304 vn v8 no oil pressure ?

Page 2 / 2
modie61, Jun 16, 10:16pm
aredwood, it turns ok without plugs in it,nothing coming out of plug holes,will go over timing again.

ceebee2, Jun 16, 11:33pm
I thought it had seized!

modie61, Jun 17, 12:03am
At 1 stage there i could only just budge it with the bar on it. Have fired a mix of diesel and oil into the plug holes and you can turn it freely with the bar,tried just now to start it,but it wants to but not quite.

howz_that, Jun 17, 4:45am
Double check your cam timing followed by firing order

modie61, Jun 24, 8:42am
Update is i have finally got back to working on the car. It goes now,dont know why it didnt before but it starts and runs with good oil pressure. Todays problem is it only runs on 6 cyls,its not firing on the back 2,that is number 7 and 8. Have replaced plugs,changed injectors around,check for good spark,it is a bright blue one,lol. Tomorrow im off to borrow a compression gauge to check them. Any ideas !

skin1235, Jun 24, 8:50am
carbed!, check if those two are on a common barrel
pumped!, and good spark, compression is a good place to start, although it would not have had time to bed in the rings yet, check lifters ( why 7 and 8! = they're at the end of the oil run, could have run a bit dry on those last two

skin1235, Jun 24, 8:52am
and then I see you've swapped out the injectors so forget the carbed! bit

makes it easier

compression or valve lag ( lifters)

modie61, Jun 24, 8:54am
Thanks skin,its injected,vn. I will check those lifters tomorrow.
Note: 7 and 8 are beside each other on the dizzy cap.

skin1235, Jun 24, 10:28am
is the cap a new one,
won't be tracking cos you've got good blue, if it was tracking between the two instead of to earth one of them would be firing correctly

points or electronic, check air gap, especially at that area of 7 and 8, the fact they are adjacent (edit - you've got good blue on each so not likely to be a spark or dizzy issue) and both not firing has got to be a factor - and that factor is not lack of spark so is either no compression, no fuel
suck, squeeze, bang, blow, no logical reason for lack of suck ( lifters slow - they'd be tickin ), so squeeze - valves not sealing, head gasket blown - compression gauge will tell - was very tight, maybe rings were not gaped in those bores and are now 3 piece, bang we have - sparks and fuel in the right place and time, could it be blow - but why blame exhaust on 1 port each side - unlikely

skin1235, Jun 24, 10:40am
compression for some reason is the most likely scenario
a reworked engine, what work was done to heads, valves, how good are the cam lobes ( the old 253 used to wear off the back 3 lobes quite regular due to end of oil run ie no or reduced lube)
or gaskets, be odd to blow both, but could if if it hydraulic'd ( why was it so hard to turn in the earlier stages )
rings!, yep they're new but were they checked in those holes
had a 186 rebored once, 5 cylinders came back 60 thou over, the 6th was only 20 over, as I found when checking the rings cos obviously the piston would not fit to push the rings down, didn't send it back just got a 20 over piston and cut down the supplied rings to suit

snoopy221, Jun 24, 1:43pm
had a 186 rebored once, 5 cylinders came back 60 thou over, the 6th was only 20 over, as I found when checking the rings cos obviously the piston would not fit to push the rings down, didn't send it back just got a 20 over piston and cut down the supplied rings to suit

Quoteskin1235 (103 )10:40 pm, Sun 24 Jun #36

Your'e a blrAdy worry.LOL

treachug, Jun 24, 7:20pm
Has 7 & 8 cyl rocker gear got oil up to the rockers & pedastals yet! Oil coming up the pushrods & filling the rockers! Takes a bit of time in those things even just to get the lifters pumped up - even though you soaked them they may not be fully pumped up. And with those two cyls being furtherest away from the oil pump this could be the issue.

skin1235, Jun 24, 9:53pm
and after all the spiel, your probably bang on too . lol

hey snoopy, what else are you meant to do at 10.30 on a Friday night and you have to pull the stockcar to napier for Saturday arvo meet
it was still running a smaller slug 4 years later when I retired the old HT wagon ( twin slipper)
it popped the circlip on the rear trans governorat woodville on the way back sunday arvo, drove through the gorge to the bridge this side and down onto the river bed, dug a small pit scrape, dropped the tailshaft and stole a spring washer off one of the carb screws, forced that on in place of the circlip - that was still there too when retirement day came

bush mechanic!
maybe but I always got home
eventually
lol

modie61, Jun 24, 11:35pm
jmma,your dead right i dont know how many times i checked those leads,but 7 and 8 were round the wrong way,thanks to all you guys for your help. The motor sounds great now,very nice note to it. Now on with the bits and pieces to get a wof on it and do some ks in it,thanks again,have a nice day.
Thanks skin,all the best to you and yours.