Fake Power tools

geedubu, Jun 10, 3:20am
I have bought some deWalt gear off TME & I see a Herald story today that a trader was selling illegally certified South American stuff and has been suspended.How do I know if my gear is OK!Anybody know who it was!

a18a, Jun 10, 3:24am
You use the tool for its intended purpose, and if it does the job reliably, then it's OK.

red97, Jun 10, 3:25am
if your tool is green and has hitachi written on it then it will be ok

geedubu, Jun 10, 3:28am
Yeah it works OK but the Herald story is all panicky about fires etc.maybe it's just a typical Herald beat-up.

geedubu, Jun 10, 3:29am
It's all deWalt not Hitachi

hutchk, Jun 10, 3:30am
Is it possible to make the sound of something going completely over someone's head via the internet! Phwoooosh!

nzeva, Jun 10, 3:37am
What's this got to do with motoring!!
Oh yes.Tesla uses 6000 deWalt lithium batteries in its electric sports car.lol

bcbuilding, Jun 10, 3:38am
Really,I'd disagree with that statement.In my experience their battery stuff has proven ok, but powered has been mediocre at best, with truly poor service from the rep.Still beats dewalt though ;-)

geedubu, Jun 10, 3:39am
Ok smartarse tell me where the power tools category is.People in this forum use & know tools, that's why I asked.

bcbuilding, Jun 10, 3:45am
Allow me to broaden your horizons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=b5TN75_k8x8

red97, Jun 10, 3:50am
sweet, that will make monday seem a bit less tedious.
i was waiting for one of them to jump out of the track and nail a spectator

nzeva, Jun 10, 3:54am
Gardening and DIY would be the better choice, as most power tools are used around the home.so lots of knowledgeable handymen to offer advice there. You'll just get smartarse answers in the loony motoring section!

icemans1, Jun 10, 3:56am
LOL nice

jmma, Jun 10, 3:57am
Well, you can piss off then )o:

red97, Jun 10, 4:02am
might pay to google the serial numbers and that should let you know at least which country they weremade in, unless the serial numbers are fake, how ever you get what you pay for so if you bought dirt cheap tools then you got dirt cheap tools.

skin1235, Jun 10, 6:19am
also posted elsewhere

the issue is with CORDLESS gear, so the issue will be the charger systems cos the batteries are rated 18v, the chargers are rated for 110vac input and have been modified lightly so they will work on 240vac, but not for long
cheap gear even if you have to replace the charger with a genuine one, even cheaper if you already have a genuine charger already

some of this stuff is moving at less than what it cost for a replacement or second battery

elect70, Jun 11, 3:39am
The trader will get done byEnergy Safteyas ALL power tools in NZ MUSthavecertoreurostamp& haverequired documentsif asked .A while agothere was cheap crap non compliant air conditioners being flogged off on here ,he got done for $10 000.