markets on the weekends.Basically I need something that can carry about 500 - 600kg including me.Currently we have a Nissan Terrano that is great but my hubby is sick of me stealing it on the weekends so he can't take the boat out.I do find it ok to drive but would prefer something a bit smaller.Thinking of something like a Mazda Tribute / Honda CRV type vehicle.Does anyone know how these would cope with the weight that I would carry.
Cheers.

kazbanz, Jun 11, 5:46am
missusj- 500kg is the weight of 5 heavy adults. Most 1500cc or bigger modern vehicle should be up to that.
I have sold a LOT of 1500cc Toyota funcargo's to people for EXACTLY your purpose.(runningmarket stalls) If you thought the terranno was great -wait till you see how much room you've got in the back of a funcargo.

mugenb20b, Jun 11, 5:50am
If you can spread the weight around, then both vehicles should cope OK. However, if you pile up 500kg in the boot, then no, not a good choice of vehicles. Even a Hilux Surf only has a 400kg limit.

I can't recommend on what vehicle to buy, but I would get something that has a heavy duty rear suspension, like a van or a ute.

missus_j, Jun 11, 6:05am
I do spread the weight around, front passenger seat, middle and boot.I have done a couple of markets in my little 1500 cc Mazda Familia Hatch but doesn't cope weight wise.To be honest that struggles with 3 /4 adults.If I buy a vehicle more like a stationwagon do you know if you can do something to the shocks to make it cope with more weight.I just find that the car sits so close to the tyres that it grinds over bumps etc which is not a good thing.
Kabanaz - just googled the funcargo and they do seem to have lots of room but don't think it is something that I would like to drive for the rest of the week. Sorry :(

kazbanz, Jun 11, 6:11am
missus J --have a look at the nissan avenir then. Specifically the avenir expert -which is desighned for commercial seYes you can upgrade the rear shocks on most vehicles to take more weight

mugenb20b, Jun 11, 6:34am
You can buy heavy duty / raised springs for any car. They usually cost around $200 + fitting. In fact, I've fitted H/D springs to most of the cars I've owned, even our Odyssey which can carry quite a bit and they look nice in red. The shocks are there to reduce springs from bouncing too much, but won't hurt to replace them either. They don't last forever.

As for sturdy station wagons, sorry, the only ones I know of are dinosaurs. Early 90's Mazda 626 / Ford Telstar and mid 90's (leaf sprung rear end) Toyota Corolla and Caldina diesels.

vtecintegra, Jun 11, 6:42am
I've had heaps of weight in my 4WD Nissan Avenir before - the rear suspension on them is pretty stout.

I think the basic models (badged Expert) may have even had leafs in the back

missus_j, Jun 11, 7:04am
Excuse my ignorance but what are leafs! apart from things on trees.

johnf_456, Jun 11, 7:08am

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 11, 7:09am

missus_j, Jun 11, 7:17am
Awesome thanks that totally answered that for me.I could cope with an Avenir.From the pics I have seen they seem to have heaps of height between the tyre and the body which is the main thing.I suppose would be more economical than an SUV type vehicle for general running around too.

mark68, Jun 11, 7:18am
VOLVO.

mugenb20b, Jun 11, 7:25am
Another good vehicle (in theory) would be a Citroen with hydro-pneumatic suspension.

superdave0_13, Jun 11, 7:41am
You keep the Terrano and let your husband treat himself to something new.

mark68, Jun 11, 7:57am
VOLVO

missus_j, Jun 11, 8:11pm
That is his thought too :)However for up to 20K you can't really get a 4WD any better than a terrano. LOL.The things you have to do when you have young kids and only one full time income huh. suck it up for the family.

a.woodrow, Jun 11, 8:17pm
for 20k! there's heaps of options, you could even buy him a later model prado, great trucks, albeit paying toyota tax. or what about a late model ford territory!

gs1220, Jun 12, 9:07am
With a Citroen BX you would get self-levelling suspension which would take plenty of weight. One of the usual hatch-backs would be great. There may be a wagon still around (called, amusingly, a "break"). Latter Citroens don't all have the hydraulic suspension. Citroens have long-lived engines, especially the diesels, and can be cheap to run.

amberjandal, Jun 12, 9:59am
You should sort this problem immediately , your poor husband has put up with enough not being able to use his boat , whats more , you are setting a bad example for other women who will think it is OK to borrow their mans car. Now hurry up !

amberjandal, Jun 12, 10:01am
On a serious note you should consider safety issues , if you have an accident there will be flying concrete missiles.maybe a small van with tie downs and a cargo barrier could be an option.

missus_j, Jun 12, 8:05pm
Hahah @ Amberjandal.My hubby doesn't complain when I bring money home.Used to be ok because he worked shifts so always went fishing on weekdays.Now he has weekends off we will be fighting.

The concrete ornaments are all boxed so hopefully not too many flying missiles if I crash.Normally my tables etc are over the top of the boxes too.

timmo1, Jun 12, 9:57pm
It might pay to get a piece of plywood etc cut to line the boot if it has a spare tyre stored underneath- Usually, the piece covering it is very flimsy.

fordcrzy, Jun 15, 7:02am
buy a trailer.seriously.
most cars can tow 1000-1200kg easily. so you wouldnt be stressing the cars chassis directly.