304 vn v8 no oil pressure ?

Page 1 / 2
modie61, Jun 13, 6:32am
Just fitted a recond motor to the car,wound it over without plugs in it,but no oil pressure,well oil light wont go out. Got any ideas ! Cheers.

40wav, Jun 13, 6:34am
Put a gauge in where the pressure sender goes and try again. That will eliminate faulty sender etc and tell you if there really is pressure or not.

40wav, Jun 13, 6:42am
Also, it might take a while to pick up and pressurise the oil. How long did you wind it over for!

modie61, Jun 13, 6:44am
About 4 times at about a minute each time,i think didnt really time it.

40wav, Jun 13, 6:46am
I would try the gauge then. That will tell you if the problem is inside or outside the engine at least. Good luck

treachug, Jun 13, 6:53am
If still no good, remove oil pump & pack it with vasolene. This is petroleum based & will disperse into oil with no ill effects. The pump when packed with vase will create vacumm & suck the oil up. The Holden V8 engines (red, blue, black including efi ones) are basic technology & to get oil pressure up is a mission. May be a quick trip to local supermarket to buy a big tub of it!

ghost-roaster, Jun 13, 7:29am
prime the oil pump.

modie61, Jun 13, 7:30am
Yea i primed the pump before i put the motor in,but that was 2 weeks ago.Oh and i primed it with engine oil only.

rmbimports, Jun 13, 8:33am
Wasting your time trying to get oil pressure by cranking on the starter. Prime the pump with either vas or oil ( if priming with oil you need to force it in trough the pres gauge holewith a pump) fill the oil filter before fitting and just start it. Oil pressure will come up straight away.

gunna-1, Jun 13, 12:39pm
Has the oil pump been checked or reconditioned!

elect70, Jun 14, 2:24am
just start it,if dont get pressure soon asrunsswitch off . As you have primed it &there will be residual oil from assembly10 seconds wont hurt .

modie61, Jun 14, 5:05am
Ok,i have oil pressure,thanks to packing the oil pump with vaseline,next prob is it doesnt turn over very fast and i guess the lifters will take a while to bleed,i had the new lifters soaking in oil for a week and i used a push rod to bleed them and they seemed to have quite a bit of resistance,how do i get the motor to spin over quicker ! The battery is near new.

supernova2, Jun 14, 5:32am
Im guessing that perhapos its just "tight".Apart from starting it have you driven it at all.I had a problem with an old Victor 101 once where we had to tow start it for about a week, the starter just didnt have the grunt to spin it fast enough to fireup.After a bit of running all freed up nicely.

modie61, Jun 14, 5:41am
I havent started it at all yet,its tight because of the type of rear main and everything being brand new,its auto also,so cant tow it.
If it was carby and older i would have stuck 24vots at it. lol.

modie61, Jun 16, 1:11am
Well it looks like the motor has seized,can barely turn it over with a long strong arm bar on the crank pulley,so out it comes.

bellky, Jun 16, 2:33am
That's not good news - sorry to hear that.

modie61, Jun 16, 2:36am
Thanks belky,must have wound it over for too long with no oil pressure ! I did use the proper engine assembly tube of goop given to me by the reconditioner.

skin1235, Jun 16, 2:44am
whoa, get those plugs out, give it a good dose of engine oil and diesel 50/50 down each hole, wind it over with your bar and then with the starter
if you have seized it on the starter motor it was not assembled right
there is no way you will seize it through lack of lube or water while winding it over - unless you failed to do things like gap the rings or gauge the bearings, and you'd have to burn out a starter or two to even get it to tighten up in those circumstances too

ceebee2, Jun 16, 4:28am
Who recond the engine!

ceebee2, Jun 16, 4:30am
Of all the V8 and other engines I have rebuilt / recond, have never had one seize before driving it.most have been something radically wrong with "Recon"

julie56, Jun 16, 4:58am
make sure you fill oil filter with oil, turn over and remove oil filter and refill sounds like air lock in pump and pick up, did you prime oil pump on fitting

modie61, Jun 16, 5:42am
Did that skin,it almost fired up but it just turns over unevenly and sounds like it is preigniting,borrowed a decent jump pack which gets it spinning better. Give it another go in the morning.

skin1235, Jun 16, 8:42am
you can clip 1/2 a dozen batteries together to get a good 12V supply, the limiter is always going to be the starter motor

you can also clip in 24v to the starter motor mains, use the 12v from the car system to operate the solenoid, once the contacts close you'll pump the 24v, you could even use 12 of that 24 through a start switch, won't effect the 12v system or interfere with it. but can your starter handle 24v

skin1235, Jun 16, 8:44am
you absolutely sure you got the firing sequence right! and timing / cams set right, slow hydraulics due to not quite enough oil yet will only retard - which is a lot different to pre-ignite

aredwood, Jun 16, 11:08am
x1
Before you take the motor out remove all of the spark plugs and try cranking it again. It might be hydro locking. if so then water, fuel ect will blast out of 1 of the spark plug holes.