1999 Caldina - GT compared to a GTT

georgie_pie21, Jun 5, 1:10am
Hey, I've never had a turbo car before and was wondering approximately how much more expensive the turbo is around town! Any advice!

vtecintegra, Jun 5, 5:12am
Be aware most of the GT Caldinas (and all of the GTTs) are 4WD which is going to have more on an impact than the turbo.

Pretty sure the GTs are all auto too, which again doesn't help at all.

a.woodrow, Jun 5, 5:15am
Hi scotty

ninja_man, Jun 5, 5:21am
how was the holiday! i see your commadore is getting much faster with the new ecu chip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=TlCtVmjK_1A

ninja_man, Jun 5, 5:22am
go for it! you have to own one atleast once in your life. just maintain them regularly as with any car

richardmayes, Jun 5, 5:29am
One of the guys I work with traded in his (older model) Legacy GT for a GT-T Caldina.He reckoned the Caldina got thru the gas just as quickly as the Legacy did. Turbocharger + a button on the steering wheel to change down = a car that is constantly tempting you to put the boot in!

A GT Caldina is just a 4WD Corona wagon with nicer trim. As vtecintegra says, an automatic 4wd is going to drink a little more gas than a lot of more or less equivalent cars e.g. Honda Accords, Mazda 626s.(Also, just because it's a 1990s Toyota it will probably be a bit thirstier than some of its peers too!)

The GT-T Caldina is a GT Caldina with a reasonably powerful turbo engine added. I would expect those to be SIGNIFICANTLY thirstier than the GT. But significantly more fun to own, too.

andrea_w, Jun 5, 5:53am
I could have made a coffee in the time it took that to reach 100 *yawn*. I'd be embarrassed if my performance car did 0-100 in that time. .luckily his isn't a performance car so that time is acceptable for lazy tank of a family car.

johnf_456, Jun 5, 6:18am
That is slow! He will be gone soon enough probably.

_peas, Jun 5, 9:25am
The earlier GT-T Caldinas suffer from warping exhaust manifolds.The facelift has an extra stud added to fix this issue.The other thing to note is that the exhaust housing on the turbo is integrated into the exhaust manifold.All Caldinas of this age are prone to a dodgy dashboard issue but this is easily rectified DIY if you are the least bit practical.I have owned 2 GT Caldinas (still own my 2nd one) and think that they are a great car.It isn't thirsty, 4WD is great in the wet or pushing round corners (even in an auto as all the GT's are) and there is plenty of power there.It won't win drag races at the lights but it will comfortably overtake plebs on the open road with ease.I put some Tein S-Tech springs in to lower it slightly and increase the spring rate by ~5% which has worked wonders.Also threw some Subaru GT-B alloys on it which are a direct fit (Toyota being their conservative selves opted for 15" alloys which are okay but now the car is on rails).The GT-T would def be the more fun drive.Just weigh up what you want to spend running it.The 3S-GTE engines don't like neglect.Of course if its a manual you want its a no brainer. get the turbo.