Toyota cavalier opinions?

Page 1 / 2
milkybar4, Jul 11, 6:36am
hi i need a new car and there's heaps of these on here for sale. Is this cause they're problematic or coincedence!
anyone got mechanically minded opinons! i'd like a toyota or nissan as they seem more reliable i've been told
I can only affor $2000 or "ish" for new one but dont want high kms on the car already. so am limited to what is available.

kingfisher21, Jul 11, 6:38am
Pass the popcorn please.

morrisman1, Jul 11, 6:41am
haha, I love it when this comes up.

Really, Id rather drive a Fiat Multipla than a toyota (Chevrolet) cavalier. The Cavalier was something that toyota got dumped with as the result of an international trade agreement or something like that and it really is a steaming turd. Hideous, unreliable beyond all others, not a real toyota. But apparently they go alright.

Avoid like you avoid rabies, the plauge, Genital crabs, and pink eye.

tgray, Jul 11, 6:41am
Good fuel economy and very reliable, and since it's a Toyota, there's heaps of parts available.
You can't go wrong with a Toyota. Go for it.
ps/ If all 'Toyota' s' were as good as these, I would agree 100% with Jazz.

morrisman1, Jul 11, 6:43am
I saw one in Timaru, it was running on two cylinders - literally.

mono3, Jul 11, 6:43am
wat a dog stay clear
they should have a leamon icon

mono3, Jul 11, 6:45am
hay tgray do u own one!

stevo2, Jul 11, 6:46am
Bugger, I got the pink eye lol

milkybar4, Jul 11, 6:46am
ok thanks. obviously i was right! will stare clear ! thanks a million.

morrisman1, Jul 11, 6:51am
You been scratching your bum!

geedubu, Jul 11, 6:56am
This must be the message board dog of the century.On the other hand, who of all these tme warriors has actually driven one or done the research!They are of course a basic GM car (Chev) branded Toyota under a much-resented trade deal.But at the end of the day, they are not that bad a car, millions were sold in the USA & at a cheap price worth buying.They are not a Toyota with all the "magic" surrounding the brand, but millions of Yanks who have driven this basic machine are still alive, don't be silly.If it is cheap & goes ok, give it a go.

morrisman1, Jul 11, 7:00am
[quote=geedubuwho of all these tme warriors has actually driven one or done the research![/quote]

I dont wan't to drive one or research them. All of the people I know with them have much regretted their decision. I even warned one about them and he proceeded with the purchase.

The other one had a stuffed head gasket I think it was, and a stuffed steering rack. They asked me to fix it haha, told them I didnt want anything to do with it.

gunhand, Jul 11, 7:11am
Sisters got one. Much to my horror after reading so much negativity about them on here. Oddly a year on it still hasnt givin one moments problem.
and here I thought it would only last 2 days before exploding.
I will post as soon as it has a problem.

tgray, Jul 11, 7:35am
Just a few questions:
how many windows still work!
how many warning lights are on the dash!
how close to the red is the temp gauge after a short drive!

gunhand, Jul 11, 7:40am
Um, no problems mean NO PROBLEMS.It gets drivin every day short and long drives.

mono3, Jul 11, 7:54am
chian driven water pump the best aye how many places a have tester that connects to it u ask around!

tgray, Jul 11, 7:55am
OK, it must be the pre 2000 model I presume!
They did address some of the issues in the facelift one.

gunhand, Jul 11, 8:00am
96 from memory.And trust me I nearly had a wee heart attack when she emailed a pic of it, so proud she was.It is in exceptional condition though.
And so far no issues. Even her mechanic said she shouldnt have.
Hey it could blow itself into a million bits anytime but so far nothin.

franc123, Jul 11, 8:17am
Cavaliers represent good buying IMO if you can pick them up cheap, can live with doing the odd repair, and are prepared to walk away if something major breaks. Two customers of mine had/have them, the first was an overseas student who had a 97 I think it was for 3 years, did one service, changed some bulbs and a drive belt, did quite a bit of touring around without problems, and did two tyres to get it through the last wof before getting $1500 back for it after spending $2K buying it. He was more than happy with that, the second was a retired gent who bought a 2000 coupe model with 92k on it for a mere $3k, and hasn't had to do anything other than normal maintenance and brake pads etc. Been trouble free so far and he does several long trips a year to see family, and finds it comfortable to travel in.The point really is that there are cars that are far worse value for money than these in the market.

turton, Jul 11, 8:29am
+10000000000

jenny188, Jul 11, 9:15am
Possibly the worst Toyota produced in the last 20 years.Don't have a technical reason as most other 2.4 liter Toyoters run like jap clocks. (Previa and Camery's). However the Cavalier seem to be notoriously unreliable and as you say " are cheap to buy" or have zero resale.

ema1, Jul 11, 9:58am
That's because in fact they aren't a Toyota for real.
They are just a re badged Chevrolet model that Toyota had to take and sell due to some shonky trade deal between GM USA and US Govt and Toyota, not sure what the deal entailed but Toyota weren't very happy with the out come, not a lot of the type have happy owners either .pure JUNK is what they are.

franc123, Jul 11, 10:27am
Cavaliers were put on the Jap market as a result of Bill Clinton and co putting pressure on their govt to take more US built product, no doubt more than a few of you have noticed that Chev Blazers, Ford Taurus/Explorer, Jeep Cherokee to name a few were also sold there in that period.The most bizarre thing about it was to sell it as a Toyota, they were basically told they had to. their dealers didn't want them and many sat in storage in Japan for a long time, the whole excercise didn't do anybody any good really. The numbers sold there would have been only a few percent of what GM's sales in the US were.

alimac1, Jul 11, 10:35am
Known in the states as a college car, because it was a car you could afford to buy your kids when they went to college, and would probably last the 4 years they were there (and not much longer)

franc123, Jul 11, 10:51am
Correct, they were only intended as a cheap disposable thing, rental car co's also used them extensively. As I said earlier as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations they are an OK buy.