Nissan Terrano wobbling intermittently

missus_j, Jun 10, 6:44am
Hi there,
Just a quick check here first.We have a Nissan Terrano and when you drive it sometimes it starts wobbling from side to side.It happens more at speed eg 100kms and once you ease off the accelerator then it seems to right itself until you hit another rise in the road or something that seems to put it off balance.We are just trying to work out whether we book it in for a wheel alignment or whether the problem is better going to a mechanic!Any ideas from anyone.
Thanks in advance for your time :)

stabi360, Jun 10, 6:49am
weight from your wheel has fallen off

paul271, Jun 10, 6:51am
Is it the R50 model!If it is,its a common issue, first place to start is the rear suspension bushes in the trailing arms. They were woefully soft from factory, and causes them to really sway badly, even worse if you are towing. To really make them handle well, new shocks all round really transforms them as well. But you MUST replace those bushes to get it safe to drive IMO.

nosafari, Jun 10, 6:53am
I had one, done shocks, bushes and tyres.Fixed it a bit, but never fully.Know of two others with the same fault.As I was aware of it, I was cautious going over rises and didnt push it too fast into corners.Still a great vehicle.

mugenb20b, Jun 10, 7:00am
+1 What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

missus_j, Jun 10, 8:04am
Not too sure of the model number but we think we may have had the bushes replaced about 2 years ago so I am guessing off to our mechanic.It just had a warrant last week and they did say that the shocks were a bit soft as something that may need fixing before the next warrant.Hopefully this fixes the issue and I am guessing that shocks are not a cheap exercise either.Thanks all you smart motoring people.

scuba, Jun 10, 12:41pm
shocks don't usually cause wobbling.

missus_j, Jun 11, 3:46am
Ok so hubby took the vehicle and got a wheel balance today and I think they put a weight in because they said one side was out by quite alot.Couldn't fit us in for an alignment but the truck has not wobbled on the 30km home which is quite a good effort. Hopefully this may be the fix and then when we get the shocks done then it will just finish it off.

klrider, Jun 11, 7:47pm
Stop drinking before you drive.

a.woodrow, Jun 11, 8:21pm
sure they do, if they can't effectively dampen the occillations of the vehicle you can quite often get a wobble

jonesy62, Jun 12, 5:53am
rear bushes on trailing arms

ml6989, Jun 12, 10:04am
I totally agree, I had a fight with one of these and the final answer was trailing arm bushes. Incidentally, towing a trailer seemed to multiply the problem before the bushes were replaced.

scuba, Jun 12, 11:27am
increase in body roll yes, wobble -not so much

27rose27, Jun 13, 12:40pm
I had this problem, and as stated, trailing arm bushes were the culprit, replaced and now totally different vehicle! Notorious issue

twink19, Jun 14, 5:37am
a lot of people only replace bottom ones, must do top ones as well

27rose27, Jun 14, 6:35am
i got all replaced, cost about $600 from memory, but money well spent!

guest, Jul 9, 9:57am
Cars lurches from side to side when throttle on or off. At 100kms bloody dangerous.
These bushes were totaled.
The vids are of the bushes on my 1996 Terrano R50 Enjoy.
http://s815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/clawinnz/Terrano%20Regulus/?action=view¤t=30062012010.mp4
http://s815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/clawinnz/Terrano%20Regulus/?action=view¤t=30062012009.mp4
My biggest concern is that the terrano had just had a compliance and re-vin test and they failed to see this? VTNZ what a joke!
Common problem and should of been picked up.
Fix Replace with Noelathane Bushes