Whats a good car to buy for around $10,000-12000?

Page 1 / 2
cookiepnga, Jul 7, 10:19pm
Any ideas thanks.

mugenb20b, Jul 7, 10:21pm
More info required.

austingtir, Jul 7, 10:25pm
skyline v35 350gt-8 is the best value for money medium-large car (sedan) around in that price range.Great out of town.Need more info on what your looking for.

cookiepnga, Jul 7, 10:38pm
What sort of info! Just a good all rounder! If I had the money I would get a Toyota hilux SR5 extra cab for me and a convertible Audifor the wifey. So a combo of those! Haha

pico42, Jul 7, 10:39pm
What do you want to use the car for!

The less information you give, the more we can wildly speculate.

cookiepnga, Jul 7, 10:46pm
Driving to work and around town approx 200 km a week. The occasional trip around the country would be nice.

hydroman08, Jul 7, 10:50pm
1989 Ford Laser.
Massive wheels, lowered, 300,000+ kms, auto, small amount of rust.
Great stereo.

bellky, Jul 7, 10:54pm
Falcon.

bellky, Jul 7, 11:03pm
Jeepers. It's not pretty imo, I wonder if it is actually any good.

cookiepnga, Jul 7, 11:06pm
Hahaha. That's spot on.

eagles9999, Jul 8, 12:16am
You can buy some nice Mercs for that money. Maybe 150,000km

doggitt, Jul 8, 12:27am
Get a book called the Dog and Lemon guide.

Some very good advice on buying used cars in their. Every car ever sold in NZ reviewed on the expected condition of them today.

sw20, Jul 8, 12:55am
Worst piece of motoring advice to date. Well done.

extrayda, Jul 8, 1:03am
Last time I read the Dog and Lemon, the only good car in the world was a Toyota Corolla.

vtecintegra, Jul 8, 1:40am
I would tend to avoid that model as it has a unique CVT transmission that can be extremely expensive when it does wrong. Its actually not related to the CVT in other Nissans like the Maxima at all.

The 300GT model has a normal 5 speed auto, but adds direct injection which again is a potential future expense (extremely expensive high pressure fuel pump)

lpggas, Jul 8, 2:00am
For what OP wants out of a car a corolla would be perfect , cheap to run & always hold there value

doggitt, Jul 8, 2:09am
It has done me very well over the years.

doggitt, Jul 8, 2:11am
Okay #1. It appears the advice I should of given you was to listen to a bunch of randoms on a message board.

sw20, Jul 8, 2:59am
So you only buy a Corolla or a Camry!

sw20, Jul 8, 3:09am
The author of your bible is a random as well. The only reason the media call him is because he isn't doing anything else, unlike the real players in the motoring world who are too busy making things to answer inane questions from journalists.

curlcrown, Jul 8, 3:16am
The dog and lemon guide is extremely well respected amoung those with no knowlage or experiance of cars what so ever.

hydroman08, Jul 8, 3:27am
ha

sw20, Jul 8, 3:34am
The AA also do the best pre purchase inspections.

austingtir, Jul 8, 3:44am
I actually own one so im not spouting out second hand information like yourself.The CVT in the skyline is very reliable its the speed sensors which stuff out of which there are two.The 5 speed auto is not a very nice transmission at all after you've driven the cvt.The later model 2005 autos up are good but the radiator fans stuff out in those and can cook a motor.The 2.5 and 3.0 are not worth buying the direct injection is far less reliable than a cvt transmission once the k's get up.

wasser61, Jul 8, 4:15am
Don't need to buy one I know what it will say.
Anything from Toyota, best cars in the world, even with half a billion k's on the clock
Anything else, don't touch pieces of crap